Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 748 I bought came with carbon fiber fairings. Some were not properly fitted. Is it possible to fill the holes and re-drill? There's also a crack in the front fender, any way to repair that?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Absolutely, however its going to be hard to find someone that repairs carbon fiber with carbon fiber. Is it painted or just cleared carbon? If its painted or going to be painted have someone that specializes in race bodywork repair it in fiberglass.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's painted

It's painted, I can do it myself in fiberglass, just didn't know if you had to use a special epoxy or something.
Thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you can fibre glass then you can do carbon. The epoxies are the same material to material, obviously use want to chose the epoxy that best suits the temperature and flexiblity of the parts.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Try this fellow http://www.carbonpartz.net/

Something he should specialize in since there is not really anybody that does offer to refinish or repair carbon and a daily bases, sure he could find lot's of customer and probably other carbon vendors who receive almost daily messages from customers looking for this service would be glad to send them his way. :think:

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you can fibre glass then you can do carbon. The epoxies are the same material to material, obviously use want to chose the epoxy that best suits the temperature and flexiblity of the parts.
Well, yes and no. The body piece that you are referring to on your bike may be a wet layup design, which is just like fiberglass. However, not every CF part is made that way. Using an autoclave to make parts, is a very different process, which chemically alters the Carbon molecules to bond to each other which gives it great strength.

In this case, you should be able to fill with CF/fiberglass and drill new holes.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
The 748 I bought came with carbon fiber fairings. Some were not properly fitted. Is it possible to fill the holes and re-drill? There's also a crack in the front fender, any way to repair that?
JB Weld works fine with CF.

Tom

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
Try this fellow http://www.carbonpartz.net/

Something he should specialize in since there is not really anybody that does offer to refinish or repair carbon and a daily bases, sure he could find lot's of customer and probably other carbon vendors who receive almost daily messages from customers looking for this service would be glad to send them his way. :think:

Thanks G:abduct:

it is tough as repairing it can sometimes cost more then new and it also might have its strength compramised

i fix parts weekly FWIW and shy away as people think a repair is like $10 and i can make $1000 worth of new parts in the time it takes to sand and repair a $20 fix

take some pics or send it too me be glad to see what i can do for you

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts