Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seller only has one black key. Is their way to make some copies without the red key and having to buy a new ecu, gauge cluster and keys? There is an old blog from 2007 that talks about a solution, but I am not sure if it is valid for this model. I copied a portion of the article below.

"... if you have a black key, but no red key, you can make a copy of the black key. You will need a Silca KW17T5 transponder key blank and a lock smith with one of the following cloners (Ilco/Silca - RW2 or RW3, Strattec - Quick code, Jet – Smart clone, Bianchi - Repli-code).

If you want to McGyver it, take the dynamic D sticker off of your black key, push the cross pin out so you can pull the key blade out of the plastic head, then fish out the transponder and JB Weld it on the inside of your ignition housing. Then go get all the $5.00 keys made you want!"

Thanks for your input
Steve

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you are refering to vespa jim he did 2 for me and the one I recieved works as it should. The cloneing machine you mentioned is not the only one that will work, there are several others aswell.(still waiting on the second I will call today)
I isured my only key for 3000.00 when I shipped it out just in case it got lost I could replace most everything needed.
need others advice on the folling option.
Now IF you have replaced the ECU with a non programmed performance unit, can the imobilizer be disabled and just use a cut copy of your key?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Red Key lost

Thanks you so much!!! I was going to not buy the bike unless there is a reasonable solution. I will call the locksmith today.

Thanks again! If you are ever in Colorado riding look me up 303 931-8476.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Thanks you so much!!! I was going to not buy the bike unless there is a reasonable solution. I will call the locksmith today.

Thanks again! If you are ever in Colorado riding look me up 303 931-8476.
Of course the ordinary (Black) keys do not allow entry into the diagnostics.
I was told by my dealer to always take my RED key when touring away from home in case it developed a problem and the local shop needed access.
Thats what I was told.
A cloned BLACK key would just be another ignition key.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I was told by my dealer to always take my RED key when touring away from home in case it developed a problem and the local shop needed access.
Thats what I was told.
I think your dealer is havering Alan :)
I have the VDSTS software and it accesses the diagnostics just fine without using the red key. Also, the Ducati workshop manual makes no mention of having to use the red key when connecting the Ducati Diagnostic tester.
When going abroad, I would however take the code card or at least a note of the code number, in case the immobiliser should play up and you need to override it.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
As long as you have the key code you can disable the security system with the VSDT software, I did it to mine. I can do it to yours as well, but I am in MN.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well, I would also insist on at least $1,500 be dropped from the asking price, as the bike will be a lot harder to sell for full value, and the market is not in very good shape, overall right now, I bet the seller will give you a steal of a deal if you just ask.

Thats what I was told.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I think your dealer is havering Alan :)
I have the VDSTS software and it accesses the diagnostics just fine without using the red key. Also, the Ducati workshop manual makes no mention of having to use the red key when connecting the Ducati Diagnostic tester.
When going abroad, I would however take the code card or at least a note of the code number, in case the immobiliser should play up and you need to override it.
Thats good to know , as its one less thing (key) my wife has to carry when we travel......I guess my dealer was trying to be helpful as he had nothing to gain from the advice.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
The infamous "Red Key" must be one of the dumbest things Ducati has ever done in my opinion. You hear numerous stories all revolving around the "Red Key." I've only been on this site since 07 but have seen tons of posts with the phrase "Red Key" in them. I'm glad they finally stopped with the "Red Key." I've been lucky enough to have owned models prior to the "Red Key" or after so I have not had to deal with them. FYI I do know that on the newer models you can only have one key by the ignition otherwise it will not start........Goodluck with the new purchase and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Seller only has one black key. Is their way to make some copies without the red key and having to buy a new ecu, gauge cluster and keys? There is an old blog from 2007 that talks about a solution, but I am not sure if it is valid for this model. I copied a portion of the article below.
Just a cuiosity, but are you sure this is a good deal? I've bought 3 Ducs in my life and the ones I've looked at without all the keys and docs generally turned out to have some serious problem, with a crash in their past or they were stolen. If you haven't dropped the money already, I'd think twice about this. It WILL be a problem with certain service actions. There may be more to this than someone just got careless.

mk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shame On Ducati

The infamous "Red Key" must be one of the dumbest things Ducati has ever done in my opinion. You hear numerous stories all revolving around the "Red Key." I've only been on this site since 07 but have seen tons of posts with the phrase "Red Key" in them. I'm glad they finally stopped with the "Red Key." I've been lucky enough to have owned models prior to the "Red Key" or after so I have not had to deal with them. FYI I do know that on the newer models you can only have one key by the ignition otherwise it will not start........Goodluck with the new purchase and let us know how it turns out.

"Dumb" isn't the word. I bought my '05 ST4s off a Craigslist ad, I'm in KC and the bike was in Cedar City, UT. Had a old friend who just happened to live 30 miles away look the bike over for me. Only had 5900 miles, clean, all the keys etc. I'm still recovering from a Carpal Tunnel Surgery (I'm thinkin 35 yrs of riding had something to do with that...still wouldn't trade a mile of it away) or I would have flown out and rode the bike home. Instead it was shipped and the keys were mailed separately.
THE US F*****G Postal Service screwed up. The Priority flat mailer was damaged, there were three key rings in the box along with a bunch of bubble wrap. The box arrived mangled, with two sets of keys and no bubble wrap.
I got the pannier keys, ONE black ignition key and the keys for the lock under the seat. The RED key as well as one spare ignition key, both on a seperate keyring are MIA. I should be thankful they didn't loose all the keys......
It's my fault... I should have insisted the seller insure the keys for $3500..but I had no idea there was this much bullshit involved in a stupid RED key.
I've also got an 04 S4R. When I bought that bike I was told "whatever you do, don't loose the red key" which I haven't...but never realized this kind of shit could happen. You would think having the Key Code would be enough.
THANKS! I really appreciate this thread, and I will contact the locksmith in CA once I get thru the Moto GP at Indy and the Springfield Mile. I know...don't loose the key!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Are there any other reliable places for this service? The guy listed here is away to Hawaii until late April.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts