Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of battle damage from my recent trip through the eastern States - I got one hole and one wacko weld (smoke is coming out of it, obviously needs to be welded) at a spring on my Leo Vince.

Can any Joe mechanic weld this for me or do I need to find someone with a particular setup for the stainless steel? I avoid anything with the word 'torch' like the plague...

I think after it's fixed I'm going to clean it (polish it with dremel to remove all the wierdness) and put a good ceramic wrap on it...any suggestions there? I'm not a fan of coating, prefer the look of a wrap, but convince me if I'm wrong there!

Thanks guys,

Shawn

·
Registered
143 Posts
In order for the weld to be sound you have to have the right equipment to weld stainless. The easiest way is to use MIG, set up with stainless wire and the appropriate gas mixture for the method of MIG welding used (short-circuit transfer, spray arc transfer, or pulsed arc transfer). Short answer, take it to a "race shop" (either bike or auto) that knows how to weld stainless.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad I asked LOL. OK I keep looking for an excuse to go to Z1 as I don't know of any other 'race' shops in Toronto, so hopefully he can do it there!

Thanks man!

Shawn

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
No way would I MIG weld it TIG weld is the way to go and any welding shop should be able to do it. Could do it in my garage if you were close enough. Make sure the battery is completely disconnected before any welding if your not removing it.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
No way would I MIG weld it TIG weld is the way to go and any welding shop should be able to do it. Could do it in my garage if you were close enough. Make sure the battery is completely disconnected before any welding if your not removing it.
+1, find a performance shop, or someplace that has good experience with TIG welding.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I'll find a TIG shop and say use stainless steel rods. I'll pull it off and shove a rag in the heads so I can clean it all up at the same time so there won't be any issues with the battery etc.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Very true, TIG is the best option if the welder is competent. I've seen a lot of people who claim they can TIG weld, but the welds are weak with poor penetration and look terrible. There's nothing wrong with MIG IF it's done correctly. But if you can find someone in you area that is competent with TIG, and it doesn't cost you a fortune, go that way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wouldnt trust any swingin dck but would suggest a good race shop or known performance exhaust shop. Even if they dont necessrily do bikes, they should have enough knowledge. I had local shop do some custom work for me awhile back and they did a perfect job.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I wouldnt trust any swingin dck but would suggest a good race shop or known performance exhaust shop. Even if they dont necessrily do bikes, they should have enough knowledge. I had local shop do some custom work for me awhile back and they did a perfect job.
"Just call me if anyone checks in tonight. And by anyone, I mean any swingin dick" ...love that line.

·
Registered
511 Posts
TIG has a much more controlled heat than MIG. And a TIG welder uses a "torch", but it's a bit different than the torch that you are referring to.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I've used MIG and TIG to weld many SS exhausts - either will work fine IF completed by a competent shop. If there is any advantage to TIG in doing any exhaust work, it is that one can weld a much smaller and thinner bead vs MIG. As to which would work best, IMO I would run from a shop that cannot do Stainless welding with either technology - they can then see what you have and do what is best.

Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts