Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the oil for the first time on my 98 916 (bought it a few months ago). Here is what I found stuck to the drain plug (among other metal shavings):

·
Registered
174 Posts
looks like one of the half rings that hold the valve in the closer shim.

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
yes! and a complete one too! either you are missing one, or a spare one fell into your engine while someone was working/assembling it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
If its extra your in luck. If its one that popped off (guess thats possible) either way I'd say don't start have valves checked. What the heck if you just bought it who says you can trust the last owner actually adjusted the valves nice thing to do to a new to you bike

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yep, half ring. Don't touch the go button, do valve inspection to see why its there and not where it should be.

(Note, you have an opportunity here to upgrade to MBP collets if you feel like it)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Edge looks broken.

My initial guess was part of a broken spring on the back side of the clutch basket.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If its extra your in luck. If its one that popped off (guess thats possible) either way I'd say don't start have valves checked. What the heck if you just bought it who says you can trust the last owner actually adjusted the valves nice thing to do to a new to you bike
Thanks for all of the quick responses!! I got in touch with the previous owner. He installed MBP collets in it, so he said it must've been from the owner before him.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
How could that get to the engine case? Past the rings? It would be nice to have pic of it next to a coin for size reference.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It could travel through the oil passage on the vertical cylinder.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The size reference would be nice. It looks proportionally too fat for a closing shim retainer, but I'll admit that Desmo valves are new to me and my exposure to the parts involved is limited--but not zero exposure. Bit of clutch spring could match the proportions.

Does either end have indications of failure or breakage?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can't right now, but it holds on to a 7 or 8mm valve in place. They're pretty small.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It is a half ring, no doubt about that.
I can fall right down the oil return and into the crank case. It can not make its way into the combustion chamber as some earlier mentioned.

If it really does have MBP collets, then it was probably dropped. I have found a lot of these dropped into engines over the years and have never seen one damage anything. It seems they go directly to the magnet.

If you are handy, pull of your valve covers and see if does indeed have MBP collets, and if not, check to see if all the closers are installed corectly.

It's no big deal

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
There have been postings about finding these bonus parts in the 600 mile service, factory equipped.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The size reference would be nice. It looks proportionally too fat for a closing shim retainer, but I'll admit that Desmo valves are new to me and my exposure to the parts involved is limited--but not zero exposure. Bit of clutch spring could match the proportions.

Does either end have indications of failure or breakage?
I would be very worried if a piece of clutch spring got into his crankcase. There would be bigger problems afoot.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
:eek: It runs fine? ITS MAGICAL! Fill it and drain it again, see if rockers magically appear. I needs me some rockers.

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
Looks like a shim or possibly part of a broken helper spring for the closers.

//amullo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts