Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oi!

I've been thinking about getting a set of replacement plastics for my Hyper but don't wanna fork out thousands of dollars for the OEM DP bits.

Anyone got any hot tips for buying complete plastics somewhere cheap? Headlight, tank bits, rear tail....

I'm looking at full custom paint so don't really care if it's just cheap after market fibreglass or whatever, gonna paint the whole thing matte black.

Cheers big ears

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hopefully someone has a good suggestion, I want to get a set as well so I can have a black or white hyper to suit my mood.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I never had much luck with cheap plastics, there doesn't seem to be the same market as there is for the superbikes. For those there are some cheap/decent Chinese sets on eBay, but nothing for the hyper. Your cheapest alternative is to get so carbon fiber from tekarbon. Cheaper then OEM, decent quality, rough up the clearcoat and I would imagine it paints just fine.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The cheapest way is chinese carbon fiber on ebay.
But remember the rule, you get what you paid for.

I scored on ebay a pair of tank fairings for 124$ on a close out sale from "TwillTechcf". Yup, only that.
The part is laughable, the twill is wrong and uneven, the fitting need a little bit of dremel skills and the inside is pretty much glass fiber. For 124$ I wasnt expecting much more anyway.

But, for trackdays, painting or wrapping, you cant beat that price.

Right now I'm in a wrapping process, if you want a simple mat black, you should look into 3M 1080 series.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cheapest way is chinese carbon fiber on ebay.
But remember the rule, you get what you paid for.

I scored on ebay a pair of tank fairings for 124$ on a close out sale from "TwillTechcf". Yup, only that.
The part is laughable, the twill is wrong and uneven, the fitting need a little bit of dremel skills and the inside is pretty much glass fiber. For 124$ I wasnt expecting much more anyway.

But, for trackdays, painting or wrapping, you cant beat that price.

Right now I'm in a wrapping process, if you want a simple mat black, you should look into 3M 1080 series.
That's pretty much where I've been heading too - ebay blugh.
I found a headlight cowl for US $199 (look up ebay Item number: 230661945174)
which I thought was alright considering the DP one was $600 in AUD, but I hadn't thought about wrapping, good alternative mate -ta.

Wouldn't wrap my originals cause they are 2012 Corse edition meaning painted stripes that would lift shouLd I ever wanna revert to original.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Your cheapest alternative is to get so carbon fiber from tekarbon. Cheaper then OEM, decent quality, rough up the clearcoat and I would imagine it paints just fine.
You have some of their stuff right?
How is the fitment? Obviously the weave and finish aren't of much consequence here.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
You have some of their stuff right?
How is the fitment? Obviously the weave and finish aren't of much consequence here.
I had no issues with the fit, the weave and finish were just as good as much more expensive brands. If you go this route try to stay away from the best-em brand, their batches seem to have a lot of variability. Some with have good lick, others won't.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Oi!

I've been thinking about getting a set of replacement plastics for my Hyper but don't wanna fork out thousands of dollars for the OEM DP bits.

Anyone got any hot tips for buying complete plastics somewhere cheap? Headlight, tank bits, rear tail....

I'm looking at full custom paint so don't really care if it's just cheap after market fibreglass or whatever, gonna paint the whole thing matte black.

Cheers big ears
matte blk...........ewwwwwww...i know what to get you for x-mas...a seeing eye dog!!.......maybe with fluro green wheels it will look nice....you could always get it wrapped at Exotic Graphix ..they did my car.....they are in vic too. johnnie

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Matte black looks primer and unfinished most of the time.
I'm yet to see a car or bike in matte that does not suck in real life, wrap or paint.

2 days a ago I saw a matte black wrapped carrera 4S, yuck.
Ferrari of Quebec has a 16M in grigio opaco since many many monthes in inventory, looks gorgeous on photos but so unfinished in real.

I'm going solid black for my wrap, 3M gloass black.
3M also just introduced a metalc black which is very nice.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Matte black looks primer and unfinished most of the time.
I'm yet to see a car or bike in matte that does not suck in real life, wrap or paint.

2 days a ago I saw a matte black wrapped carrera 4S, yuck.
Ferrari of Quebec has a 16M in grigio opaco since many many monthes in inventory, looks gorgeous on photos but so unfinished in real.

I'm going solid black for my wrap, 3M gloass black.
3M also just introduced a metalc black which is very nice.

agree 100%

i saw a SL 63 AMG black series in matt wrap..even that car struggled to look awesome..i just had my roof wrapped in Gloss Black 3M ..looks like blk glass..awesome (if your into that stuff)

john

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
agree 100%

i saw a SL 63 AMG black series in matt wrap..even that car struggled to look awesome..i just had my roof wrapped in Gloss Black 3M ..looks like blk glass..awesome (if your into that stuff)

john
I can see my matt black idea is not very popular! Maybe it needs work.. hmm

I've checked out a full gloss black 1100 EVO, it looked good with the black trellis, maybe that'd be the go with the red trellis? still gotta get some new plastics cause I can't wrap mine (stripes).

Dont wanna be the ugly, unpopular kid.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
dude contact nick at exotic grapix ...he is a wrapping god!! tell him John with the silver audi told you to call......they could design you a custom graphic-d wrap........epic!!! surely your stickers are cleared over right?? they are on mine?

you have a red frame right...send him a pic of ya bike..mate the do race cars race boats jet ski's ...they are the best and sort of on your side of town,,,,

just teasing on the MATT i dont like it...you get whatever you like thou man....but they could make you something very RAD!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does any US company sell graphix kits for the Hyper? I saw some via a link for Ebay in Italy but was looking for a US company with a website maybe to check them out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dude contact nick at exotic grapix ...he is a wrapping god!! tell him John with the silver audi told you to call......they could design you a custom graphic-d wrap........epic!!! surely your stickers are cleared over right?? they are on mine?

you have a red frame right...send him a pic of ya bike..mate the do race cars race boats jet ski's ...they are the best and sort of on your side of town,,,,

just teasing on the MATT i dont like it...you get whatever you like thou man....but they could make you something very RAD!
you da man, will do!

I pulled up a white stripe by applying the wrong tank guard, so I know the stripes are not cleared over... was just thinking that if I aplied a wrap and then wanted to revert, it will lift all the striping of the original plastics....?

This was my inspiration for the black idea... sort of looks matt, no?
Looks freakin tuff I rekcon! (image courtesy of Merovingian and teh internets)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
oh yeah John, btw where did you get your custom tailpiece from pls?

PS - this is former Dan_HyperEVOSP which was a lame name, this new name is much better :D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
oh yeah John, btw where did you get your custom tailpiece from pls?

PS - this is former Dan_HyperEVOSP which was a lame name, this new name is much better :D
mate your lucky the P and F are at diff sides of the keyboard...hahhahhaha

(reference to your new name) ...my tail wont work with underseat pipes ..however luck for you fabio does a 2-2 tail

tell him johnnie from OZ sent you and you are from ducati.ms (forum) you will be looked after! Aviacompositi [[email protected]] FABIO ok

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mate your lucky the P and F are at diff sides of the keyboard...hahhahhaha

(reference to your new name) ...my tail wont work with underseat pipes ..however luck for you fabio does a 2-2 tail

tell him johnnie from OZ sent you and you are from ducati.ms (forum) you will be looked after! Aviacompositi [[email protected]] FABIO ok
Heehehehe...

Puk that tails cool! Thanks man.

·
Registered
21 Posts
you da man, will do!

I pulled up a white stripe by applying the wrong tank guard, so I know the stripes are not cleared over... was just thinking that if I aplied a wrap and then wanted to revert, it will lift all the striping of the original plastics....?

This was my inspiration for the black idea... sort of looks matt, no?
Looks freakin tuff I rekcon! (image courtesy of Merovingian and teh internets)

Pretty sure that is Mangler7's hyper and it is definitely nice.
PM him about it, he's a friendly dude.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found the ugliest mofo site in the whole internets, but they have plastics for the Hyper (in Euro $) that don't price up too poorly.

Anyone dealt with these guys before?

LuisMoto

1 - 19 of 19 Posts