Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the misfortune to have a car turn across my lane leaving me nowhere to go except into the passenger door. My '95 SS now looks very secondhand with lots of broken fibreglass and bends in the chassis at the steering head, where the lower rails attatching to the steering stem have creased, so the front wheel now touches the horizontal cylinder.
Someone suggested it should be possible to cut the bent bits out, reset the head angle and weld the chassis back up. My question is whether thats a. safe and b. legal.

Thanks

Gary

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Even if you could twist it back into some form of shape, I wouldn't ride it. Insurance is for major losses, not garage tipovers, and I would qualify this as a major, total loss. Let your insurance pay you what the bike was worth and go find another one. If you don't have any insurance, part out what you can and sell it, and then find another bike.

·
Registered
157 Posts
forget cheaper and legal... As for safe, if tis done right, then anything is safe.

It would be better and probably more cost efficient to just replace the frame.

Yes it can be done, but its going to cost time and money. Yes it is legal to have it reworked, but its cost prohibitive.

Get on ebay and look for a frame for it. There are even places all over the world who make custom frames for these bikes. You could even fit a frame from a different model if you wanted. Heaps of HOWTO's on here about doing it.

Or like joe said... let the insurance company fix it up/pay you out or part the bike out. there should still be heaps of good parts on it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
... its sad to hear another 900SS is gone. Much the same type of accident wrote off my 1994 900SS, I hope you are OK, I still suffer knee hassles after my accident unfortunately.

I started dismantling mine last week in fact. I bought the wreck back from the insurance company ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone...

I'll be happier with a new or replacement chassis rather than a repaired one- meanwhile I have to wait for the legal and insurance processes to finish.

Gary

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I’m brand new to this forum and hope this won’t be taken as a free ad, I’m just trying to be helpful. I crashed my 2003 800s on Macquarie Pass in 2008. The frame, triple clamps and front wheel were all heavily damaged. I good mate stripped the bike and another good mate trailered the parts to Laurie Alderton, phone 02 9609-2889, Smithfield, western Sydney. He and his son did a super job at a very good price. I don’t think the cost of freighting the damaged parts to Sydney and back would be too expensive. All that I needed after the parts were straightened was to get the fairing repaired and frame and fairing resprayed (I took the opportunity to change the colour to red instead of the original silver-grey). I’ve taken the beloved 800 for many a fast run since and everything is spot on. Not bad considering the machine was thought a write off.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Hi, welcome to the board, bike is looking pretty well
with its red and black colour combo.

:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Have repaired many '90s SSs including my almost-new '94 (which was distorted on those front 4 x bars behind the steering head) - doing a '95 at the moment. Ardill Engineering in Adelaide is your best bet transport-wise from Darwin. I've known him (Snowy) and worked with him since he straightened my very-bent 750 Sport in 1975... Tell him Pat sent you.
He will tell you whether it's fixable, straighten a second-hand frame for you if you go that way, etc. He is very good at frames, very honest, and not dear. Ph. (08) 82985963. I don't think he's too busy at the moment, but that won't last!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Hi I’m brand new to this forum and hope this won’t be taken as a free ad, I’m just trying to be helpful. I crashed my 2003 800s on Macquarie Pass in 2008. The frame, triple clamps and front wheel were all heavily damaged. I good mate stripped the bike and another good mate trailered the parts to Laurie Alderton, phone 02 9609-2889, Smithfield, western Sydney. He and his son did a super job at a very good price. I don’t think the cost of freighting the damaged parts to Sydney and back would be too expensive. All that I needed after the parts were straightened was to get the fairing repaired and frame and fairing resprayed (I took the opportunity to change the colour to red instead of the original silver-grey). I’ve taken the beloved 800 for many a fast run since and everything is spot on. Not bad considering the machine was thought a write off.
I have heard good reports about Laurie's work. Maybe a phone call or an email with pics to him to get an order of magnitude estimate before you decide on write off or cash plus bike as a repairable write off. I guess it depends on how much you love that bike, not just the model.

Richard

·
Registered
51 Posts
bent chassis

Gary, the new or used frame is the way to go. ANYTHING can be fixed, as was mentioned. But the amount of labor dollars would be 2 or 3 times what you could get another one for . all the bikes we sell and fix are insurance totals. but yours sound like a "totalled" total. part it out or change the frame. most insurance companies will sell it back to you as the owner for salvage at a cost way less than we would have to pay for it as a business at the salvage auction. cheers, kent from addams autocycle

·
Registered
218 Posts
Chassis pullin

Gary
if your frame tubes are twisted that bad then you're in for a major repair.
As with all these things if its done properly its fine- but as the othe guys are saying here it can be mighty expensive. There are plenty of frames on ebay/ other sites.

A client of mine here in Christchurch is a structural repair centre for cars- but is in the process of getting a bike bench for frame repairs. It is possible to fix an aweful lot of stuff- properly. His bench will be able to measure frames to 0.5mm in 3D at various points. If you're buying a bike thats been down the road- even slowly- you can get piece of mind for about $100NZ by getting the bike on a bench like this. In about 30min they can give yo a print out with the exact measurements of the frame and what the measurements were when it was made. (currently there are only 1-2 that can do this in NZ)
They can even adjust steering head angles for race bikes etc. I saw an older model GSXR race bike getting its head pulled 1/2 degree to have the same geometry as the newer models.
It's pretty trick stuff.
Another thing they can do now is use microwave heating to raise the temperature of the metal/ alloy to a fixed temp to straighten without over heating and changing the meturalagy(?) which is the major reason repairs can be dodgy- once you change the state of the metal/ alloy thats when its weakened.
So as I said it can be repaired but with plenty of stright frames around why bother unless it's minor- which yours doesn't sound like!
Hope it all goes well and you're on two wheels again soon

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1 for Laurie in Smithfield
He is a guru, he has fixed one of my bikes beautifully and was VERY reasonably priced.
Im told he has repaired bikes for the Ducati race team?

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Laurie repaired my badly buckled alloy sportclassic wheel rim.
He was quick and quite reasonable.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts

·
Registered
2008 HyperMotard 1100S
695 Posts
Anything can be fixed, bent frames included. I don't know who you'd call in Oz, so I would just call a couple of larger racing outfits (surely mcnews.com.au would have a list of the big privateers) and see who they use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts