Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that a $800 Cam kit for 848 will gain about 9% more ponies...

How does this work ? aggressive timing ?

Worth it ?

Should do it at 3rd service, they have to check the values...

Thx!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I was told that a $800 Cam kit for 848 will gain about 9% more ponies...

How does this work ? aggressive timing ?

Worth it ?

Should do it at 3rd service, they have to check the values...

Thx!
I'm not familiar with this kit, but "race" cams trade torque for horsepower, which is always great for the track, not so much for the street. Unless you intend to spend a lot of your time at track days I'd be wary of a change to race cams.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
For the street, I'd much rather have torque. The track on the other hand is a different story...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I'm not familiar with this kit, but "race" cams trade torque for horsepower, which is always great for the track, not so much for the street. Unless you intend to spend a lot of your time at track days I'd be wary of a change to race cams.
TQ cannot be traded for HP as it takes TQ to make HP.

The cams are approximately 10% more lift and the same duration. This will not affect your lower rpm TQ levels, however it will add HP all across the rpm range. It will subsequently increase your peak TQ and HP points in the rev range.

FWIW, its not as easy to just "drop in cams" and get the HP increase as claimed. You have cam timing/valve clearance, valve sizes, and valve-piston relief/squish/running compression increase/ignition timing/fuel mapping and intake/exhaust tuning to think about. Not to mention, you can "over cam" this motor with what's out there(I think where rz was going with his comment), unless you plan to put some serious bucks into it and have it be unstreetable(is this a word?).

The moral of the story is you can get other cams to get more HP, however choose wisely as it may cost a lot more than face value.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
WOW! They finally did it!

SKU 96453509B

848 performance exhaust cam kit with intake trumpets and ECU.

Factory engine upgrading kit designed by Ducati Corse. The kit includes exhaust camshafts with racing profiles, 70 mm intake funnels in aluminium and ECU with dedicated map for use with the complete exhaust system part no. 96119008B. The same technology used in the World Superbike Championship allows a power increase of 7%.

$800 bux sounds like a pretty good deal.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
TQ cannot be traded for HP as it takes TQ to make HP
Yes and no.

Maximum possible torque only depends on displacement and CR.

Where the torque peak occurs depends on many things.

So, by modifying things to make the torque peak at a higher RPM gives more peak power, but often moves the torque curve to the detriment of low end torque.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Are you talking about this

Ducati Store :: 848/1098 :: Engine Parts :: 96453509B

Ducati 1098R Corse Intake/Exhaust Kit
[96453509B]

Factory engine upgrading kit designed by Ducati Corse. The kit includes exhaust camshafts with racing profiles, 70 mm intake funnels in aluminium and ECU with dedicated map for use with the complete exhaust system part no. 96119008B. The same technology used in the World Superbike Championship allows a power increase of 7%.

$2,497.20

I think it is for the 1098r not the 848

1 - 8 of 8 Posts