Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
As the OP, this thread has unfortunately become derailed from my initial inquiry. A "thank you" to those of you who kindly answered my question.

Good bye.
Woa ... take it easy pal. The "off topic" banter is just *looney888 taking another unwarranted shot at me which happens nearly any time I post an opinion. Small peanuts really. Don't let it bother you, I certainly don't.

I think there is a very good spread of coil information in this thread. There are comparisons offered between California Cycle Works and the Dynatek units, as well as a number of reasons offered for using the ~red~ coils.

What else is it that you need to know? Most folks here are very willing to help.

:smile2:

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I've had the coils on my M900 for several years now. The engine did start slightly more quickly with them (only change made).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you, Rex. I will continue to monitor the thread. Please understand that my time is too valuable to listen to a "pissing contest". But I certainly won't let a few errant comments taint the entire forum. You guys have been helpful. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Thank you, Rex. I will continue to monitor the thread. Please understand that my time is too valuable to listen to a "pissing contest". But I certainly won't let a few errant comments taint the entire forum. You guys have been helpful. Many thanks.
Glad you're back! :smile2:

·
Registered
788 Posts
I installed CA Cycleworks Exact Fit coils on my '92 900SS. I found that the natural way they fit on the bike had the plug wires coming out the top which is opposite of the OEM coils. In order to mount them the other way I found I had to twist the low voltage harness around, which I did not want to do. Works fine the way I installed them.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I just installed a used set I got off eBay yesterday :laugh:
Which coils are those? I don't recognize them.

I installed CA Cycleworks Exact Fit coils on my '92 900SS. I found that the natural way they fit on the bike had the plug wires coming out the top which is opposite of the OEM coils. In order to mount them the other way I found I had to twist the low voltage harness around, which I did not want to do. Works fine the way I installed them.
I think the kit from California Cycleworks includes new (longer) plug wires and plug caps. Ups the cost a bit, but it comes down to one of those "while you're in there" things ... may as well do it all.

I used to have a sign hanging up in my shop ... "why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?"

:wink2:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I used to have a sign hanging up in my shop ... "why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?"

Must be common knowlegde.

My father learned me (when I was young, long ago) a simular lesson: "If you don't have the time to do it right, where do you think you gonna find the time to do it over?"
Till this day, I always keep that in mind with whatever I do and I never regretted that.

Fathers and workshop-signs... can't go wrong with their advice...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have been reading a lot on ignition coils but still don't get it completly.

ExactFit CA Cycleworks in Europe (from ExactStart UK on ebay): €190/pair (with leads and spark plugs)
Ignitech IC TCI S coils (from Ignitech): €70/pair (with leads, primary resistance 3,3Ohm, inductance 9,44mH, 80mm hole spacing)
Stock Ducati Coils (from Startwin.com): €230/pair
Nology PFC Coils (from Nology Germany): €180/pair (primary from 0,6Ohm up to 3Ohm)

Price range from €70 to €230...

What is the difference between these coils? Or what are the main numbers (primary resistance? inducatance? secondary resistance?...) I should look at when buying coils? I'm riding a '97 carby 900SS,

I am thinking about mounting an Ignitech ignition this winter and get all kinds of advice.
One says go low on primary resistance like the Nology 0,6 Ohm, FBG sells custom made 1,0 Ohm Nology Coils for the Ignitech, an other one says to stay with the stock coils or use CACycleworks coils,...
Some say the coils you use make a huge difference (easy starting, better idling,...), some say the difference is hardly noticable,...

I'n getting lost in too much information I think...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Primary resistance will determine how much current the igniter has to source to drive the coil. Too much current will over stress the igniter and eventually lead to premature failure. If you are going to use the old Kokusan igniters I would suggest you stick with stock coils or those such as CA Cycleworks that have a primary resistance similar to OEM. I don't know what works with Ignitech but Liam from Fastbikegear would be the authority on that application.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts