Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Searched but didn't find anything relating to the cam timing being affected by too loose belts. I recently sorted out my new (to me) bikes lean/fuel starved problem. As embarrassed as I am to admit, it was a sticky fuel valve that wasn't completely open. Upon , ahem, fixing that, a friend and I changed the cam belts. We lined up the timing marks before removing the old ones, and verified the same marks/positions for the new. We noticed the old belts were not tensioned properly. I didn't get any records with the bike so for all I know, they're original from 1994.
After we finished, the bike started right up and seemed no different, but the first time I rode it, it seemed a bit softer on power. Is that possible?

·
Registered
293 Posts
The belt pulleys and the heads/cases have small timing marks. You should check that they align after a belt change. It is easy to tell by the if the belt timing is right or not.

·
Grouchy Old Fart
25 Posts
Belts and Cam Timing

Slightly Loose belt tension should not affect your timing by any noticeable amount. The driving side of the belt remains under nearly constant tension throughout the cycle. Timing is determined by the length of the belt between the driving pulley and the driven pulley. Your belt would probably have failed long before it stretched enough to affect the timing significantly.

It is much more important to ensure that you have the pistons in the proper position and the index marks lined up properly. There are numerous posts on this forum as well as references to instructions and instructional videos that can walk you through the task. There is no need for me to duplicate this body of good advice here. This a reference to one of the better articles Ducati Suite- Belt Tension Adjustment

Just for the record, I use a 5mm allen wrench for a "go" gauge and a 6mm for a "no go". I use the same on both cylinders and have had no problems on my 99 Supersport

I would also refer you to LT's maintenance and modification guide available on Amazon or from Desmo Times LLC - The Home of DIY Ducati Maintenance Parts and Accessories .

It's not nearly as daunting a job as a lot of people make it out to be. As with many things Ducati, patience and attention to detail will pay off handsomely

Good luck

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the belts were no big deal to change, and we triple checked the marks afterwards, Im just wondering if anyone has ever advanced(or retarded) the cam timing a tooth to good effect.

·
Registered
836 Posts
to do a slight advance or retard, you need to get the adjustable cam gears which the later model ss's use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts