Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the 900SS FF be turned into a good touring bike by changing the stock aggressive handlebars/clipons to a more upright position? Does anyone do this and where can I find the clipons or riser bars to do this?

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
IMHO, any SS is inherently an awesome "touring" bike. But first, these caveats: It's a One-Up tourer and you must fit it to you. I've done several CT to CO/WY camping trips on both a '97 & '96 SS/SP. I happen to like the stock bars lowered a bit, but that's just me. Throw a set of Aerostich Dry Bags and SeaLine dry bag on the back, add a good tank bag and off you go. You will be able to carry more than you need. And, when you hit those awesome twisties you won't be wishing you were on your Duc and not the Beemer/Gold Wing. You WILL be on the Duc.

bruce19

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Sure you can tour with an SS

The '99 and newer SS works fine also for "sport touring" duty also. Most riders will want some sort of bar risers (I use Ferraci), a softer seat and a slightly taller windscreen (I have Zero Gravity), but once these changes are made, it'll work fine.

You'll never regret riding an SS, especially once you get to the "twisties", where its light weight, stable chassis and wide torque band make cornering an effortless affair.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm installing a set of CycleCat risers on my '02 SS. They are a high-quality product. The problem I'm having, though, is clearances at both the fairing and tank when turning from stop to stop. In fact, depending on how I adjust them to get the most radius, the bars hit either the tank or fairing long before the steering stops make contact. From what I can determine after much study is that the bars are a bit too long (they are almost three inches longer than stock), and would work fine if I trimmed them by 3/4 to 1 inch. Has anyone out there had the same problem, and if so, how did you remedy it?

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
If they made hard bags for the SS, I could get rid of my ST2. Since they don't, I changed the ST2 ergonomics to be the same as the SS (lower bars and rear-sets).

Tom

·
Premium Member
8,757 Posts
m3nokes said:
I'm installing a set of CycleCat risers on my '02 SS. They are a high-quality product. The problem I'm having, though, is clearances at both the fairing and tank when turning from stop to stop. In fact, depending on how I adjust them to get the most radius, the bars hit either the tank or fairing long before the steering stops make contact. From what I can determine after much study is that the bars are a bit too long (they are almost three inches longer than stock), and would work fine if I trimmed them by 3/4 to 1 inch. Has anyone out there had the same problem, and if so, how did you remedy it?
I had the Cycle Cats installed on my 01 900SS (since sold). I had the same problem and the installation was difficult too. (I witnessed it) The directions were incomplete and not clear enough. Though they are good looking, they don't reach their full potential because of clearance issues. It was dissappointing. I think next time I might try the risers that encompass only the brackets and you keep the stock bars. I think Ferrachi makes them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
John said:
I had the Cycle Cats installed on my 01 900SS (since sold). I had the same problem and the installation was difficult too. (I witnessed it) The directions were incomplete and not clear enough. Though they are good looking, they don't reach their full potential because of clearance issues. It was dissappointing. I think next time I might try the risers that encompass only the brackets and you keep the stock bars. I think Ferrachi makes them.
Thanks for the input, John. It is rather disappointing, but I'm going to try shortening the bars. Maybe then I'll be able to make use of their full-up position. I'll post the results here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts