Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted a remote cam on their bike? I hear the best location is on the side of the front fairing. Trying to stay away from duct tape idea. Any thoughts on mount and location for bullet cam?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just looked, I think zip-tie it to the mirror looks the best to me.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
There is a camera mount which screws into the ring around the gas cap. Maybe someone can find a link to illustrate this better than I can explain it.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
do you want it mounted behind the windscreen, so you can see the speedo, or off the side for an unobstructed view off of the road? Also, do you expect to be able to turn the camera on/off from its mounted location? reach is important if that's a requirement.

I wouldn't think the mirror would be a good option as they tend to shake too much to video from. I found a way to attach a mount to the fairing screws below the mirrors which are really solid as it goes all the way into the fairing stay, but it think it will be too far to activate the camera while riding. If this isn't a problem, you may want to look into those screws for mounting points.

please post pics once you come up with a solution!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
snlsmith- I think the frame is the same. Keep me posted on what you and your friend come up with for that mount.

Bill-I've seen that mount. I think they sell it on ebay also. But, I would rather shoot the video off the side than through the windscreen.

martys- I'll go out and inspect that spot below the mirror. I can operate the recorder in the tank bag via a LANC remote which I'll mount on the handle bars. Definitely don't want the position behind the windscreen that shows the speedo-Can't have people seeing how slow I'm going!

I'll try to get some pics up. Thanks All.

·
Registered
439 Posts
RAM mount option

do you want it mounted behind the windscreen, so you can see the speedo, or off the side for an unobstructed view off of the road? Also, do you expect to be able to turn the camera on/off from its mounted location? reach is important if that's a requirement.
My reply may be off the intent of the original poster. I went for teh RAM set up and bought the following:

1 x RAM-B-231C1U - this is a 3-piece kit. Standard u-bolt handlebar fitting with the RAM ball mount above; screw (butterfly) lock arm clamp; and a top ball mount with standard camera screw thread.

In order to fit to my ST3 I use the component below, attached to one of the bolts of the brake lever clamp. The U-bolt was bought for a standard fit as I am touring in Europe on a KTM SuperMoto renter in a week or so :))))

1 x RAM-B272 : the 45deg angle bracket with the 9mm hole.

testing it on my ST3 recently it worked pretty well but certain revs triggered the auto-stab in the camera and messed with its head somewhat. At other times the rigidity of the RAM System was not problematic to the picture and very reassuring from a security perspective.

Mounted to the RH bar makes it very easy for me to turn the record button on/off and even zoom, as required.

Dave

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I used a ram mount (U-clamped ball plus a short arm and a ball attached to the bottom of my camera) attached to the mirror stalk with a Sony Digital camera and was surprised at the stability of the footage , very little shake , the inherrent slack seems to absorb the vibration and shakes form the bike.
I will try and cut some footage to paste but no promises as not done that before.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
vibration reduced

Interesting to hear that your method was largely vibe-free. I must try that in due course - thanks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is an interesting idea and I'm surprised it would be vibration free but you're probably right, the components of the Ram coupled with the camera weight likely add considerable dampening.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Dont have the right programme to take a clip from my DVD and dont have the correct cable (i-Link) to connect my old camera to the laptop so cant post a clip.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Recently, I've been playing with a GoPro 'Hero' camera:

GoPro Hero

I fly RC helicopters and borrowed it from a friend to do some in-flight video. After playing with it for a while, I stuck it on my helmet and went for a ride. It actually shoots some pretty nice video...

The version I used is the wide angle (170*) lens, they also have a 70* that I think would be better for bike video, as you loose some sense of speed and lean angle with the wide angle lens. It comes with a variety of mounting options, and is small enough to put about anywhere. Sound isn't great, though, on the helmet, all it got was wind. I think it would do better behind the windscreen or on the fairings somewhere, where it would be closer to the engine sounds.

Anyway, here's some video on the Duc :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON6bZcTKSG8

And, if anyone is interested, here's the helicopter video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iQH-UYC20o

1 - 12 of 12 Posts