Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

California Emissions - 749/999

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ducati2242 
#1 ·
For a while I was wondering what this "mystery black box" was with the long black tube running out of it- I believe it's the Emissions Control System for my California 749s.

Few questions:
1. Does this system negatively impact performance/ hp?
2. If so, is it legal to remove it?
3. I suppose it's safe to just left that long tube hang out from underneath the fairing?

Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 ·
First off, there is no such thing as a CA Ducati. ALL Ducati's are the same as delivered to all 50 states. And for your questions...

1. No. Not enough to matter anyways. Most remove it for the weight savings.
2. No, not in CA.
3. Yes. Or tuck it up inside for aestetics (hope I spelled that right) i.e. looks

#3 ·
On #3, The tube is normally tucked up around the base of the rear cylinder on the rear side. Leaving it laying doesn't hurt a thing just looks kind of untidy.

#4 ·
In Europe we do not have the mystery black box but i looked it up in my manual anyway and all it is is a filter from your fuel tank that stops fuel evaporating. Instead of just going out of the tank vent into the atmosphere (like european models ) yours takes the fumes and burns them in the exhaust.The only performance extra you would get would be would be a few kilos in weight saved.

#5 ·
Pretty close. It's a carbon (activated charcoal) canister, just like on all USAspec cars made since the late 70's? It's designed to "soak up" the evaporated vapors from the fuel tank, and it stores those vapors. When you run your engine, the vacuum lines and check valves are designed so that the vapors are ingested into the intake, so the engine actually consumes the vapors. And by doing so, it depletes the vapors in the canister, and "regenerates" the canister for the next time the bike is sitting, so the process can repeat itself. Picture the canister like a sponge that's tuned to soak up petrol vapors...

#8 ·
If you are going to remove and cut it, make sure you don't get a line coming from the throttle bodies. There's a good picture of hose routing if you download the parts catalog from the Ducati.com web site. Anyways, the two lines from the T/B's run to a tee (if I remember right) and then from the tee, one line runs to the cannister. You want to cut that single line and plug it very good. Put some rvt on a screw and place in the end of the hose or something like that.

#9 ·
What's up with Europeans letting their gas fumes into the environment while we in the US have a canister? Then they have the nerve to complain about us not agreeing to global warming. Screw em till they get canisters too. :)

#11 ·
With all that hot air coming out of grendels its no wonder we Europeans complain. The amount of global warming coming out of him would counteract a considerable amount of gas ventilation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.