Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting to get rid of the cat ever since I got my '10 but after getting rid of the cat the right way on my Monster - a Nemesis programable ECU - I wanted to wait until I could do the same on the Multi - which meant remapping the 'black box' ECU. When Brian Sharp at Boulder Motorsports told me that he now had the capability to remap the ECU I decided it was time to kiss the cat goodbye. I decided to go with the LV mid-pipe based on feedback from the forum - and stick with the stock exhaust - at least to start - because I think the design fits the bike. My primary objective was less heat, weight loss and a cleaner look - and possibly a moto that sounds like a Ducati.
I got the bike back this morning and went out for a ride tonight - some low speed suburban riding as well as highway. Less heat - check. Less weight - double check. Cleaner look - check. Since sound is subjective I will just say I like it - its louder but not abrasive - just authoritative. It even has a slight 'burbling' on de-acceleration. I usually ride with earplugs but I did this ride without to make sure I got an accurate perspective.

As if this wasn't enough - I also gained about 4 more HP - 131 to 135 RHP and any surging is completely gone. There does seem to be less less braking effect downshifting to 1st that will take some getting used to.

I don't know whose software Brian is using - I know it's been in development for a while and is sourced from Europe - Germany I think.

Highly recommended. Oh - total cost was under $1K for the mid-pipe and reprogramming.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I purchased a mid pipe from China $150 and free shipping. Some body posted it here so I thought about it and took a chance.
I have had it on for 7 months and it is great. The bike sounds like a Ducati should and like you I have retained the standard exhuast because I haven't seen one to date that looks better.
I didn't need to have it remaped, have no surging or popping.
My bike is a 2011 but I also rekon our bikes for Australia are tuned different to your's in the US because of emmition standards.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I purchased a mid pipe from China $150 and free shipping. Some body posted it here so I thought about it and took a chance.
I have had it on for 7 months and it is great. The bike sounds like a Ducati should and like you I have retained the standard exhuast because I haven't seen one to date that looks better.
I didn't need to have it remaped, have no surging or popping.
My bike is a 2011 but I also rekon our bikes for Australia are tuned different to your's in the US because of emmition standards.
Where would a fellow find one of these Chinese mid pipes, and it fit right up? How is the noise level without the cat?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Johnny, that looks really clean and light without the cat. I like what you have doen with the rear hanger and removed the rear guard. Does the removal of the rear guard make much difference to under seat mess.
Also like to know where you sourced the mid pipe too please Johnny.
Cheers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
To source the mid pipe go here danmoto_accessories on e bay.
The mid pipe makes the bike loud, Ducati loud, like they use to be. Yes it fit right up.
It can also be used to mount other exhuasts.
Remember if you take the cat off you have to fool the exhaust valve actuator. I used a spring on the end of the cable to mimic the one on the cat.

For taking off the rear gaurd yes there is a lot of water/dirt that comes up in the wet. If I was to go away on a trip I would fit it back.

·
Bon Vivant
10,962 Posts
Robb, I know that Brian is now a distributor for Tuneboy (Australia). I'm not sure that's what he used on your bike but I'd bet that it is.

It'll be interesting to see if your millage changes.

I like the idea of dumping the cat but I just don't think I could deal with mine being that loud.
And, my bike works so good stock I hate to mess with it. I have no surging or fueling issues at all on my bike.

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its listed on an Aus eBay site, I can't find it on the US side. I'll email the seller and see what gives and report back if I get an answer. It's $195.00 AU whatever that is, what do they use for currency down there, kangaroo pelts? :D

Ducati Multistrada 1200 Catalytic Cat Eliminator Mid decat Pipe Exhaust CA12 | eBay

Looks like they will not ship to the states, here is a GBR listing and the USA is excluded.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 Catalytic Cat Eliminator Mid decat Pipe Exhaust CA12 | eBay
Try this
Ducati Multistrada 1200 Catalytic Converter Cat Eliminator decat Exhaust CA12 | eBay

·
Registered
117 Posts
New Exhaust

Brian from Boulder Motorsports did mine as well. MIVV pipe with the Termi Slipon I already had. Brian told me the software he's using came from Italy of that I'm sure. Bike runs great but is definitely a lot louder. Here's what it looks looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Compare exhausts

Hey Robb, wouldn't mind meeting up some day in the near future to compare the sounds out of your LV pipe and the MIVV I have on. Mines a bit too loud I think although with earplugs in its really pretty good. Let me know if you're able to meet some day so I can check out how load your setup is. Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
185 Posts
Robb, I know that Brian is now a distributor for Tuneboy (Australia). I'm not sure that's what he used on your bike but I'd bet that it is.

It'll be interesting to see if your millage changes.

I like the idea of dumping the cat but I just don't think I could deal with mine being that loud.
And, my bike works so good stock I hate to mess with it. I have no surging or fueling issues at all on my bike.
I'm in the same boat. Don't want to drop my mileage, especially, and really don't feel the need to make the bike any louder. Loud pipes ban bikes, and all that jazz.

And yet I'm still afraid that the cat burglar will visit me at some point...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts