Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Earlier this month I bought two different tools from Heartland Products, a cam tool and a rear wheel nut tool for my 998.

Well, it turns out I wasn't able to fit neither the cam tool, not the nut tool.

Here are the links to both items:

Ducati Cam Holding Tool 749 999 998 Testrastretta Cam Belt Lock Made in America | eBay

Ducati 46mm 41mm Rear Axle Nut Socket Tool | eBay

The cam tool teeth appear to be spaced farther away than the cam gear. I tried pushing around a little, but they definitely don't fit.

The problem with the nut tool appears to be that the center hub diameter is larger than the inner diameter of the rear axle (sprocket side, I wasn't able to test it on the wheel side).

I reached out to Heartland and they replied immediately offering a refund, so no complains there, good customer service. But they also mentioned they've been selling tools from the same batch for a year without complains.

Has any of you had a similar problem? Their response makes me wonder whether I am doing something wrong or my bike may be somehow different... it's a standard 998 biposto, so it shouldn't. I guess...

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I can see why the wheel socket might not fit and I guess either you need to grind away some of the inner hub of your socket or return it for another. Can you tell by how much it doesn't fit?

Actually also check the hollow rear axle on your Ducati, has it ben damaged (i.e has the bike been fallen off, laid over or even the axle leant on in any way), if the axle stub is knurled then the tool may not fit. Run your finger inside the axle and see if there any lip that can be felt at the edge. If you feel a lip, then you can grind this excess material off and socket might fit.

Personally I use regular 46mm socked on the rear wheel.

Can comment on the cam tool unless you can provide a picture with it offered up to the cam.

Andrew...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,

Earlier this month I bought two different tools from Heartland Products, a cam tool and a rear wheel nut tool for my 998.

Well, it turns out I wasn't able to fit neither the cam tool, not the nut tool.

Here are the links to both items:

Ducati Cam Holding Tool 749 999 998 Testrastretta Cam Belt Lock Made in America | eBay

Ducati 46mm 41mm Rear Axle Nut Socket Tool | eBay

The cam tool teeth appear to be spaced farther away than the cam gear. I tried pushing around a little, but they definitely don't fit.

The problem with the nut tool appears to be that the center hub diameter is larger than the inner diameter of the rear axle (sprocket side, I wasn't able to test it on the wheel side).

I reached out to Heartland and they replied immediately offering a refund, so no complains there, good customer service. But they also mentioned they've been selling tools from the same batch for a year without complains.

Has any of you had a similar problem? Their response makes me wonder whether I am doing something wrong or my bike may be somehow different... it's a standard 998 biposto, so it shouldn't. I guess...

Thanks for your help.
Here's a couple pics of the tool against the cam gear.
I'll post the wheel nut tool later tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Push it IN towards the engine. Like a jigsaw puzzle piece. Don't push it INTO the pulley. If keys in.
Yep, that's the way I tried to do it, to fit it in between the two cams, but it wouldn't fit. I took the pictures this way because it's easier to see the difference this way than trying to put one on top of the other. I'll see if I can get a better picture with an extra pair of hands.
I think it's very strange that both tools appear to have sizing issues.

·
Registered
107 Posts
looks like the tool i use for my 95 916...........

Reactions: Nikk11

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The top should be about the same, but the total length of the tool is shorter because the 998 has the Testastretta engine. Does the 916 cam gear also have 20 teeth? Thanks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
The top should be about the same, but the total length of the tool is shorter because the 998 has the Testastretta engine. Does the 916 cam gear also have 20 teeth? Thanks!

Desmoquattro has only 18 teeth ( unless someone corrects me )

I think that all the tools look similar, so it's hard to say from a pic .... here's a pic of mine for a 996

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went back and counted them... the Testastretta has 20. I didn't know the cam cogs changed with the engine head change, but it appears to be so.

Maybe they're using the same pattern they use for the 996, they just shortened the tool to fit the 998? Go figure.

I looked into the whole situation in more detail and I think I could file the teeth on the tool to make them fit. See pic with drawn red lines.

The tool was $9, I think it's going to cost me about as much to send it back. I may as well try.

Thanks for the discussion.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
That cam tool is not correct.

As for the rear when and sprocket, I purchased that one, same color, and it works wonderfully.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts