Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
No, not street bikes at least...but I wouldn't worry too much, in Sacramento they are too busy legislating about things like 'stealthing' (google it, bbc article too). Took three years in the house, so it must be meaningful...

·
Registered
99' 996
366 Posts
No, not street bikes at least...but I wouldn't worry too much, in Sacramento they are too busy legislating about things like 'stealthing' (google it, bbc article too). Took three years in the house, so it must be meaningful...
Better check again. Its coming. They are going to force people to buy electric vehicles then beg them not to charge to them because the power grid cant handle the load.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
And, for anyone who thinks the "Greenies" are a blessing, keep this in mind:

High winds were recently forecasted, and we were warned that we may lose power, as Utility Companies will shut down power grids to elinimate the risk of wildfires. Imagine that - The high winds needed to power the State's wind turbines, yet, power had to be shut down to reduce the risk of fires.

You can't make that stuff up, and, you cannot have it both ways!

·
Registered
99' 996
366 Posts
What are firefighters going to use?
Run 3000 feet of extension cords?

Maybe someone can invent a solar chainsaw...
There wont be a need, once they do away with all those dirty IC engines the climate balance will be restored and there will be no more fires!

Of course there will be an exemption for those with the clout. Rules for thee, not for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just heard this on the way in, along with getting rid of diesel power in our ports. You've probably already thought of all this but I'm practicing my Captain Obvious bit for Halloween.

Those high winds; hot air coming out of Sac. Yes it will happen, 'theyzuh comin', I think the goals that have been set are very ambitious regardless of how green your perspective is tinged; they are meant to be lofty - always demand much more than you can hope to get and than negotiate back to what you expect. The negotiating part, that's going be hard, period. And will hit the regular folks first and hardest; think not being able to find a place to buy fuel, and a long ass line when you get there. Good thing we enjoy moto's, because you'll be limited to 5 gallons. Like the 70's all over again but without the exploding Pinto's.

In this case the state (we, sorry) will miss the mark but we'll be in a very different place than we are now, with a plan on it being more environmentally sustainable (ah, another one of them words that make BS relevant). There will be massive blowback and fallout. First, I see is all the trades and service industry folks will really take a hit in the business, not to mention a higher cost of existing. Who knows maybe they will leave for a place that is less green, along with the shipping companies; like TX?

So, whoever is left behind in this coastal green utopia can have their Tesla (sorry Elon, I don't care how fast it is, it'll always be a golf cart to me) drive them downtown to their black-market dry cleaner, and then cruise the main drag looking for a cleaning lady to do the laundry, maybe for an extra $500 she'll do the windows too? Of course cruising is a waste of electrons and there will be an app to find exactly the kind of cleaner you want...

·
Registered
99' 996
366 Posts
And in the meantime I see stories every other day about companies abandoning CA for Texas or Tennessee. Had one move in right around the corner from me. So you know I suppose maybe it is a win-win. By the time everyone bails from the nonsense there wont be such a tax on the power grid? No more dirty engines. I hear at this point nearly 1/3 of office space in San Francisco is empty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good, they'll need a place to house all those displaced service workers and mechanics, cuz the the homeless junkies have already filled the luxury hotels...but I'll try and keep to the positive. Try.

Unlike most of my fellow Cali's, I was born here, and it wasn't always this way. Reagan was governor, and he was a Democrat at one point to boot! Recall that bit of history? Didn't think so.
I've lived all over the state both urban and rural, and my expert opinion is:

1. Get out of the urban areas, the blighted and neglected burned out cores, and it completely defies the stereotype, folks are nice and relaxed enough to have a conversation at the gas pump. And it's beautiful too, especially the upper 1/2, above the Bay Area and Sacramento. Pretty sparsely populated as well. I doubt the Chainsaw Police will be getting out there on patrol very often.

2. It's really easy to bitch about CA, such an easy target! So completely ungovernable internally, and has WAY TOO MUCH political influence over the rest of the country. Fact is CA is the rest of the nations Frankenstein: Free thinkers, free loaders, creatives and every 'special interest' you care to imagine/ridicule or that has been marginalized or discriminated against have bought into the Golden Myth and fled here for about two centuries now. Soooo many individuals in search of their own pot of gold, yes Mary at the end of the rainbow. All in one place, what would you expect?

3. I've watched the population more than double and rush hour in LA go from being 90 minute affair near downtown and the airport, to a round-the-clock full contact sport that is basin-wide. Believe it or not, that is what nudged me onto a street bike. All this leaves me in a interesting place. The traffic. And everyone being from someplace else brings all manner of driving habits.

I could go on and on, as I'm sure y'all can too. Even though I see this coming Green Nazism as a epic PITA for all impacted, it may well drive masses to other states; low CA population means an easing on a strained infrastructure, regardless of what keeps the lights on, and a reddening of the state due to defectors and loss of electoral votes takes us down a few pegs on the national scene - that's WAY overdue I think you'd agree.

My wife and I have have thought really hard about leaving, very few things keeping us here; as long as mom is above ground we'll stay close. And a job, I could find a job anywhere, but not with the scratch I can earn in CA, period. We're blessed to have bought a home when it could be afforded, so weather we sell or rent the place out, thank you Lord! Our short list are NW Arkansas, Eastern Kentuky and Colorado.

But the biggest consideration I have in leaving is and you can say I'm full of it if you want; I don't want to do to someone else's home, what I have had done to mine for decades, and I doubt they would want me to either. Call me a soft nativist, wherever I land I promise not to try and change the place, and I'll stay out of the way while contributing to the tax base, and I'll keep my lawn mowed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Part of me wishes California would just burn to the ground once and for all. If not a massive fire, maybe that earthquake we have all been expecting to send California into the Pacific Ocean will finally occur. And just where is Max Zorin when you need him?

NC

·
Registered
11 Posts
I knew it! I just new it, the Nazi connection is Real!!!
California, Uber Alles!!! And as I mentioned, I have my papers, do you???

·
Registered
159 Posts
Better check again. Its coming. They are going to force people to buy electric vehicles then beg them not to charge to them because the power grid cant handle the load.

A neglected Private asset for the 50+ years. Maintenance costs money. To the detriment of shareholders.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Appalachian!
Not seeing anything in there about on-road, and at $2200 a pop plus the carrying weight I don't see 3-way catalyst or evap cannister equipped leaf blowers on the horizon. And curiously, a huge source of particulate air pollution in the central valley (and tax revenue, jobs, and beautiful sunsets) is excluded: Agriculture.
That will be a funny beat down witness - the Green Nazis showing up in there Birkenstocks unannounced to do tail pipe emissions and Eqt inspections during the rice or almond harvest.
And how about construction Eqt? They get a pass because they're building new green amd 'affordable' housing....more of the Golden Myth inaction.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I've been using plug in electric lawn mower, leaf blower, hedge clipper, small chain saw, etc for years. Mainly so I don't have to putz around with gas, oil, air filters, spark plugs. They do the job just fine and run on forever seemingly. The mower is 15 or 20 years old. Maybe I should sharpen the blade again. If it finally dies I'll get another electric mower. Works for me, pulling around a 100' cord is no big deal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wife asked for a electric blower so she could sweep the patio, not that she couldn't but was not inclined to deal with a choke and pull start (the rest being left to me). And I agree, the cord compared fuel and maintenance items is a wash.
But if i'm up the hill clearing acres of poison oak or cutting dead-fall (I'd NEVER admit to cutting down a living tree), there is yet to be an electric alternative. Btw, just for awe and entertainment do a search for a 'Rage Wheel' or a 'Drum Mulcher' in action; enough to a Green Nazi get sick. But properly applied a very effective tool and if CARBs numbers are to be believed it's a great deal greener than minions with chainsaws.
Am I the only guy other than #43 that finds chain-sawing therapeutic? Almost as much as riding, try it before it's outlawed.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts