Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

California Motorcycle Smog Test - Update

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  johnchypermotard 
#1 ·
The proposed legislation that would require smog testing of motorcycles has been amended, "to authorize police officers to fine bikers who have removed catalytic converters, instead of requiring the emissions testing. The senate approved the amended bill which now goes to the state assembly. If it passes there, the Governator’s signature is all that’s needed."

If it passes, it will be interesting to see how it is enforced.

#4 ·
lelen ... if the bill passes, i would rather see the smog test rather than allowing cops to enforce it. at least with a smog test, you can put the stock stuff back in place, then go take the test. with a random inspection from cops, you are always at risk.

bad senate bill ... just a method for the state to suck more money out of us.

and btw, those who installed the termi full system are fooked if cops can do random citations/fines.

#7 ·
That's a false dichotomy. LEO's in CA have broad abilities to stop people for modifications to their exhaust already. There is nothing to say that if the bill passed as written, that you wouldn't get pulled over if you swapped your aftermarket parts back after testing.
regardless of your inane comment, the bill as it stands is nothing more than a method for the state to extort money ... and the po po are simply tax collectors.

if the bill was amended to NOT be retroactive (going back to model year 2000 bikes, as it stands) ... i would view it as less of a taxation grab than i currently do.

btw, i have nothing against the po po ... they are/will be doing their job ... but fook the law makers.

#3 · (Edited)
#9 ·
If the author and sponsors of the bill puts pressure the CHP, the CHP may enforce this by citing you with the cat violation if you have any kind of modified exhaust when they pull you over for a moving violation or one of their "special safety" details. Kind of a "shoot 'em all and let god sort it out" kind of deal. Expecting the police to know which bikes originally came with a cat converter is kind of unreasonable.

Alternatively, it could be that the police just ignore this and choose to enforce it only when a rider fails the attitude test at a traffic stop. A lot depends on the pressure the bill author and sponsors of the bill choose to exert. For example the author could conduct a senate hearing on implementation of the bill. The CHP would have to present information on its enforcement of this new law and provide some statistics. I don't know if that this requirement is part of the bill, I hope not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.