Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, the 2nd hand Hypermotard I bought in Thailand had a massive engine failure the day after I bought it. (unbeknown to the previous owner he sold me a ticking time bomb..... it's a long story)

I've managed to source a 2019 Supersport S 939 Engine here in Bangkok to replace the engine but from what I've read online is that although both engines have the same displacement, they are slightly different.

I'm concerned that if I fit this engine without the wiring loom, computer etc etc I'm going to run into trouble.

p.s. it's not easy to source or import engines into the country due to massively hiked customs taxes.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
234 Posts
What I've been told (never tried it, so take this FWIW), is that inter-model engine swaps on later model Ducatis are effectively impossible. The internals can be swapped around in many instances, but the case halve and head castings are unique to each model, and will not fit in the frame of another model Ducati.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Based on what I've read about the changes through the various model years, I would be extremely careful about verifying that the '19 does not require the same year ECU and loom due to sensor and software differences.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts