Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

So last night I checked the valve clearances on my 2004 749s with 21,400 miles and all, but 1 valve were in spec per the factory tech manual. Specifically, one of the intake valve closers was at .020mm instead of .015 per the factory tech manual.

Mike at EMS, sent me these specs:

For your bike, I have asked a few very competent Ducati mechanics and the following clearances are recommended:

Inlet Closer- .075 mm- .10 mm
Inlet Opener-.10 mm
Exhaust Closer- .05 mm- .075 mm
Exhaust Opener- .15 mm
Last year, at 15,xxx miles, the dealer said all the valves were within spec, but the mechanic was unable to tell me what the cam timing was set at since there was the service bulletin, which revised the intake/exhaust cam timing. I'm the 3rd owner of the bike and don't have the service history of it. So, I am going to assume that it is set at the factory timing, pre-revision.

Lately, the notorious stalling issue has become significantly worse and has been stalling several times at nearly every stop I make. :(

My question is, do the valves all need to be shimmed exactly to spec in order to properly set the cam timing?

Thanks,

TD

·
Registered
917 Posts
when you set cam timing, you have to make sure to take up all of the clearance between the cams and the rocker arm using feeler gauges. lift the valve open 1mm and record the degree. there are several write ups online for cam dialing but you need some sort of a fine increment height indicator to properly do it. Brad the bike boy has a lot of good write ups on this subject. I used his settings when I degreed my 748

in good practice, you should set your valves to the spec you are most comfortable with. I would be happy using Mike's specs.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
Curious, Why 3?
Getting ready to go at this myself. Why three gauges? Simple set up convenience, I'd imagine. One for finding TDC and one for each cam. My plan is to use one gauge and a piston stop (for TDC). I have the factory bracket that easily mounts the dial gauge in the correct spot, but only one of them, so I will simply do one cam at a time. Might take longer, but it's still winter!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Nice! I was trying to figure out a way to mount my dial last night. I think I'm going to tap some double-female ended sleeves to thread the dial posts to the valve cover studs.

Curious, Why 3?
like stated above, just for convenience and it is easier for me to read and understand when you can see the cylinder and head working together at the same time. but its totally unnecessary. :nerd:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts