Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I was just leaving lunch with friends when one said "that's weird, looks like you're missing something there." I thought he was just reacting to the tubular design, but he insisted, "no, look--right there". Sure enough, no cam belt cover. WTF?

So, I've got a fully faired '99 900SS and no idea when/where/how I lost a cam belt cover. I would think I would have noticed it missing if it had been gone for long. Not to mention I have no idea how a cam belt cover just falls off a fully faired bike without notice. I did a track day at the end of last season and passed tech inspection, can't imagine they'd let that slide. So now I'm left wondering (a) how long has it been gone and (b) what do I do (aside from replacing the cover)? Should I be worried about any real damage? Yikes!?!

Any suggestions?

Leigh

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And just as an update--went back through pictures--it's been missing as long as I've owned the bike (it's missing in the 'for sale' ad pictures I bought it from). Somehow I passed NESBA's tech and VA inspection missing all cam belt covers, and never noticed it myself. I've got covers on order, but now I'm still wondering about lasting damage. Should I be replacing the belts while I'm at it?

Leigh

/feeling like a moron.

·
Registered
381 Posts
People run them without covers intentionally all the time. There are some trick billet Speedymoto covers that basically just cover the pulleys and leave the belts exposed. With a fully faired bike I don't think going coverless is a big deal at all........it definitely didn't do any damage to the bike.......

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
People run them without covers intentionally all the time. There are some trick billet Speedymoto covers that basically just cover the pulleys and leave the belts exposed. With a fully faired bike I don't think going coverless is a big deal at all........it definitely didn't do any damage to the bike.......
Hmm, ok, now I feel even dumber. The horizontal cam belt just seems like it'd be picking bugs, rocks, etc up like crazy. :think: . I'm still leaning towards putting some covers on her...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The stock ones can be a bit of a pain to put on/ take off imo. I just put some carbon covers on mine wich seem to be easier to use.
Shame they are behind he fairings so not much carbon bling :p
The speedymoto ones seem pretty sweet aswell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts