Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my front calipers with the monoblock ones like are on the Diavel or the 1198. I'm not doing it for any type of performance upgrade, I just think that a bike as nice as the PP Multi or any Multi should not have the bottom shelf 696 calipers up front(just looks cheap in my book). I saw the nice monoblocks on the factory Ducati PP Race bikes in a photo and started thinking...
With that, has anyone done this or know if any foreseeable problems with balance or bias?? Or should it be a simple replace, bleed and ride?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I know this isn't the answer your probably looking for, but if you search member name "larossa" and/or "ebrew" topic "monoblock" in this subforum you will find a bunch of info.

The information is kind of scattered all over the place, there isn't one specific thread, or none that I have found. Good luck...from the reading I've done it's not a simple bolt on, bleed, and ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Once you get the 2 lines made ($150 + - ) is about one hr worth of work, IMO well worth it! You can use M4 off SFS 1098, 1098sbk, 1198 and so on, I choose 1198 M50 and I couldn't have been happier.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
The angles on the banjo mounts are different on both the loop line and the ABS line

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I can give you the measurements of the lines too, I have ti find the recept first.
The pads I used OEM ones and work well on my bike but I'm sure there's always a better set I suppose.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
That would be great if you could thanks.
For the M50 I ordered from Spiegler:
1 line EL-0508-002-002
1 lline EL-1892-000-002

I believe 0508 is 508mm, 002's are the 20 degrees banjo ends.

These are for the M50, I'm pretty sure they are the same for the M4 but please check before you order, I'll take no responsability if they don't.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,315 Posts
So it seems Spiegler EL-0510-002-002 and EL1900-002-002 are not available, unless they changed their part numbers. The bike doesnt even appear as a bike they have lines for. I overheard Panigale lines? If someone that has a link to the lines I need to make this upgrade would help out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Awesome!

Thank you LaRossa!
only thing to watch M50 vice M4 is the master, the M50s are recommended for a 16mm brembo master, your stocker is 17mm, the M4s are a bigger piston and recommended for a 19mm master i.e. RCS19, which may cause issues if you want to retain the stock handgards.

To little master makes the brakes soft, and to much makes them wooden.

I recently added M50s to my 2012 with the stock master and they are a HUGE improvement, but they do lose just a little feel with the bigger master compared to my OEM equipped Super Duke R.....

Some of that may be the 85 pounds heavier that the Multistrada weighs in at.

·
Registered
869 Posts
ComplexCarlo, this is a 4 year old thread.

If you need brake lines to do this conversion, Galfer will make custom lines with the appropriate banjos.

I did a full front brake conversion on my Aprilia tuono, I switched out the calipers to M4's, same as what was on my 1098 and put a Brembo Radial MC 19/20 on it, with Galfer brake lines..

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
So it seems Spiegler EL-0510-002-002 and EL1900-002-002 are not available, unless they changed their part numbers. The bike doesnt even appear as a bike they have lines for. I overheard Panigale lines? If someone that has a link to the lines I need to make this upgrade would help out.
They were available as of a couple of weeks ago when I ordered those very same lines, so I think you're looking at the wrong section of Spiegler's website. They are not a stock item. You order them as a custom product here ...https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake-lines-accessories-tools/custom-brake-lines.html

·
Registered
371 Posts
I called Spiegler directly back in March and ordered the set referenced earlier in the thread with no problem.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You may want to order one or two of these these for the top of the ABS unit ... Ducati Brembo Clutch Slave Cylinder Black Banjo Bolt Bleed Bleeder Air Valve | eBay

I redid my rear brake line a few weeks back, and am putting on M50s later this fall.
In all honesty if you don't have a linked system, you don't need a bleeder for the front system, the rear on the other hand is MONEY.

...and if you are changing calipers at the same time there is no need to order banjos for the rear system on the ABS module, just use the bleeder/banjo off of the right front caliper, it's basically the same thing.

I called Spiegler directly back in March and ordered the set referenced earlier in the thread with no problem.
I did mine in June, they aren't on the site because its a custom order, Spiegler is WELL aware of the numbers.

The references you found are line specs (EL = Estimated Length) 1900 (1900mm) 002 (20° bend banjo fitting). We did not design this kit but it is all over the forum(s) and we sell a couple of them every week or Two w/o any incidents so I am sure that it works/fits. You will not be able to order the kit off of the website because it is a custom kit. Depending on Color prices will be as follows for standard colors (Clear Line with Silver fittings) you would be looking at 76.95 for the long line (1900mm) and 64.95 for the shorter line (510mm) if you prefer custom colors add 5$ to each line. To order just give us a call @ 937-291-1735 M-F 8-6 (Eastern).

Brian Hart
Spiegler Performance Parts
Director of Dealer Development
Sales
Phone:937-291-1735
Fax:937-291-2368
That is from June by the way

The only issue that I ran into is that I had a hard time finding banjo's for the calipers as apparently the Brembos (both the P4 and M50s) are about 3mm more shallow than "standard" so I had to get a little creative with crush washers initially.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
...and if you are changing calipers at the same time there is no need to order banjos for the rear system on the ABS module, just use the bleeder/banjo off of the right front caliper, it's basically the same thing.
Yeah, but I play in blues band so I have a thing for banjos. Plus, I've got the whole project already mapped out so it's good to go. Similar to a setup I found on one of the UK sites.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,315 Posts
ComplexCarlo, this is a 4 year old thread.
Super well aware of that little fact. I would rather not make another thread about the same topic. Thanks.

They were available as of a couple of weeks ago when I ordered those very same lines, so I think you're looking at the wrong section of Spiegler's website. They are not a stock item. You order them as a custom product here ...https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake-lines-accessories-tools/custom-brake-lines.html
I got ahold of Brian this morning. Ordering in the morning, thanks!

Was this the EL0510 and EL1900? Thats is what was recommended to use in the Canyon Chasers video.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, but I play in blues band so I have a thing for banjos. Plus, I've got the whole project already mapped out so it's good to go. Similar to a setup I found on one of the UK sites.
I did both as well. However, as I noted I don't think the front actually does anything, the ABS module isn't the high point in the system, the master is.

.....Like I said though, its absolutely money on the rear circuit, YMMV if you have a model with linked brakes, I don't.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts