Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all, always had Duck dreams and now an 07 ST3 has caught my eye-no bags, abs, 35k on it and sounding tres' cheap at a non-duck dealer.

What needs inspecting and how intimidating are those miles? I see the thread with guys that have circumnavigated the globe a couple times w/original engines but what things need to be done at what intervals by 35k? Probably zero history on it as it's at a dealership.:confused:

Any input is appreciated!

·
7,733 Posts
I have owned my 2005 ST3 since new, and can say I've been very satisfied with the bike so far. No major issues. Never spent a day in the shop for a breakdown. It's always ran well. The key to a good ownership experience is knowing what to look for going in, and staying on top of things.

The 36K *major* service is due, so that means belts and shim check/adjust as well as TPS reset and CO adjustment and TB sync if you want to do it right along with plugs and filters, oil and fuel, and fluid changes. Not cheap so the dealer should make it either part of the deal or substantially reduce the price in consideration of.

It may need its third set of chains and spockets too.

Slave cylinder may need replacing by now as well.

Voltage regulator connectors, by the coolant return bottle, under the right hand mid panel are known to over heat sometimes so you may want to check the condition of the connector.

Consider upgrading the rear shock, the Sachs is not a bad shock but it's a PITA to dial in because it's hard to adjust pre-load, and adding a rear ride height adjuster link, or if upgrading the shock get one with a height adjuster.

May as well drop in a damper kit and stiffer fork sprngs while you're at it.

If it's an S model, forget the above.

There *could* be an issue with brakes juddering that can be resolved with some time and effort and a little money re different pads, buttons or even upgrading to new rotors or modifyig buttons etc.

CHECK THE ENGINE MOUNT BOLTS, especially the rear. If they haven't been checked for correct torque by the PO, make sure the bike wasn't laid down hard. Those bolts have a tendancy to get loose and the engine cases could crack given the right constellation of conditions. It's rare, but it can happen.

Generally speaking, they are good bikes, probably about as dependable as most others; comfy and quick, that will put and keep a smile on your face, and run well for many years if properly maintained. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, what a reply & what a list. $4k is the asking price which seems low end which makes me think it a rebuilder-when does a dealer come in low on the initial price(non-duc dealer)?

·
7,733 Posts
Wow, what a reply & what a list. $4k is the asking price which seems low end which makes me think it a rebuilder-when does a dealer come in low on the initial price(non-duc dealer)?
Is he selling it as is, or with a safety and a warranty and the service work done? Is it a Ducati dealer? No side cases brings the price down about 800.00 IMO. So if he's not including the service that may need to be done, that's maybe 1600-1800.00 less than a bike that's ready to go with cases.

That list is based on 8 seasons of ownership experience condensed into one relpy. :) It may sound onerous, but it's not. The thing is, they are great bikes, but you need to know about their issues, and keep on top of them. Like any bike. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True enough about 'any bike', even the tigers I've been looking at.

Got the story on this one today-no service or history, just oil, fluids etc. Sound sl like they want it gone since a kid came in and knocked over 3 bikes, this being one of them. Broken mirror and a crack in the fairing-as is pricing + 299 'doc fee.' I think 3500 would buy it I bet as is.

I've seen deals on used duc bags but I figure 400-500 plus the cost of the service. At least I would know the service was done if I had it gone through.

·
7,733 Posts
True enough about 'any bike', even the tigers I've been looking at.

Got the story on this one today-no service or history, just oil, fluids etc. Sound sl like they want it gone since a kid came in and knocked over 3 bikes, this being one of them. Broken mirror and a crack in the fairing-as is pricing + 299 'doc fee.' I think 3500 would buy it I bet as is.

I've seen deals on used duc bags but I figure 400-500 plus the cost of the service. At least I would know the service was done if I had it gone through.
If looking at side cases, remember you need the mounting brackets and extended turn signal stalks too. The mirror and the side panel will be expensive to replace if they can't be repaired.

If you are a little mechanically inclined, you'll be able to save a bundle on that service work, but you will still need to invest in some manuals/parts, but you get to keep them and if you general cost average those expenses into your next X amount of servcies you're way ahead of the game. Example. The past four years of shims and belt servicing for me has cost me approx 400.00, plus my time and labour of course. I saved probably 6-800.00 for those two service intervals and those services had I used a dealer. :) The amount of information the members have here will be invaluable as well.

Tigers are expensive to maintain too if using a dealer. IIRC, maybe more than Ducatis according to some reports I read a number of years ago. :)

Good luck with your choice. :)

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Try to take it for a test drive. If the front brakes pulsate, or shudder, (as Frank mentioned), you could use it as a bargaining tool, to lower the price even further.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More great tips. embarrassed to say that I'm an old AMI grad so can do the work but have really been away from bikes for 25 years even though a Rickman & Matador inhabit my warehouse. I'm less inclined and don't have time to do much work myself but would love to.

It sounds as though the fairing need replaced as the dealer said it was too much to replace for them.

So the worst case scenario-36k service at a cost of &____? + the service routine you outlined at maybe $300 + bags/fairing/mirror (used maybe)= more than I can but one in shape with history for. That & the $299 added dealer profit to boot...

·
7,733 Posts
More great tips. embarrassed to say that I'm an old AMI grad so can do the work but have really been away from bikes for 25 years even though a Rickman & Matador inhabit my warehouse. I'm less inclined and don't have time to do much work myself but would love to.

It sounds as though the fairing need replaced as the dealer said it was too much to replace for them.

So the worst case scenario-36k service at a cost of &____? + the service routine you outlined at maybe $300 + bags/fairing/mirror (used maybe)= more than I can but one in shape with history for. That & the $299 added dealer profit to boot...
Looks like you have some research to do on resale prices and service and parts prices so you can compare how much you might save and decide if those savings are worth it. :) Considering the mechanical maitenance work that needs to be done, *and* the cosmetic repairs *and* the additon of cases, 4K as is is too much. May as well buy one that's good to go IMO. :)

EDIT: I see it has carbon fibre cannisters. If the bike also has a d/p ecu, then that would make it more valuable by about 1K. The ferring damage looks minor and you could *maybe* get away with a repair. So, if you remove the price of a ferring, and side cases if you didn't want them, 3500 is probably very good, and 4, if the bike has been dialed in with the d/p ecu, seems fair too. :)

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Make sure they give you the mirror. If the stalk is okay, you should be able to source the base on ebay or from a duc recycler for cheap. It is usually the stalk or outer part that get trashed. The base is a bit soft as you can see and is easily cross threaded or stripped, but. . .

A person here (username: Mike Shannon) can get you replacement springs for the mirror. They are not sold separate from Duc.

That fairing is looks plenty fixable.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Looks like you have some research to do on resale prices and service and parts prices so you can compare how much you might save and decide if those savings are worth it. :) Considering the mechanical maitenance work that needs to be done, *and* the cosmetic repairs *and* the additon of cases, 4K as is is too much. May as well buy one that's good to go IMO. :)
Yep, considering the prices some folks have noted.

houseofcharm,

Note that stryder's service price was doing it himself. Double that or more for a shop.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like a bargain only on the surface. I can live with a touched up fairing but needs a mirror, checkover as above and then the biggie service. These are 5-6k bikes so no real room for error-just a buncha woik!

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
New fairing runs about $700, painted.
The RH mirror, also red, is about $200.
Bags used to be available at a super price of $685, including mounts.
Not sure about reflectors, etc.
Ducati ST 2004-06 Red Hard Bags (96722001AA) | Pro Italia

Picture looks like they dipped the bike in Armorall...

If you don't want to do the service yourself, you really need deep pockets or seriously consider another bike.
A Ducati should be looked at as an ongoing project bike, not something you can ride and forget about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And if it's such a deal, why's it still there...? I think 3k is plenty out the door w/tax but I'm sure they'll never go for that unless they cleaned up with insurance on it.

Conversely, most ads are asking 5800-7500 for an 06-07 st3...

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Whatever "good" stuff you find, DON'T voice it to the dealer. Keep it upstairs.
Keep talking the negative items (fairing is expensive, parts hard to find, brakes pulsate, etc. make up some bs.) All to degrade it and lower the price.

Try not to get too excited (in front of them). Make your offer, say $3200 out-the-door, and then be prepared to walk. Just make sure they have your phone #. It's towards end of riding season (for most), and they know they'll be sitting on this... They'll probably call you the next day!

Maybe state that last fact...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Good bargaining advice. This is FL so we're coming into season. And they are 2 hours away(we live in an isolated yet 4th wealthiest part of FL-not a damn thing to buy here, cars boats etc) so I need to do my hondling via email. They may want to get rid of damaged goods, they advertise '99 USEd BIKES!'

I think 3200 + tax,tag etc is it on this one. 2k more & I get one road ready w/history hopefully. And I wouldn't need to de-armor-all it with muriatic acid...

·
Registered
06' ST3
437 Posts
You've got no leverage if trying to negotiate the price via email. You've got to be there in person. Make the 2 hour trip with cash in hand and gear up for battle.

The price of $4k sounds fair but not great, especially given the mileage, knock-over damage, no bags, and major service due. Like Stryder said, seeing that the pipes are CF is a hint that it might have the DP package which is a nice and expensive upgrade. It looks like the bike is missing something where the front sprocket is ...a cover maybe?? I don't recall that my front sprocket is that noticeable. If you don't want to do the service yourself, find a good independent Duc mechanic in your area. They will save you quite a bit. At minimum, you can easily do the oil/oil filter change and air filter. You can get after market mirrors that are nice. I have black ones made by FAR. $140 for the pair. OEMs are $200 each. Bags can be found from time to time on eBay. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Just another data point on pricing.

I bought my '07 ST3s ABS about a month ago for $7500 at my local Ducati dealer (consignment sale). It had 5K miles on it and it really was in showroom condition. It included the hard bags, the Ducati carbon fiber/ECU/airbox package, touring shield, heated grips, HELI-bars, and Ducati tank bag. The only thing it needed were a pair of new tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just another data point on pricing.

I bought my '07 ST3s ABS about a month ago for $7500 at my local Ducati dealer (consignment sale). It had 5K miles on it and it really was in showroom condition. It included the hard bags, the Ducati carbon fiber/ECU/airbox package, touring shield, heated grips, HELI-bars, and Ducati tank bag. The only thing it needed were a pair of new tires.
So add in 2500 for miles, 600 bags, 300 more for the rest and 500 for abs and yours is a better deal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts