Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry mods if this is the wrong area to post this but I feel that this is a high traffic area and am hoping that someone that is currently or was stationed in Korea would read this:eek:

Me and the family will be stationed in Camp Casey, Korea and was wondering if anyone that was stationed there brought their bike with them or if it's even worth bringing:confused:

Thanks in advance:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good god man, keep your bike away from Korea. The traffic there is insane. I bought a 250cc bike when I was over there to get around but I would never never ride my own bike there.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'ld take it, as you're NOT out any money to ship...I assume since you said "you & family", you are going on an accompanied tour for multiple years. If it's that bad there, you don't HAVE to ride...but I assume you would want to try it out. If you wanted to ride & didn't bring your bike, you'ld be assed-out to get it shipped there for free.....Hell, if I could take mine to Iraq, I'ld do it just for the opportunity to ride & not be sooo miserable!
Just a thought!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If you are concerned about the condition of the bike when you recieve it in Korea, I'd be hesitant to have it shipped. I work with a guy that PCS'ed to my unit from Germany with a custom chopper. The shippers did a half assed job crating it up. As a result his bike (which was very nice, btw) ended up with broken mirrors and signals, and a scratched tank and frame. Just thought I'd give you that food for thought.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I offer free food and board for all military owned Ducati super bikes in beautiful California. Your bike will be given only the finest Shell products and excercised regularly in the sceanic mountain roads surrounding the Monterey Bay and Highway one. We have other Ducatis to keep them company and since we are Honorably discharged vets ourselves, you can rest assured they will be taken care of by our thoughtful staff...mainly me.

Feel free to PM me.:D

·
Registered
308 Posts
I was at 2nd Tank from '96 to '97. What a shit hole. The only "bike" you're gonna wanna take is a bicycle. And you might just want to buy a cheap one there at the PX. Also, a lot of soldiers just buy one from someone who is leaving. Then, when you leave, you can sell it too. Are you unaccompanied? Unless the rules have changed, you're not gonna be able to bring a motorcycle there anyway 'cause you won't be authorized to ride it around. Typically, anyone north of Seoul is not authorized to have a Privately Owned Vehicle (POV). Plus, it would get torn up there anyway. I've never seen a POV there that didn't have dings (even the new ones have dings!). Korea is not Germany (I did 8.5 years in 2 of Gelnhausen). Suck it up, do your year, and get outta Dodge. I will tell you this, if you have a bicycle there, you'll ride it everywhere and your 2-mile run times will plummet. In fact, the funny thing is, I was just out riding my mountain bike about a half hour ago and was thinking about this really steep hill on the back of Camp Casey. LOL. Good luck there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Casey,_South_Korea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelnhausen

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'ld take it, as you're NOT out any money to ship...I assume since you said "you & family", you are going on an accompanied tour for multiple years. If it's that bad there, you don't HAVE to ride...but I assume you would want to try it out. If you wanted to ride & didn't bring your bike, you'ld be assed-out to get it shipped there for free.....Hell, if I could take mine to Iraq, I'ld do it just for the opportunity to ride & not be sooo miserable!
Just a thought!
Oh, yeah,family is joining and bike will be shipped with the household goods:D

If you are concerned about the condition of the bike when you recieve it in Korea, I'd be hesitant to have it shipped. I work with a guy that PCS'ed to my unit from Germany with a custom chopper. The shippers did a half assed job crating it up. As a result his bike (which was very nice, btw) ended up with broken mirrors and signals, and a scratched tank and frame. Just thought I'd give you that food for thought.
I'm not really worried about the bike being crated going to Korea but I do worry on how the craters from Korea would crate my bike back:(

I offer free food and board for all military owned Ducati super bikes in beautiful California. Your bike will be given only the finest Shell products and excercised regularly in the sceanic mountain roads surrounding the Monterey Bay and Highway one. We have other Ducatis to keep them company and since we are Honorably discharged vets ourselves, you can rest assured they will be taken care of by our thoughtful staff...mainly me.

Feel free to PM me.:D
You my friend, will be the first person I'll contact if I take you up on that offer:D

I was at 2nd Tank from '96 to '97. What a shit hole. The only "bike" you're gonna wanna take is a bicycle. And you might just want to buy a cheap one there at the PX. Also, a lot of soldiers just buy one from someone who is leaving. Then, when you leave, you can sell it too. Are you unaccompanied? Unless the rules have changed, you're not gonna be able to bring a motorcycle there anyway 'cause you won't be authorized to ride it around. Typically, anyone north of Seoul is not authorized to have a Privately Owned Vehicle (POV). Plus, it would get torn up there anyway. I've never seen a POV there that didn't have dings (even the new ones have dings!). Korea is not Germany (I did 8.5 years in 2 of Gelnhausen). Suck it up, do your year, and get outta Dodge. I will tell you this, if you have a bicycle there, you'll ride it everywhere and your 2-mile run times will plummet. In fact, the funny thing is, I was just out riding my mountain bike about a half hour ago and was thinking about this really steep hill on the back of Camp Casey. LOL. Good luck there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Casey,_South_Korea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelnhausen
Times have changed I guess because officers(with authorization from Commander of course) are authorized to drive POV's:D Enlisted personnel still can't drive though unless your E-7 to E-9 (don't quote me on that though, not too sure:eek:)
I really would like to know if anyone was in Korea last year or so because I found out that they do have a track here in South Korea (Ansan Circuit/Speedway.) If anyone was able to ride, drive, or do a track day in that Circuit/Speedway?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts