Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
... and on an 800, you'll likely creep up that hill, unless you're a master of corner speed, because T7 is a sharp right hander at the end of the straight. Most people overbrake the turn, are in too high a gear and putt-putt up the hill...
I think this is a very interesting perspective.

Generally people always say its easier to learn on a smaller bike, but you can definitely power your way thru stuff on a bigger bike. There have been a few times I've been on my 1299 in wrong gear and it didn't matter. When I ride my 690 KTM, it very much matters. I think the biggest risk of learning on a big machine is that it doesn't force you to learn shifting and speed management as well but it certainly has its advantages, especially on hilly courses which we have here in the northeast (Palmer, Tamworth).

·
Administrator
11,892 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Did they explain why the won't let you do 2 day sessions with your own bike? Seems odd that you HAVE to ride theirs. I don't care about the money it seems like for skills training I'd be better off on my own bike.
Frankly I think it all comes down to their profit. We have a few great tracks in the greater SF bay area, and a few of more recreational tracks. Two years ago, you could get single days on great tracks like Laguna Seka and Sears point. Luckily, I got some single days at Sears point, in my opinion a great track for both CASS and track days but as track riding becomes more popular those opportunities have dwindled. The last year or two CASS has only offered 2-day schools that cost a lot more, $2,800 for 2 days (with bike, gear, lunch…) Vs. $500 for one day at the great tracks.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Multi on a trackday (2016 PP) does just fine. I was in B+, having a fantastic time. Yes, a bit tall and heavier, but having more leverage, and an awesome engine, I find it to be lots of fun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Dave, my wife has done a level 1&2 2 day session in Las Vegas and level 3&4 2 day session at Laguna. She did all of them on the S1000RR without any drama and in fact said the 2 days at Laguna were the most fun she had ever had in her life. If you want to ask her questions send a PM to Focker or ping me for her email address or phone number.
I'm going with 3 coworkers and I tried to convince them to sign up for Laguna... out of all the virtual tracks I've gran tourismo'd and forza'd over the years that's one of the top 3 I'd like to ride myself (and the only one in North America). I figured hell I'm already spending 3k between the class and a hotel... what's another $800 for a flight... but they didn't bite. On the east coast VIR seems a decent option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I breezed through the replies but here goes my experience.

I'm CSS Level 4 having done both VIR and NJMS.
I own both an MS and S1kRR.

I've used their S1kRR every time.

VIR is challenging, especially from the elevation change perspective.

If you have signed up for the true 2-day class, you need to be on their S1kRR. Stop thinking about it.
Every session is roughly 20 minutes. Do not worry about the riding position. No matter what bike you are on, you will be tired by the end of the day.
Day 1 Sessions 1 and 2 will try to get you familiar with the track and their view on riding.

The S1kRR has so much power that a wrong gear selection will won't be a problem.
Honestly Day 1 Ses 1 is S1kRR 4th gear -- no brake around the entire track.
It's all about throttle control.

I have so many detailed notes from my sessions it would blow people away.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Watched the youtube level vids... looks like some challenging but fun exercises, looking forward to the no-brake exercise. I sometimes do that when I'm riding in PA... keeps my speed in the straight sections down (PA has crazy low speed limits even in the middle of nowhere on secondaries) but still is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I took the California Superbike School at Barber Motorsports in 2014 and enjoyed it. I don't think you'll have a problem with the 1000RR, they put all the bikes used in Level 1 & 2 in Rain Mode so they are already "tuned down". I've ridden my 2016 Multi at 4 different Track Days and had a great time. You can sign up for the single day with CSS and use your own bike. I am considering doing that at Barber. It's an awesome facility.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts