Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always owned Honda bikes and have always dreamed of having a ducati monster. I hear all kinds of stories about how Italian bikes don't hold up like Japanese bikes. I am wondering why I should buy a ducati monster over the suzuki sv. Are ducatis that much harder to work on yourself? Are they any less reliable than a Japanese bike?

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
One of the members here had over 250,000 miles on his. I see them often over 50,000 miles. There are some known issues and they are not bikes that like to be neglected and miss-maintained. If you do good work when needed they are as reliable as anything else. I would say on average Japanese bikes are more reliable than European/American bikes, but European/American are built well.

What year/ models are you looking at, there may be some better idea of what to expect and look for. If a older monster be sure to do your homework as the reliability has more to do with past owners than where it was made. A SV is a great bike it just does not cause me to stare at it as much as my monsters, I love my monsters. I did not like /get them at first it was only after buying my first one for a track bike that the fun took hold now I have ... a couple assembled and a couple waiting in the wings.

·
Registered
- 2020 Multistrada 1260S GT
71 Posts
I wouldn’t say they are less reliable, but they are MORE expensive to maintain. But the adrenaline rush you get compared to a Japanese bike will make you know the way of truth

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 S2R 1000 and absolutely love it. I've had a number of Japanese bikes and none have had the character of the Ducati. I must admit that the Ducati needs more TLC than your typical Honda or Yamaha, however, I really like working it. I don't think it is any harder to work on than Japanese bikes, it's just different than what I was used to. With the aid of the internet and various websites I'm not having any issues I can't handle.

As crazy as it might sound, I've developed a bond with the S2R. I highly recommend going with a Ducati. Another benefit is the way they handle, it's like you're on rails.

Best,
Benny

·
Registered
919 Posts
Ducati are unique because of a few things, they have quality components, they have Desmodromic valve actuation and most have Belt driven cams.
They tend to attract a lot of wankers that think they're pretty and sound good.... But those same wankers are also tight and think they can either A maintain it themselves or B not bother with maintenance......

They are no more unreliable than any other bike, so if you service it on time they will serve you well, if you're one of those tight idiots that shortcut maintenance and refuse to adhere to the bikes service schedule then stick with your Honda, because while they will still have problems when neglected they will likely be cheaper to resurrect when they do.....
If you ride one you will likely enjoy it, they make loads of torque and are a blast to ride, they can be a lot of fun and really are worth every penny that they cost, regardless of how reliable a Honda is they won't give you the same experience, and nothing comes for free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've also never purchased a new motorcycle before. If they have a maintenance plan should I get it or extend warranty? What are some things to do? No one in my family has bought a new vehicle so I'm trying to gain any wisdom I can get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts