Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm thinking of heading out to California Superbike School on Dec 4th at Infineon Raceway. May use the ZX6r for the extra 200 bucks. Hell of a lot cheaper than wrecking my 99r even with skins.

You folks have any input?

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I did that exact thing at Pocono earlier this year. The 636 is a blast and it is comforting to know you can basically walk away if you trash the thing. You may get a lot of philosophical responses to this question based on how Code runs his schools. I'd say take level 1 and level 2 on back to back days, then decide how to incorporate what you learn into your riding. No one says you have to take everything they teach as gospel. Try everything they suggest, then pick and choose what works for you.

Tony

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I took the 2 day course in Vegas early this year. I really learned a lot and it definitely helped out with my riding on both the track and the street.

Their bikes are a lot of fun but you are going to want to take your bike on the track at some point.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
brianmdavis said:
Hello,

I'm thinking of heading out to California Superbike School on Dec 4th at Infineon Raceway. May use the ZX6r for the extra 200 bucks. Hell of a lot cheaper than wrecking my 99r even with skins.

Hey Brian

Depending on the weather at that time (guess Im a puss) I may be interested in that, I had a blast at infineon and would love to learn more more more!!!
If it weather was bad I would probably use their bikes, if good I would use my own.

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
What is the financial obligation if you throw one of their bikes?

·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lastblast said:
Hey Brian

Depending on the weather at that time (guess Im a puss) I may be interested in that, I had a blast at infineon and would love to learn more more more!!!
If it weather was bad I would probably use their bikes, if good I would use my own.
I'm in if you are. Sounds like real fun. Ill have my bike track ready in a few months.
John
Don't know the financial obligation if you wad a bike up. Ill read further

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm in too

brianmdavis said:
I'm in if you are. Sounds like real fun. Ill have my bike track ready in a few months.
John
Don't know the financial obligation if you wad a bike up. Ill read further

Hey Brain

I have been to level I & II earlier in the year. I brought my 749 Dark at that time and learned a lot. My friends were amaze the next time they saw me on a Sunday ride. They complimented me and said that was money well spent. If I can finish therapy and get back on my bike by Dec I will go, but only if the weather is great.
I would recommend using your bike. I used there ZX6r lean bike and hated the body position and stop the session because I felt unsafe on the bike.
If you are afraid of crashing your bike, by all means rent there bike. Some people have a tough time sleeping because they crashed a $30,000 bike.

I will take the new thoroughbred to the track for level III & IV on Dec 4 & 5.

Matt

·
Registered
150 Posts
I thought about using their bike, but then I thought what would that teach me about riding when it comes to MY bike? Needless to say, I went to the school on my own bikes through level 3. Level 4 is remedial, but focused on what the student wants to work on while working more closely with an instructor.

After the lean bike drill, I had to go out on a session on my own bike and it was quite unnerving to have to adapt to it since it was so different than their lean bike - a Kawi 636. One of the things they can do while you're on your own bike is to have you adjust to the correct body position on it rather than on their bike. The Ducati superbikes are longer than the Japanese bikes, and the ergonomics are not the same, so keep that in mind.

Definitely take the class as Keith provides an excellent curriculum where every aspect of riding is broken down. As stated before, accept the information provided to you with an open mind and use what works best for you. You'll love L3...it was my favorite.

·
Registered
411 Posts
brianmdavis said:
Hello,

I took 1, then the next year I took the 1 on a monday and the 2 on a wed. I think you should definately take your own bike. First off, it's cheaper. 2nd, you are much less likely to wreck during their school then you are on a normal track day, or even hot rodding on back roads. You will be working on techniques, and particular parts of the course, and you should not be trying for best lap times.

I thought I learned 4x as much in the 1st course as the 2nd, which makes sense, as they are teaching the not-so-subtle stuff in day 1.

Kurt

·
Registered
536 Posts
brianmdavis said:
Hello,

The only way to truly appreciate the 999R is to take it to the track, although it would not be wise to go out there with those beautiful "almost irreplacable" FILA Carbon Fairings. An extra set of Fairings will cost you less than $1k, and it is a small investment in comparison to the value of the bike, the peace of mind that comes with it... and of course, the opportunity to take your bike to the track anytime you want. Why pay $200 to use a ZX6R in place of a 999R, that does not make sense at all. Cheers

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
angie-r said:
The only way to truly appreciate the 999R is to take it to the track, although it would not be wise to go out there with those beautiful "almost irreplacable" FILA Carbon Fairings. An extra set of Fairings will cost you less than $1k, and it is a small investment in comparison to the value of the bike, the peace of mind that comes with it... and of course, the opportunity to take your bike to the track anytime you want. Why pay $200 to use a ZX6R in place of a 999R, that does not make sense at all. Cheers
I agree with you to a point, maybe Brian shoud rent the bike and bring the 999R, get a feel of the atmosphere, see if he fells comfortable out there with the other riders and with the track and if he fells good enough about it, take the 999R out later.
Infineon is not the easiest track to learn on, for me it was one of the more trickier tracks I have been on, I did not catch on right away too it like other tracks. And in the dead of winter to boot? Just my 2 cents, and I have taken my 999R to the track, but after wrecking it, I have been a little gun shy the last couple times out to the track, I took it, but rode the GSXR all day instead. (plus I have been having clutch issues which I think I have fixed) But my Xerox will see the track again, maybe next spring

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did Session 1 and 2 this past summer at the Streets of Willow Springs. Had a blast on the Kaw 636. It was perfect for the small track. I say use their bikes. No worry about wrecking, No wasting your rubber and no pressure not to have a 636 pass your Itialian liter class bike. Riding techniques should be transferable anyway, so what you learn there should only take minor adjustments when you ride your bike.

I believe a put down a deposit with a credit card which would cover the cost of damage to the bike. There is a limit though but I forgot how much.

Have Fun.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I did labor day weekend at VIR

Class was awesome, plenty of track time and I learned loads. I was very suprised that Keith Code taught all (except 1 where his son Dylan) of the classes.

I am planning on doing Level 2 at Barber and Level 3 at Miller in the spring.

As far as renting their bikes etc, I decided to keep my 998S FE out of the game as I was worried about dropping it etc. In retrospect, I think you will be fine with your 999R, especially for level 1. Nothing got too overcooked for most of us and there was a local guy on a 998 Matrix (I knew the on track session was over when I passed him twice). There was a guy with a brand new Tamburini MV Agusta and lots of monsters.

The only guys that wrecked were squids, one on an R6 and another potato head on a Triumph 675, in both cases they were getting flagged in advance (come in and pit, we need to talk) and were doing fast/close passes which are stricly forbidden by the 6' rule (you can pass, but you must stay 6' from the person you are passing). The wrecks were drive offs into the grass and nobody got hurt - although both bikes were totalled. The funny thing is I called it in the parking lot in the AM, both were talking trash and pointing to all these mods on their bikes, had brand new leathers helmets and such... these dudes egos arrived 30 minutes before them. The funny thing is that they actually sucked on the track - all speed and brakes, no turns or smoothness... amusing

As far as advanced classes, and economics go, the $200 for the ZX636 cant be beat, if you factor tires, gas etc, plus the risk it's a cheap way to make sure you dont trash your bike.

Cali Superbike School is without a doubt a must for everyone, you wont regret it (unless you are a squid).

·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You folks are the best. I'm signing up today. I think I'll bring my 999r and rent a 636. Not worried about the 200. I run Pilot Race soft compount which could easily get used up in a day. They're more than 200. I'll bet ypu i'll have my 999r out there on the track the same day!

Thanks a ton again..I love this board!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Brian - Will likely see you there unless the wifey objects. She's due with our 3rd on Nov 14, so not totally sure I can get the hall pass. My buddy (R1) and I are going to sign up.

I grew up in Santa Rosa (class of '91), transplanted to the East SF Bay, btw. Bet its changed a lot.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think you should rent and take your bike. The last thing in the world you need to worry about about when your trying to learn track driving is wadding up your scoot. That is actually something that KC teaches. Also, as you mentioned, just based on the price of tires you'll be money ahead. It sould be nice to have your bike on hand though in case you feel comforatble about it and want to give it a try.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I took my 16 year old son "dreaming of becoming a roadracer" to Seattle's Pacific Raceways for a Level One school and was 100% satisfied with the experience. While my boy had plenty of dirt experience going fast, he had NEVER been on a streetbike, let alone a ZX6R. By the afternoon sessions, he was passing other riders, tappin' the limiter in 5th on the front straight, having a total blast. He said that all the staff made him feel like they actually "cared." It was a great way to get him started without learning a lot of bad habits IMO.

Will definitely be giving Keith some more of our business.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I did level 1 & 2 at the Blackhawk Farms track in August. I rented the 636 and had a great time on it. As the ST3s just went up for the winter, I may try to get to CA in the spring for some time again. Most fun I've had in a long time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts