Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm trying to get hold of a small engine cover (tab) for the left hand side timing/alternator cover on an early SS. (See Pic) Some Supersports have two.

You can't buy them new anymore and the local wreckers wont sell me one, so was wondering if anyone might have a munted left hand engine cover which I could beg, borrow, buy or steal one from.

Thanks in advance.
Hame.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Solved!

Thanks for the advice Richard! Awesome. Will try Gotham Cycles and report.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Sorry Hamish,

I deleted my post cos I stuffed up and picked the wrong part from the parts diagram.

My post must have stayed up there for a while before it was really deleted.

The part number of the cover is 827.1005.1A The associated O ring is 93823.2056

My parts list shows there are indeed two on the casing.

I searched by that part number and the "package" part number from the diag = f.m.m 002312

Absolutely nothing came up on the internet, not even gotham cycles.

I reckon if some kindly soul will lend you one, you could get it machined at a metal fab shop.

It is hard to tell from the parts diag, but I think they or it are just sealed covers not exposed to crankcase pressure or oil. As an interim you could possibly fab/bodge a cover to keep the crap out of that part of the engine.

Sorry mate - I was so excited that I thought I found it!

Richard

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It would be pretty easy to make one out of some thin alu. plate. It only covers a hole and isn't subject to high pressures or anything.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not solved!

Bugger, not solved then. :confused:

Thanks anyway Richard. I appreciate the thought.

I was after an OEM one because:
1) I'm making my bike better than new (see performance rebuikld thread elsewhere)
2) Despite it not being under pressure, if I make one, oil might still spew out everwhere and I don't want to take the risk.

I once had a Paso that the oil line broke on. Aside from dropping the bike, (not badly) the oil ended up travelling down through all the glass filiments in the fairing and totally ruined it!

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so does anyone know a bike wrecker who is breaking a few Carby Superports?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I think the covers were also used on 851s and other 90s bikes.The ign. or cam position sensors plugged into those holes on the FI bikes.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the covers were also used on 851s and other 90s bikes.The ign. or cam position sensors plugged into those holes on the FI bikes.
Yep!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've got one which you're welcome to, I'm in Scotland though so it might take a while to reach you. Let me know if you can't get anything more local.

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
AYE !
nows is your chance to make a killing .
Charge him a fortune he will likely pay...
Just messing with yah.
You meet the nicest people hear .

Good to see someone helping someone out..
CLASS ACT!!!

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My '95 carby has both the mounts, but are blanked off with no plates?

Yeah, the later bikes had them blanked off.

Some have one plate, some have two, later ones have none!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I really wouldn't hesitate to just make one. It wouldn't take long and with even a little bit of care would end up looking more trick than the factory ever cared to make it:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
My '95 carby has both the mounts, but are blanked off with no plates?

I was all worried cuz I didn't recognize the part and thought mine was missing somehow as well :)

My 94 looks just like this pic, glad to know its supposed to! You learn something new every day eh? Good luck with yours, sounds like a pretty helpful group of responses here.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts