Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the event that I have to replace the ignition coils on my 1993 Ducati 900 Superlight, I am looking at a replacement kit sold by Ca-Cycleworks. Being unfamiliar with the company, I would appreciate any feedback on the company & their products.

Thank you.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I would have no concerns dealing with them I have for over 5 Years and never
had an issue. They have always shipped quickly and everything I have bought
has worked w/o any issues.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That is good to hear. If anyone has bought their ignition coils, I am curious how their specs compare to the OEM units.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thank you. That is good to hear. If anyone has bought their ignition coils, I am curious how their specs compare to the OEM units.

Their primary resistance values are identical to The original coils. The spark output is significantly greater than what came from the factory. CA cycle claimed secondary output is upwards of 35KV. I have them installed on my 95’ 900CR and they work great! You’ll notice better throttle response and quicker starting. In addition, the spark plug looks much cleaner (very lean) after a long ride if you use the stock heat range spark plug. The new coil kit comes with a colder heat range spark plugs. So, upon inspection you’ll notice the color of the porcelain about normal. I use the Ducati recommended heat range with no issues. A highly recommended upgrade!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
CA-'works familiar and known within the Ducati community, a reliable, honest parts supplier. Can't comment on their coils, though (older Dyna coils reside on my '95 900SP)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well known for their ExactFit belts.

I've ordered from them in the past with no issues. They were quick to respond to emails and provided good purchasing info. They've been a long-time sponsor over at the DMF, among other boards.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, everyone, for the responses. Let me give you a bit of background. I have an intermittent problem of the vertical cylinder losing spark & going dead. The problem has occurred between 13 - 60 miles into a ride; requiring me to limp home on one cylinder. After checking all related wiring, I narrowed the culprit to either the rear HT coil or the pick-up modules. Today I ran the resistance tests on the HT coils (as outlined in the Haynes manual) & everything is within spec. So, at this point it looks like nothing obviously wrong with the rear HT coil. Next, I will check the pick-up modules.

In the meantime, I will order a set of new plug wires & caps from Chris at Ca-Cycleworks since the OEM parts are 26 years old.

Again, thank you!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Suggest to check the tiny crimped terminals inside the male wiring connectors that attach to the Kokusan boxes. Very common, known to loosen, pull out, etc etc. causing intermittent spark issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Suggest to check the tiny crimped terminals inside the male wiring connectors that attach to the Kokusan boxes. Very common, known to loosen, pull out, etc etc. causing intermittent spark issues.
By the "Kokusan boxes" I assume you are referring to the exciter units located next to the coils? I am sure that I checked these terminals, but....will do so again. Thank you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The cycle works coil kit is good. I put them on my 95 900ss/cr and the kit is basically plug and play. For your issue make sure you look at the plug wires, caps, and plugs as well. I had an intermittent issue some time ago caused by the plug insulator being cracked.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cycle works coil kit is good. I put them on my 95 900ss/cr and the kit is basically plug and play. For your issue make sure you look at the plug wires, caps, and plugs as well. I had an intermittent issue some time ago caused by the plug insulator being cracked.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, I discovered a cracked plug cap a while back. However, replacing the caps did not resolve this issue. New wires are ordered, if for no other reason, it's an inexpensive replacement for 26 year old OEM wires.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
One of the problems with diagnosing intermittent spark is trying to replicate the condition.

I've been known to go on a ride on a "problem" bike with a couple of tools and a multimeter in a backpack. Proper preparation is key. You have to be able to jump off a bike as soon as a cylinder goes dead, and whip out the multimeter quickly in order to troubleshoot a coil or a possible bad pickup module. Sometimes it takes an hour or so to get hot enough to quit...

Hopefully a set of coils will cure your ills. Replacing the pickups is a PITA.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I've been thinking about new coils ('96 900CR) for no other reason than the fact that the bike is 24 years old. The California Cycleworks ones, or the Dynatek ones. Not sure just yet.

Dyna doesn't have my bike in their catalog, so I wrote them. As expected they need the stock coils' resistance levels first before they can suggest a part number. But holy crap, they've written me like six times "Have you taken that reading yet?". No goddammit! I haven't!

:laugh:

Well, it's tough to be critical of a company that takes follow-up seriously. Many other companies can't be bothered to lift a finger to even reply, let alone follow up!

I suppose I should at least take the reading and send it to them .... they deserve a shot at my business.

:wink2:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
By that rationale you should just buy a new bike
So the whole bike is as sensitive to aging as the electrics are? Huh ... how inspiringly intelligent and rational you are! I'm deeply impressed!

Have you actually ridden it yet?
Nunya.

Besides, it doesn't matter. It is what I may want to do, no matter what your opinion on the matter is. But due to your superior mind I'll be sure to ask your permission regarding everything I may wish to do from here on out, Your Majesty!

Do you know how?
I think I know my way around a VOM/DVM well enough. But thanks for the offer anyhow! I'll be sure to hit you up if I need help. Do I need to make an appointment first? I'm certain His Highness is a very busy person!

... not ...

I find you to be more and more entertaining with each passing day. Y'know, kindof like how an ass clown is, or a thirteen year old thin skinned spoiled brat perhaps. :laugh:

Do carry on! Please! I'm always up for a good laugh! :laugh:

Not only that, I deeply enjoy living in your head rent free. Even though you've claimed to having put me on your ignore list, you just cannot resist reading and responding to my posts. Poor fella, you just cannot stay away. I've never owned a person's waking conscience before you ... it's amusing.

:wink2:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As the OP, this thread has unfortunately become derailed from my initial inquiry. A "thank you" to those of you who kindly answered my question.

Good bye.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts