Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the 24 month replacement time line can be extended for those of us unfortunate enough to live in regions that experience harsh winters by backing the tension roller off during storage months, ie if I store my bike 10 months out of 24, can I extend the service life of my belts to 34 months?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
can I extend the service life of my belts to 34 months?
Sure you can. I know a guy who ran the original belts on his 998 for something like six years and 22k or 24k miles....It's all in what you feel comfortable with and the level of chance you want to run. Personally, I go every 12k miles or 2-4 years, but some of my bikes will get 12k miles in less than a year and a half....and a couple others may take 3-4 years to get 12k miles, but the 12k or 3-4 years is what I feel comfortable with. You and others may not. (The first belts on my 748 were changed out at 6k miles and they were close to 4 years old, if you count the year it sat on the showroom floor before I bought the bike).

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
stryder,

That sounds like the most rational idea I've heard yet at avoiding the 2yr syndrome. Similar to getting the tires off the ground with stands for long storage.

Since you would be getting that far in, you could just mark them, pop them off, and take them inside the house with you. It sounds like a lot more effort, but you're 90% there anyway.

Have a good one.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
It’s my understanding that a recent Ducati Tech Bulletin has changed the service requirement to mileage only. Check with your dealer.

That’s good because the logic of changing the timing belts every two years escaped me.

The only explanation that I can come up with is that without SOME time limit, the timing belts would drop off the owners maintenance radar scope. The usual reasons for maintenance on a time schedule, don’t seem to apply here.

It’s easy to understand a mileage limit on timing belts since (except under unusual usage) it correlates directly to the time exposed to a high temperature environment, cyclic fatigue and wear.

So what’s so special about timing belts that they need replacement on a time schedule?

If you buy a new bike and then put it your private collection and don’t ride it for two years do you have to replace the belts? Of course not. Conversely, if you have a track bike that lives at the red-line don’t wait to change your belts until 12,000 miles is up.

You need to use your common sense here.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Relieving the tension during storage seems like a good idea to extend the belt life from the time side but you are really only temporally saving the cost of the belt. You in turn would be doing most of the job of belt replacement and resetting tension twice or more when it did come time to replace the belt. The cost of the belt is not too bad (it varies with dealers), but the job is time consuming.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Relieving the tension during storage seems like a good idea to extend the belt life from the time side but you are really only temporally saving the cost of the belt. You in turn would be doing most of the job of belt replacement and resetting tension twice or more when it did come time to replace the belt. The cost of the belt is not too bad (it varies with dealers), but the job is time consuming.

Jerry
04 ST4s

When I store my bike for 5 months a year, I take all the fairings off, say for the side under seat panels, remove the ecu and instrument pod and battery to store them in the house, so taking the battery tray and belt covers off to release the tension is not that onerous in my case.

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s my understanding that a recent Ducati Tech Bulletin has changed the service requirement to mileage only. Check with your dealer.
IIRC, there's a new, (2009?) tension spec, which is not as taut as the old, hence the extended mileage, but I was not aware about the removal of time limits. Is that true?

·
Registered
256 Posts
IIRC, there's a new, (2009?) tension spec, which is not as taut as the old, hence the extended mileage, but I was not aware about the removal of time limits. Is that true?

I'm really interested in this. My '06 ST3s (bought new in Feb. 07) has around 7800 miles on it and, as I was preparing for an oil change this weekend, I noticed again the two-year recommendation on the belts and wondered if I should have it done now instead of waiting until 12,000 miles. (I have my other Ducati and my classic Kaw to ride also, hence the slow accumulation of miles).

If anybody gets the final word on the time limitation change, PLEASE post it!

Thanks.

2006 Ducati ST3s (RED)
2006 Ducati Sport 1000 (RED)
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 stock/mint (VERY RED)

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Cam belt/bearings info please

Hi Guys,
I just decided to bite the bullet and do a service on my 2000 ST4 as there ia no-one here in southern spain i'd trust to do it.
so i've few questions that i'd apreciate some help with.
Where is the best source for guenuine Ducati belts?
Is it really neccessary to tension them harmonically?
Who sells special tools for the job?
Mine were changed in 2004 :-( at 5000 miles, I bought it in 2007 and now it has 20,000 miles on it so I looked at one of them today and tension seems Ok/slightly slacker than I'd expect.:eek:
Also the left hand roller bearing has some slight play in it which may or may not be normal. Do you recomend changing these at the same time?
I have searched some forums but need some specific answers please,
Cheers
Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Just quickly mine were looser than expected when i did 10km service. And I mean by quite a bit!

I did use 5mm allen key method and then left it on the slightly looser side of 5mm at 6mm and they were still tighter than what I had found on inspection. They had been changed 7000Km early by Ducati mechanic.

Total 12000km on them now and 20 months. I am going for 3-4 years and 20000km whichever comes first but inspect every 5000km.

Next time I will buy a microphone and do the 110hz pitch setup as described elsewhere on this site.

I do not thrash the bike so I am comfortable with my service interval and A also ride it on long rides only and at least once a month.

www.desmotimes.com can sell you all the parts required.
Not sure on the roller.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Thanks very much for your input. i'll bear that in maind.
been to your lovely country twice and Rototuora is awseome.
Kiwi's always deliver in my experience,
Brad :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts