Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like my wife and I are going to be moving to California to be near our granddaughters. :D (Somewhere around Palo Alto. I'm suffering from home price sticker shock. :eek:) I'm trying to decide whether or not to take my Paul Smart with me. My main concern is that the tank might start to deform. So if you live in California and have not had a tank go bad can you tell me approximately where you live/ride and what brand of fuel you use? I hate to get rid of the PS but it might be easier to trade my BMW and my Ducati on a BMW K1300GT. (I'm too old to be riding a BMW K1300S. :( )

·
Registered
599 Posts
With my 08 1000S, in southern cal. I have seen no problems yet. It has only had chevron and mobil in it. good luck on the move. There are a few nice Paul Smarts around, and one brand new left over close to Palo Alto if you don't want to haul yours out.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
and a beautiful used one here in so cal at Pro Italia

http://proitalia.com/pre-owned.html

my SC is a 2009 and so far so good (knock wood) but others that i know in the area have had trouble with theirs.

chevron/mobil/shell for the most part

bmw....perfect for the bay area.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I live in San Jose and have had no problems with my Paul Smart tank spreading. I mostly fill up with Chevron or Shell premium. Bring the PS to Cali.. You'll regret it if you don't. Your gonna love the twisties around here along the coast and up in the Sierras.

·
Registered
503 Posts
How is the brand of gas related to the tank spread problem?....I thought it is just an out side covering. May be the heat/humidity can cause some deformation. Anyway...it gets pretty hot down here in east bay (much more than Palo Alto). Good luck with your move.

·
Registered
343 Posts
How is the brand of gas related to the tank spread problem?....I thought it is just an out side covering. May be the heat/humidity can cause some deformation. Anyway...it gets pretty hot down here in east bay (much more than Palo Alto). Good luck with your move.
It's felt that the spreading is related to the ethanol in the gas, and maybe some of the brands mentioned use less than other brands. I really don't know that. What usually goes in my tank is either Mobil, Chevron or 76, and I'm now on my second tank.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The general consensus is that methanol added to gasoline is what causes the tank to deform. This has been a known problem in the boating industry for some time now but it is just now affecting motorcycle tanks. The theory is that some states, some regions and maybe even some brands of gasoline add more methanol than others and the more methanol the bigger chance that a tank will deform. So . . . if bikes around the Bay area aren't being affected then there is a good chance that my bike won't be affected either. :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
My SC tank has not deformed any more since I bought it used for Xmas. I monitor it and it really has not changed at all. I live in the santa monica mountains where it's nice and cool most of the time. I don't know if heat makes it worse, but I assume it would...

I don't what else to tell you. :)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
In Marin County on the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge. Arco 87 octane and no distortion on an '06.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

Yes, prices here are ridiculous. The bad news is that I have had a tank go bad. The good news is that the Ducati Peninsula dealer processed the warranty claim without a hitch and replaced the tank no questions asked. The renewed warranty is 5 years and Murray, the shop manager said I just need to bring it back if there is a problem.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
One bad tank. Only 91 gas, can't say I use only one type of station. Choosing not to worry about it although at this point it is clearly falling toward the right.

Once you get past the sticker shock I think you'll see that you have actually chosen a good time to move. You can get a lot more for your $$ today than you could just a short time ago.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks like I may have to sell my MH900e. It's currently in LA.....you could always buy that.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
It looks like my wife and I are going to be moving to California to be near our granddaughters. :D (Somewhere around Palo Alto. I'm suffering from home price sticker shock. :eek:) I'm trying to decide whether or not to take my Paul Smart with me. My main concern is that the tank might start to deform. So if you live in California and have not had a tank go bad can you tell me approximately where you live/ride and what brand of fuel you use? I hate to get rid of the PS but it might be easier to trade my BMW and my Ducati on a BMW K1300GT. (I'm too old to be riding a BMW K1300S. :( )
SF, No tank problem, Shell/76/Chevron.

Personally, I would not get rid of the PS based on the tank issue, seems a bit extreme.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SF, No tank problem, Shell/76/Chevron.

Personally, I would not get rid of the PS based on the tank issue, seems a bit extreme.
I think you are right!

Am I going to have to reinstall the canister? It "fell off" before the PS left the dealership. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I think you are right!

Am I going to have to reinstall the canister? It "fell off" before the PS left the dealership. :rolleyes:
I still cant find my canister...has to be around here somewhere....

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still cant find my canister...has to be around here somewhere....
Thanks! That's the answer that I was looking for. :D

We were looking at houses in Portola Valley last weekend. Not too far from Alice's Restaurant. That looks like a nice place to ride.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Thanks! That's the answer that I was looking for. :D

We were looking at houses in Portola Valley last weekend. Not too far from Alice's Restaurant. That looks like a nice place to ride.
You will find there are some truly wonderful places to ride here, and the ability to ride all year round. Does soothe a tiny bit the COLA you will make out here.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
my tank was replaced once and the new one is a little loose but not as much as the first one. I use 91 octane 100% of the time, but like LA-DUC, I'm not married to any particular brand... I wouldn't worry too much. + ducati is covering the tank under a 5 year warranty, same as the valve guides.

as for no canister / no baffles, or other not so legal mods, it's like anywhere else: the more rural, the more chances of receiving comments. In urban areas they have other fish to fry, and there's always a TON of HDs with louder pipes to make make us sound quiet...

try to move as close as possible to the CA-2, aka Angeles Crest hwy... you won't regret it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts