Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use there bikes for a bunch of reasons.

• They are ready to run. I don't need to track prep the bike. No gas or tools needed.
  • If I use my bike I will put a hurting on a set of tires. The cost of new tires is about the same as the cost of using there bike.
  • If you ride your bike and have a mechanical problem you are done for the day
  • If you use there bike and have a mechanical problem…you get another bike
  • If you wreck your bike your screwed
  • If you wreck there bike your done for the day but only out a $1,200 deductible ( this is a BIG one :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm planning on going on Saturday in September and if I like it I'll sign up for the next day as well. I'd love to use my hyper but i think the benefits of using a track ready bike and not having to worry about malfunctions and buying new tires outweighs the cons. anyway I rode superbikes my whole life and it just made riding the hyper that much easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It seems significantly cheaper to use your own ride than the beemers. (~$350 instead of $675) For those of you who have done it, what do you say? The hyper or the beemer? Is it worth the extra scratch?
I have done perhaps two dozen CCS days at many different tracks, including VIR, Mid-Ohio, and Watkins Glen (!). I have taken my own bike, and have rented theirs, too. I have also done about a dozen track days per year since 2002 with Sportbike Track Time and Mid-Ohio's track org, and have been to Barber, Beaver, Gingerman, Putnam, and Road America.

The chief reason I stopped doing CCS is that they will not let you use the brakes during the morning sessions. I don't have a problem with that for new track riders, but once you gain some experience, the no-brake exercise is no-fun. You want to turn fast laps on the track? Then you have to learn to use the brakes. CCS doesn't split riders by ability, so you have to do their exercises in every session.

Then, it turns out these other track day orgs have their own training sessions that are comparable to CCS, while being quite a bit cheaper.

One thing I did in 2000 was fly out to California to ride Laguna Seca for a CCS two-day camp riding their rentals. That was a blast, and I otherwise would never drag my bike from Ohio to CA for a track day. That is probably the only circumstance that would get me in to a CCS track day event in the future.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I love my hyper but used their bmw for level 1 at Sears Point a year ago. After the class I was searching Craigs list for a used one. It was so easy to ride and I'm not crazy about sport bikes. Power comes on gradual, unlike my 1100 evo, and pulls harder and harder as the rev's build. As much fun as the low end torque of the hyper is, it could be a handful on the track because it comes on so abruptly. After the class, I told my wife that was the most fun I ever had. Period. I was out in April for level 2 but we got rained out and now I'm signed up for Oct 1 at Sears Point again. If you want to take more than one class, sign up way ahead of time as I tried signing up 6 weeks ahead of the class and it was already full. The classes fill up early. They are popular for a good reason.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I have done perhaps two dozen CCS days at many different tracks,

The chief reason I stopped doing CCS is that they will not let you use the brakes during the morning sessions. I don't have a problem with that for new track riders, but once you gain some experience, the no-brake exercise is no-fun. You want to turn fast laps on the track? Then you have to learn to use the brakes. CCS doesn't split riders by ability, so you have to do their exercises in every session.

One thing I did in 2000 was fly out to California to ride Laguna Seca for a CCS two-day camp riding their rentals. That was a blast, and I otherwise would never drag my bike from Ohio to CA for a track day. That is probably the only circumstance that would get me in to a CCS track day event in the future.
I am assuming that you mean CSS. Doing lvl's 3 & 4 we could use the brakes in every session. It is lvl's 1 & 2 where they ask you not to use the brakes for the first 2 sessions. Between taking lvl's 1&2 last year and 3&4 this year, I have really came to appreciate the no brake drill. It still bothers me that the BMW has little to no compression braking compared to Ducati's, but then again...:p By learning how fast you can enter the corners without brakes will give you a reference point to work from for entering the corners with brakes.

As for bikes, thus far I have used the school bikes. If my memory is correct $1200.00 is the max that they will charge if you crash. Price goes down from there depending on damage. That $1200.00 wouldn't even cover me having to replace the termmis on my GT. Y$MV though.
What they teach doesn't really apply to any particular bike, shoot they use to have a Harley only school and I think it was the same drills that they teach for sport bikes.

@ shaunmed if you have a chance pick up a copy of Twist Of The Wrist II. The school uses it as a basis for the classes. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts