Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of going through the cams/shims on my 2000 996. I need to replace a couple cams, and they should be here in a few days. I thought I would get started on installing the shims and cams that I can, but I am stumped on the point of re-installation.

On 2 of my cams, the horizontal exhaust and the vertical intake, the oil ports don't line up correctly. I would feel pretty embarrassed if it is something simple, but I am pretty sure it was like that when I removed the cams. You can actually see the small oval mark on the aluminum support where the oil passage port was blocked off. I marked one of the castings with a black marker where I thought the port should be (and it's not).

Has anyone seen this? The motor did not look like it had ever been apart. Do I have the wrong supports, or am I just making a stupid mistake?

Thank you for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So interesting thing; I found a photo in LT Snyder's book and his cam supports have the exact same pattern and don't match either on the same cam support. Now I'm even more confused.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
ok, i didn't look at the pics as i expected you were looking at the other side.

you put it back the way it came apart? the cams will tell you where each one has to go.

the cam supports can go in one of two places, and of those two places one is obviously wrong when you fit them.

i've never even considered what you're looking at. cam comes out, cam goes back in again. simple.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, i didn't look at the pics as i expected you were looking at the other side.

you put it back the way it came apart? the cams will tell you where each one has to go.

the cam supports can go in one of two places, and of those two places one is obviously wrong when you fit them.

i've never even considered what you're looking at. cam comes out, cam goes back in again. simple.
I am positive they are going in as I took them out. I am very meticulous on labeling everything, I was just confused why the oil ports would not line up. I didn't remove the supports from the cams and the cams have the designation cast into them so it's easy to verify and make sure I was putting them back the same way.

Maybe the ports are for something else I just don't understand what.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
oil comes into the head via the plate on the lh side and flows into rocker pins and through pins to rh side of head. flows into cams via lh end caps. rh end oil holes are pretty much redundant as far as i can tell.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oil comes into the head via the plate on the lh side and flows into rocker pins and through pins to rh side of head. flows into cams via lh end caps. rh end oil holes are pretty much redundant as far as i can tell.
Thanks for your help. That's the conclusion I was reaching as well, it just seemed odd to have holes that are blocked off, especially when there are grooves in the cap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts