Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen my Hyper in almost a month, but now that my parts are here I'm getting close to having it back again. Just one question, though, are the base Hyper's calipers two piece? Until today I never gave a shit, and since my bike is stashed away from prying eyes I can't just go take a look for myself.

Thanks!

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Blast this infernal machine!!

Maybe the billet "HP Series" two-piece and GP master will help improve the braking of my standard POS. :confused:

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
Brembo nickel plated M4 monobloc calipers as seen in June 09 Motorcyclist. Check their website.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Brembo nickel plated M4 monobloc calipers as seen in June 09 Motorcyclist. Check their website.
I'm a bit concerned because I didn't buy monoblocks, but here's where I'm at, having already spent the money:

Hyper S (I don't have these, I have a standard Hyper):

Brembo "HP" Billet Calipers (what I bought):

I wonder if I am actually improving my stopping power or just putting on shiny new toys. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
557 Posts
You should be increasing the stopping power over your stockers. The 848 does not come with monobloc's I am pretty sure they come with two piece radials similar to the ones you purchased.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The HP calipers which you have brought are very good quality. They are billet 2 piece, the advantage of billet is that there is no porosity in the brake piston cylinders. The disadvantage is meant to be that as they are bolted together, the bolts can stretch slightly under large braking forces. With the cast monoblocks it is the other way around, as they are 1 piece there are no bolts to stretch, but as they are cast there can be imperfections and pourous sections in the cylinders which means the seal may not be as effective and there can be more friction.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The HP calipers which you have brought are very good quality. They are billet 2 piece, the advantage of billet is that there is no porosity in the brake piston cylinders. The disadvantage is meant to be that as they are bolted together, the bolts can stretch slightly under large braking forces. With the cast monoblocks it is the other way around, as they are 1 piece there are no bolts to stretch, but as they are cast there can be imperfections and pourous sections in the cylinders which means the seal may not be as effective and there can be more friction.
In my business it seems to go the other way.

The early 911S aluminum calipers (monobloc) are notorious for flexing under high braking forces. 9 times out of 10 you step on them and go faster. :)

The steel Carrera or 911SC calipers (both 2 piece design) actually stop better because they don't flex as much under the high braking forces.

It's funny to me how that seems to run the opposite in the motorcycle world. Time will tell, I guess.

FWIW, the brakes I bought go for $1,200-1,500 a set and the M4 monoblocs of the Hyper S go for $900-1000. For the price I paid I'm of the opinion that if they stop as good as the Hyper S brakes I'll be more than happy. Plus, I'll have the only Hyper base model with cool binders. :cool:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Put it this way, they won't stop anyworse than the cast monblocks on the Hyper S

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
i'll take your parking spot at the clubhouse. :)

hope all is well my friend

1 - 15 of 15 Posts