Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told they are Sato but they're not. I'm wanting to get a new puck for them. I'm also wondering if (like the Sato's) I can change the link around and go back to normal shift pattern (1down 5up) vs. the current GP shift pattern.
Any help appreciated...
Thanks,
Toran

·
Registered
247 Posts
Woodcraft maybe? They look an awful lot like the Sato. Or maybe even the knockoffs made by Bohemian Racing or Podium Superbike.

Any/all can be google'd...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks nfwb11, I checked all of those but still couldn't find a match. Looked all over bing images and again couldn't find a match... I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some help. I'm guessing maybe a small company or more likely a knock off of something... Any ideas or help appreciated.
Thanks,
Toran

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
The rearsets themselves do look a lot like either Sato or Woodcraft, however I have never seen heel protectors that look like those anywhere. I would remove the rearsets and see if there are any part or identification numbers etched somewhere.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Proph... that was the next order of business, gonna rotate the footpegs forward anyway... I'm doubting that they are in fact Ti as they were described as I am assuming they must be knock-off's, I'm guessing Woodcraft knockoff's. They work well and look nice so I'm not too disapointed I was just hoping for a manual to see if I could change the shift link and make it the normal shift pattern rather than the GP shift pattern. I'm getting used to the 1up 5down pattern but going back and forth between the Tuono and the 998 I'd rather have the same muscle memory in a pucker moment...
I know the Sato shifter link can be changed to switch between the normal shift pattern and GP pattern, does anyone know if they all can be? I assumed that it was the actual clutch itself that would have been changed not simply a link arm but Sato says theirs can be changed so I'm wondering if all of them can...
Toran

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
You can measure the puck size and see if Motowheels , Sato or other rearsets manufacturers offer the same size as a replacement..otherwise you could always just remove them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
GP shift has nothing to do with the clutch. it's all in the way the shift arm pivots. you can always just get a new shifter arm (stock one even) that should still work fine with the rearsets you have. after all the shift arm is not attached to the rear-set in any way.

otherwise they are nice looking rearsets. :) just measure up the ID of the end of the footpeg you may find it's the same as other brands and a end cap from somewhere else should fit it fine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GP shift has nothing to do with the clutch. it's all in the way the shift arm pivots. you can always just get a new shifter arm (stock one even) that should still work fine with the rearsets you have. after all the shift arm is not attached to the rear-set in any way.

otherwise they are nice looking rearsets. :) just measure up the ID of the end of the footpeg you may find it's the same as other brands and a end cap from somewhere else should fit it fine.
BB you rock, thank you, that's some helpful info to a Ducatisti newbie... I'll be looking for a new shifter arm... do you kow if there is a tutorial online for changing it out? I'm sure it's gotta be quite easy but I'd also rather not knacker up the bike out of ignorance...
Thanks!
Toran

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
BB you rock, thank you, that's some helpful info to a Ducatisti newbie... I'll be looking for a new shifter arm... do you kow if there is a tutorial online for changing it out? I'm sure it's gotta be quite easy but I'd also rather not knacker up the bike out of ignorance...
Thanks!
Toran
Toran,

If you can post a picture of the shifter arm and shift linkage assembly it may just be a matter of reconfiguring how the arm is attached. Not positive as I have no idea who makes these rearsets, but it's worth a look at least.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Proph... I'll post some pics this evening. I certainly appreciate any help. I've been planning on bringing the Tuono to a track day in July but am thinking I'll be bringing the Duc now but I'd like to get her back to normal shift pattern. I gotta get the fork seals changed though... right side was leaking a tab when I bought it... probably will need to change out the front brake pads as well I assume. Any tutorials online about how to pull the front fork (to bring them in for the seal change... much cheaper than having the shop do it...). Also any for changing out the two pad Brembo brakes pads?
Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.
Toran

·
Registered
42 Posts
Those looks pretty much as mine which are Acculign rearsets.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Those looks pretty much as mine which are Acculign rearsets.
Bars, you got a pic? I've got acculine on my Tuono and I wouldn't have thought it was the same manufacturer. I know the guy who makes acculign isn't producing rear sets anymore so that could be why I'm not finding them online. Acculign makes a really nice rear set though, I know that much. I hope you are right :)
Toran

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Definitely not acculign... I didn't think so but a little google search confirmed it... thanks for thje suggestion Bars... Proph, I'll try to get some pics of the linkage tonight.
Thanks,
Toran

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
They are definitely not Woodcraft, Sato or Acculign. I've never seen these before so they aren't from any of the "standard" suppliers in the US. They must be from a more obscure manufacturer, but who knows how to track them down.

·
Registered
279 Posts
most of the aftermarket GP shifters are just a simple shift rod that does away with any kind of linkage. stock shifter does have a linkage though (so you push on the shifter it moves the linkage forward or back). you can often change to GP shift (or the other way) by changing the position of the connector on the actual shifter on the side of the case.

just need to check what type of shift arm is on there now to see if you can convert it back, or if you'll need some other bits to do it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
still think they are good looking rear-sets. regardless of if they are copies or ebay specials or whatever. they look fine to me. the eccentric peg mounts are always a good idea as it makes it easy to adjust peg position and the pegs themselves look to be a nice size and have the good/grippy type of knurling on them, and the heel guards look cool too. i say keep them or give them to me!! :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
still think they are good looking rear-sets. regardless of if they are copies or ebay specials or whatever. they look fine to me. the eccentric peg mounts are always a good idea as it makes it easy to adjust peg position and the pegs themselves look to be a nice size and have the good/grippy type of knurling on them, and the heel guards look cool too. i say keep them or give them to me!! :)
Nice BB... :)
They are actually pretty well made and they could be Ti but I'm assuming alluminum. Very light weight. I took them off to make some adjustments and they seem pretty well made. No manufacture markings anywhere though... I'm sure someone will offer a replacement puck for them. I've got a few pics to see if there is anyway to change back to normal shift pattern. Let me know if there is an easy fix for this... (I'm not sure there is though without a new shifter...)
Here are the pics:

It looks like it was installed upside down as it is impossible to back the locking screw out (can't get a head between the case and the screw head). I'm gonna have to remove it with plyers and chew up the screw a bit (I'll get a replacement from hardware store). I don't even know how they would have gotten the screw tightened down to be honest...

So, is there any way to change this back to regular shift?

Thanks a lot for your help guys,
Toran

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
To switch to standard shift you need a linkage and the lever to mount to the rearset itself. I don't see a mounting point on the rearset at all so I think you've got a pair of GP shift only rearsets.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
To switch to standard shift you need a linkage and the lever to mount to the rearset itself. I don't see a mounting point on the rearset at all so I think you've got a pair of GP shift only rearsets.
Plus 1... totally agree with Anthony. These "could" be modified with the addition of some of the stock linkage assembly and then attempt to mount the shift lever concentrically with the lower rearset mount point using a longer shoulder bolt, retaining nuts, delrin washers, etc. etc. but it would be MUCH easier to just purchase a replacement pair of rearsets. If you are not into dropping much $$ on something like this right now you could check the classifieds here or eBay for a good used pair.

BTW, your chain looks a bit slack in that last pic... On my '02 748 the tension is supposed to be set to approx 25mm...

I would assume it is the same on the '02 998, but you should check anyway. That label in the image above is under the CF swingarm cover on yours.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys rock... I'll probably look into some rearsets, I thought the chain might need to be tightened as well last night, I need to clean it and check slack. Thanks again guys.
Toran

1 - 20 of 21 Posts