Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Camshaft markings, id numbers

31K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  belter 
#1 ·
i'm putting together a list of camshaft id markings (numbers, letters, etc). anything anyone has would be helpful. i don't really have anything from 748R onwards.

#3 ·
I can pull out the 999S cams and get that. If someone doesn't chime in on the 848/EVO/1098/1198 cams, I'm sure I can dig through and find them. When you get it on the site Brad, I'll add to the mix.

#15 ·
I noticed you installed S spec cams and a smaller 50mm exhaust....noticeable improvement?
I'm asking because 1st: seeing a 50mm on a 999 is unusual and 2nd: I installed S cams and used a smaller 54mm exhaust with my 102mm BCM overbore kitted 2003 999.
The 54mm didn't work very well with my stock 100mm bore engine IMO..well the ECU that came with the kit seemed to improve things more than the larger exhaust did. I noticed this especially after I sold the full exhaust and went back to a slip on so I could fit the up spec swinger(which greatly improved handling-good trade off). The slip definitely worked better on a stock engine. I continued to run the slip after I had the S spec cams and 102mm bore kit installed but decided later to try another 54mm full system again, this time the full system worked perfectly, marked improvement no doubt.
So I'm curious how the smaller exhaust worked for you...IMO most owner waste their money on the larger exhausts (57mm is common) to no avail with respect to performance gain.

#7 ·
How did it go with this list?

I got some numbers and based on this some questions..:confused:

My standard 998:
Vert Intake cam- VA-2D
Vert Exh cam- VS-2D
Hort. Intake cam- OA-2D
Hort. Exh. cam- OS-2D

My 998S race bike (with a engine from a 999 from 2005).
Vert Intake cam- VA-3G
Vert Exh cam- VS-3G
Hort. Intake cam- OA-3G
Hort. Exh. cam- OS-3G

I believed that the engine from the 2005 999 (deep sump EU model) was with S cams. But I now have them lying newt to each other and they are exactly the same...:think:

Anyone who know about the name change for the cams?

#9 ·
cams #

I bought a pair of spare 999 heads (03) and the cams in these heads were --

OA-2D, OS-2D, VA-2D, VS-2D

look to be the same as what is in the 998.?

#17 ·
I got a set of cams for a 04 749S with the following numbers:

VA-3G
VS-3G
OA-3G
OS-3G

As Brad has measured a lot of cams his comment to these cams are that they are the longest duration of any of the Testastretta cams.

#22 ·
2002 998 biposto
VA-1C
VS-1C
OA-1C
OS-1C

found this to odd because my other 998 motor has the 2D cams and the 1C cams are the ones used on the 999s exhaust. would these be original or did someone put them in?

Reactions: Peter Smith
#23 ·
I believe the 1C cams were originally used in the 996R. They are the same spec as the 998S and 998R. The R had high compression for a bit more HP. the 1C cams would not be original in a Biposto but would have been fitted later.
I have a 998 Biposto and have some 1C cams (from ebay as 996R cams) cam to install next time I check the valve clearance.

#25 ·
I believe thebetter ms were originally used in the 996R. They are the same spec as the 998S and 998R. The R had high compression for a bit more HP. the 1C cams would not be original in a Biposto but would have been fitted later.
I have a 998 Biposto and have some 1C cams (from ebay as 996R cams) cam to install next time I check the valve clearance.

So my question is which set of cams is better, the 3M/1C setup or the 1C/1C setup?

#29 ·
what are the cam numbers for a 2010 848 evo? i have a set of 2010 evo heads cam numbers are os-10e oa-10e vs-10e and va-10e