Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a flyer in the mail today for the California Superbike school. There doing a traveling program thats comming to local tracks. The flyer says its for 2-day 'level 1' camps focusing on cornering techniques. I've heard good things about this school group and am wondering if anyone has had specific experience with this level one cornering program? Also want to know if anyone could give their opinion if I would get anything out of it.

I've done a few track days, I usualy shove myself in the beginers group and tend to be one of the fastest in that group. I lean off the bike a fair bit and get a fair number of compliments from the safty riders even when I did my first day (their also trying to be positive so hard to say). Only ever gotten my knee down once, and I tend to have a fair amount of difficulty in difficult corners (I.E. caracells, corners going down hill, or corners that tighten up). Long swoopy ones I feel good in. So I do think I could benifit from some leasons, but I dont want to get stuck in something really low level that wont help me in those situations. Any fead back would be great!

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Man, I would like to go to this school also. I live in Sonoma Country Ca by Infineon Raceway. Would be nice to go there for a day...

Would like to try the 636's also. Don't want to wad up the 999r

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunatly I just found out where they hide the prices in this thing. 2700 for 2 days ouch! Expecily since I just bought my first house.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
That's for the 2 Day camp. They also have a bunch of regular school where you can sign up for the day. Depending on the track, it will be $400-$500 per day with your own bike.

I'm signed up for Pocono in May.

Tony

·
Registered
407 Posts
I took Codes regular classes 1 through 4 (even did #4 twice).

MY OPINION: classes 1&2 are worth taking (preferably on the same weekend) as they will give the newbie track rider the basic skills to get around the track. After that, take a class from another school to get another viewpoint.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What I want to know is how necessary are these classes if you are an experienced rider (25+ years) and have no problem running high speed through corners? My basic point is, I am not afraid of my bike at speed. Will I be bored stiff in the intro classes? Do most schools make them mandatory?

·
Registered
407 Posts
fraz said:
What I want to know is how necessary are these classes if you are an experienced rider (25+ years) and have no problem running high speed through corners? My basic point is, I am not afraid of my bike at speed. Will I be bored stiff in the intro classes? Do most schools make them mandatory?
I know that Keith Code requires starting with Class #1 as they teach an overall philosophy where each successive class builds off of what the prior class taught.

Best thing to do is log onto the schools' websites and read about their respective requirements.

For me, after taking Freddy Spencer's 3 Day Pro Race School, I realized that the 30 years of riding experience I had was fairly worthless - other people's experience may vary....

·
Registered
862 Posts
My strong advice is to take level 1 and 2 consequtively, you'll get much more out of it. you don't need the "2-day" school, just do levels 1-2 back to back.

Level 2 is all visual, probably the most valuable of all the levels.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
fraz said:
I took Code's level one class and felt it was restrictive to my riding style. You do learn some basics and thats all they want you to learn. When I combined what I was taught with prior skill and went to a critique after the drill and explained what I was doing, For example the turn entry drill, I would set up for turn entry, hit the apex and then plan my exit and picking a line for my next turn entry. Well my instructor asked what I was doing and explained what I just told you. She told me I missed the whole point of the drill, it was a drill for turn entry and only turn entry!

Dont get me wrong I learned some good basics and Keith Code's school is better than having no school. I will be trying some other track instruction this summer.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
brianmdavis said:
What are the chances of wadding up my 999r in a school?
What are the chances of you wading your bike up on the street or canyon? I would say 75% street 25% track. An accident is just that, no one plans on crashing, it just happens. Most track schools rent bikes. If the deductable on your 99R is more than renting a bike I would rent one! Then if you crash that you have to pay for that out of your pocket, unless your insurance covers you on a rented bike on the race track!

Cheap insurance....frame sliders and track plastic!

·
Registered
121 Posts
CKvBP

I took the level 1 and 2 at Sears Point last month(Feb.) and found it invaluable. I only had 5 month of experince when I took the classes but there were experinced riders just like you with me learning at least 1 thing new. Each session they want you to work on one thing and build from there. They focus mainly on technique and saftey. I liked it better then the CLASS school I took at Laguna Seca this month. I can't wait for both to come back to Sears Point so I can improve my skills.

·
2,008 Posts
RoAdK1LL said:
CKvBP

I took the level 1 and 2 at Sears Point last month(Feb.) and found it invaluable. I only had 5 month of experince when I took the classes but there were experinced riders just like you with me learning at least 1 thing new. Each session they want you to work on one thing and build from there. They focus mainly on technique and saftey. I liked it better then the CLASS school I took at Laguna Seca this month. I can't wait for both to come back to Sears Point so I can improve my skills.
Where are you from? I live in Santa Rosa. Would be nice to hook up with someone here and there for a ride......

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
brianmdavis said:
Man, I would like to go to this school also. I live in Sonoma Country Ca by Infineon Raceway. Would be nice to go there for a day...

Would like to try the 636's also. Don't want to wad up the 999r

Brian,
Join us at either Reno or Thill for the private track days. Ride at your own pace, come and go as you wish. I just updated the website.

·
Registered
121 Posts
brianmdavis said:
Where are you from? I live in Santa Rosa. Would be nice to hook up with someone here and there for a ride......
I live in Fairfield CA. Some friends and I usually go to lake berryeasa on sunday afternoons. But with the weather I haven't been doing much riding.

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
Personally, not a fan of Code.

I like STAR school. In Northern CA; Keigwin's also does a very nice job, and Zoom-Zoom also seems to have their stuff together.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
That's for the 2 Day camp. They also have a bunch of regular school where you can sign up for the day. Depending on the track, it will be $400-$500 per day with your own bike.

I'm signed up for Pocono in May.

Tony
Hey Tony, can you IM me more information? I'm about 2 hours from the Pocs and would live to learn more about proper cornering.

·
2,008 Posts
RoAdK1LL said:
I live in Fairfield CA. Some friends and I usually go to lake berryeasa on sunday afternoons. But with the weather I haven't been doing much riding.
I'd like to join you guys sometime. Maybe I can get you out my way. Have a few unknown backroads with no cars and good pavement...
I'm up by Healdsburg and the Geysers!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts