Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been covered a million times, but I figured I'd drop a post here hoping someone might steer me right.

I currently have a 2014 Monster 1200s, I love it, it's loud, it's brash, it's beautiful, but it isn't exactly the touring kind of bike. I'm keeping her forever, but I was thinking about adding a Multi to my garage.

I was looking at the years 2010 through 2014ish, that's my price bracket I'd like to stay 8k to 9k US, something sub 15k miles.

I'm familiar with the engines, but I am not familiar with the suspensions. I know there is the semi-active, there is the Ohlins and Sachs versions, etc. I am currently looking at at 12' 1200 ABS, 9900 miles, all services up, and it's super clean. Like brand new clean. Is there anything specific I should look out for besides the obvious documentation, accidents, etc?

The obvious takeaway for me, I don't really plan on doing any 2up, how important is one specific suspension over another, what exactly would I be losing out on going with the ABS model vs the touring/s models?

Thank you for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
2010 was the first year of the 4V water-cooled desmoquattro engine in the multi. I'd opt for closer to 2014 if your wallet allows as the bugs got worked out and also the electronics seemed to improve year over year. Suspension really depends on how you ride and how interested you are in making adjustments... if you are straight-up superslab touring then it doesn't matter. Realize also that the base suspension for the multi is damn good on any model. I've got an S with Ohlins and it's phenomenal. But, I only notice the "phenomenal-ness" when I ride it hard... thats when you notice how it performs under hard braking, how it handles the bumps (particularly in corners) and how much front-end feel/confidence you have as a result. My bike pre-dates "ride modes" but my next bike will have them... I find myself doing some off-road riding on my MTS lately and a de-tuned mode would be nice for that. I'd also like to have cornering ABS which is tied into the IMU, launch control, and quickshifter but... $$$.

Good luck, ride them all and pick the one that makes you feel like God.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you're willing to spend a little more, I might sell my '13 S Touring. EXCELLENT condition. Has extended warranty until next year.

16K miles. Full service just completed. Absolutely everything done.
New chain and sprockets
New Pirelli's
Top case
SC Project ti exhaust with Rexxer map
Denali driving lights
Garmin 395 with TPMS
DP Carbon short windscreen
CNC Pro foot controls
Adjustable height footrests
Innovv front/rear dash cams
Fuzeblock
DP led rear signals
Radiator guard

This bike is insanely nice and just had a ton of upgrades and maintenance done.
$10900

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts