Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was at my local dealer yesterday, donnelson in st. louis. any way, i asked them about gettin the 6k service done, and he also recommended having the cams checked. said alot of them werent degreed right from the factory. is this true? is it worth another 500 bux? is there anyone besides the dealer within a reasonable distance from stl? thanks, paul

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
stickcar1990 said:
was at my local dealer yesterday, donnelson in st. louis. any way, i asked them about gettin the 6k service done, and he also recommended having the cams checked. said alot of them werent degreed right from the factory. is this true? is it worth another 500 bux? is there anyone besides the dealer within a reasonable distance from stl? thanks, paul
yes to your first question but 500 bucks extra to do it is outrageous
and a holdup if i must say so. i would keep looking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cams are supposed to be degree'd at 600 mile service on the new bikes...if you have a decent service dealer of course. It also appears from your avatar that you're talking about a 996. If true, I would suggest you have belts changed. Normally this is a 12k service item but on a bike that old, belt change is a must. Ducati recommends belt replacement every 12k or 2 years, whichever comes 1st. A belt failure could be quite fatal for motor.

$500 is EXTREMELY high priced however if your bike does not have adjustable sprockets, it could be that cost estimate includes STM or similar adjustable sprockets. If so, $500 is likely fairly reasonable. Seems like alot for a set of 4 aluminum sprockets and an hours worth of labor but it is the best means for properly and accurately degreeing cams which will net better throttle response and a stronger top end. Take care.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. that price was at 3hrs of labor, keep in mind this is while i would be having the 6k service done. i asked about the belts and he said that i would be doing it 6k miles early(i want it done regardless). it was 500 because thay said i had to have some nuts and woodruff keys replaced, nothing said about new cam sprockets. they also said i probably wouldnt get out the door on the 6k service for less than 6-700 labor and parts. i thought it sounded high. maybe i should buy a book and do it myself. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Actually cam degreeing takes up to four or five hours. Reason being all of the rocker covers must be removed to gain access to the valves, then measure your clearances, at which point you have to install dial indicators on the intake and exhaust valves, install a dial indicator in the spark plug hole, install a crank degree wheel in the alternator cover, overtension the cam belts to 230hz then roll over the engine taking measurements which include intake valve opens at "x" degrees (after top dead center) it closes at "x"deg. after bottom dead center the exhaust valve opens "x" deg. abdc the exhaust valve closes "x" degrees after TDC then you do the "math". You now have your engine's settings for one cyl, So you would adjust to your target numbers. Now remeasure check your work then move your dial indicators to the other cyl and repeat the process when all of your adjustments have been made remove the $3000 dollars worth of tools retension the belts to factory specs. then reassemble the motorcycle i.e. belt covers, sparkplugs, fueltank, battery etc.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I can confirm that it's more than a coupla hours labor! :) Have you priced the woodruff keys to actually give you the cam offset you need? They're EXPENSIVE!

I think $500 is ballpark for the work required, plus keys.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let me clarify. i wasnt rippin on anybody, just askin if it was necessary, and if the price was reasonable. i know what its like bein in a service department, i am a ford certified senior master technician. the service writer there was the one that told me 3hrs, and as i stated, the 500 was including the keys and new nuts.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
If your a ford mechanic, you definatly have the mechanical aptitiude and most of the tools needed to do the work on your bike. If I were you I would learn to work on my own bike, but then again if I wrenched on cars all week I wouldnt want to come home and wrench on my bike. Two good manuals are the Haynes and LT Synder (Desmo Times). They have guided me through alot on the tear down and rebuild of my 748/853.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts