Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My trip meter on my Ducati 750ss 1992 does work, however, I can’t reset it. If I try to turn the black knob under the fuse box back (turn to left) it’s doesn’t go. The knob moves a little but is basically stuck.

I tried some WD40 and both the cable and switch but it does not seem to work. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
709 Posts
My trip meter was working fine, I had the cluster out a few weeks ago and now mine is not working, I'll be looking at it this week & I'll post what I find--could just be routing of the cable

·
Registered
709 Posts
My trip meter on my Ducati 750ss 1992 does work, however, I can’t reset it. If I try to turn the black knob under the fuse box back (turn to left) it’s doesn’t go. The knob moves a little but is basically stuck.

I tried some WD40 and both the cable and switch but it does not seem to work. Any suggestions?
OK Here is what I found--The trip reset cable is held into the speedo by a small pin, with mine the pin fell out, so to repair this so it will not fall out again I used a small piece of Safety Wire, this fixed the issue. You have to line up the holes in each piece-the speedo & trip cable

·
Registered
709 Posts
OK Here is what I found--The trip reset cable is held into the speedo by a small pin, with mine the pin fell out, so to repair this so it will not fall out again I used a small piece of Safety Wire, this fixed the issue. You have to line up the holes in each piece-the speedo & trip cable
I did not have to remove the front fairing or speedo, remove port side fairing, then that the 2 screws that hold the fuse box in place-remove the cover around the fuse box, move the fuse box out of the way-that will give you enough room to put the safety wire in place-whole job took about 15 min.

·
Señor Member
8,102 Posts
I, too, found using safety wire was the fix I needed when the pin was lost when I last had the bike apart.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I, too, found using safety wire was the fix I needed when the pin was lost when I last had the bike apart.
Hell I use safety wire to keep my fuel lines in place--If it's good for my race bike then it's good for my street bike as well

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, very useful!
@Renn, could you elaborate on how you fixed the problem with safety Waite? I’m not much familiar with safety wire and I’m curious how you resolved the issue!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thanks for the replies, very useful!
@Renn, could you elaborate on how you fixed the problem with safety Waite? I’m not much familiar with safety wire and I’m curious how you resolved the issue!
OK on the trip cable the end that goes into the speedo looks like brass if you look closely there is a small hole thru the side, then if you look at the fitting in the bottom of the speedo where the trip cable attaches there is a shaft coming out of that fitting. That shaft also has a small hole in it.--Line the holes up from the cable and the shaft, when the holes line up slide a piece of safety wire thru the holes so the cable is now attached to the shaft on the speedo. then bend the safety wire around having the 2 ends of the wire basically even with each other. now twist the wire ends together so it can now not come apart-(I have and use safety wire plyers so I get a nice even twist on the wire). Once this is done cut the excess wire end off-(I leave about 15mm in tact ) then I take a small pair of needle nose plyers and bend what I left back into itself (this is to keep the sharp wire from cutting anything you included-This wire is sharp and you will cut yourself if not careful. IMPORTANT-The part of the wire you cut off make sure you get it in a trash can-NOT ON THE Floor---you will roll your bike or car over it and receive a flat tyre for your trouble

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you for the link I might need it for my tach one day. Going to try this fix tomorrow, I actually found the pin on my floor but did not connect it to my trip reset going out a few weeks before.
Those reverse thread Veglia pins are about $30. I've lost a couple on Guzzi V11 Sport and given up. Kinda pain since I use the trip to estimate gas fill ups before the low light comes on.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Mine got stiff due to corrosion in the cable. I took it out of that hole and had it hanging down underneath, tied off to the side with a zip tie. It used to look strange when resetting the trip meter but it turned nice and easily! If you find yours is corroded you could give it a good blast with WD or something and flex it around and back and forth to loosen the cable strands.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Those reverse thread Veglia pins are about $30. I've lost a couple on Guzzi V11 Sport and given up. Kinda pain since I use the trip to estimate gas fill ups before the low light comes on.
I also lost the reset knob on the Veglia speedo on my Bevel Duc and as you say they are stupid ($64!!) expensive. I discovered that the male thread on the Veglia reset shaft in the speedo was the same as the female thread on a Demel tool mandrel and the mandrels aren't expensive. I fabricated a metal eyelet and epoxied on the end of the mandrel shaft, removed the retaining screw and I keep the mandrel on my keyring. When I stop for gas I thread it onto the reset shaft, reset the trip meter and then remove it and no more lost stupid expensive knobs.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Interesting,... I think yours might be different that the 900SS models - unless - did you remove the rubber piece that is on the dash to get access to the parts that turn?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes the Veglia speedo on a Bevel is different than the remote cable actuated ones on the 90's 900SS. On a bevel the reset threads directly into the speedo but I thought LowRyter might have this type of reset on his V11 Guzzi and the info might be of use to him.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also lost the reset knob on the Veglia speedo on my Bevel Duc and as you say they are stupid ($64!!) expensive. I discovered that the male thread on the Veglia reset shaft in the speedo was the same as the female thread on a Demel tool mandrel and the mandrels aren't expensive. I fabricated a metal eyelet and epoxied on the end of the mandrel shaft, removed the retaining screw and I keep the mandrel on my keyring. When I stop for gas I thread it onto the reset shaft, reset the trip meter and then remove it and no more lost stupid expensive knobs.

View attachment 980096
View attachment 980100
Lordy lordy. Thanks for that.

You wouldn't have the reference Dremel part number? There are several threaded mandrels. This one should be reverse thread I think.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sorry but I don't have the part number. I picked up my Dremel to do something and I noticed the mandrel in the tool case and thought it looked about the right size so I tried it and it worked for me. It was the one that came with the tool originally. It's not a reverse thread on my speedo. This is a '74 Bevel Duc but It was an actual basket case (OK it was boxes) when I bought it so I have no idea if the speedo was an original but it is a Veglia. And now I see I made the attachment for the key ring from a ring terminal. Sorry it's not a great photo but you can see how it works. The reset works so easily I don't even need to thread it on completely.
IMG_20200216_110409448.jpg

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thanks for the comments and explanation Renn!
No problem mate --that should fix your issue unless the shaft is seized

1 - 20 of 20 Posts