Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Looking at picking up my first Ducati Superbike tomorrow. It's an '02 998 with 21,000 miles on it. I have had a Monster s2r in the past and have been out of the Ducati addiction for a little bit. Any problems I need to worry about? I have been doing some researching on here and it looks like the issues with the rocker arms were only in the 996 and not in the 998. Any bit of advice would definitely help. I know the miles are high but not too bad considering it's a 10 year old bike. Thanks guys.

·
Idiot Savant
1,187 Posts
I can't let this question go completely unanswered so..

I'm no guru on the 998 but one thing I know for certain is that you want to ask for documentation on the bikes's maintenance history. Ask to see receipts. If they can't supply them, walk away. Better yet, run.

There should especially be receipts for regular/consecutive oil changes and timing belt replacements. Even if they do their own work there should be receipts for the materials.

Hopefully somebody with more model specific knowledge will chime in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. Thanks. I am buying it from a local shop with some maintenance records and the dealer said that previous owner also used another shop so I will check on that too. Bike looks good, is a regular 998 with 998r fairings and tons of carbon parts. Don't care too much about the carbon. I just care that it runs well.

·
Idiot Savant
1,187 Posts
If you are buying from a shop see if you can wrestle a little bit of written warranty out of 'em. That would go a long way toward inspiring confidence in the bike's condition.

If you do end up getting it be sure to post pics so I can be jealous.
I want one.

Luck!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I can't let this question go completely unanswered so..

I'm no guru on the 998 but one thing I know for certain is that you want to ask for documentation on the bikes's maintenance history. Ask to see receipts. If they can't supply them, walk away. Better yet, run.

There should especially be receipts for regular/consecutive oil changes and timing belt replacements. Even if they do their own work there should be receipts for the materials.
This is where I would start with any Ducati. I've had two '02 998s. One was a 998S Bayliss. Had them for about 2 yrs. each and I never had a problem with either. I'd own another in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Sweet, sounds like a nice clean find. Good luck on the purchase...def get all the records you can as everyone said.

And....if you don't want the carbon parts *wink wink..nudge nudge* ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Congrats, lets see some pics!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I saw that one. Nice ride. Have lots of fun and congrats!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. The bike is unbelievable! So many carbon parts seriously. Lol. Pics can't do it justice. I have a lot of the history and still getting more. PO apparently used two shops for maintenance work. Road her around today and it is totally different from my jap bikes. Even from my monster s2r. So much awesome power but very smooth. Turn-in feels weird. Must be that v twin thing or geometry, but definitely something I need to get used to. Love it though.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
These older bikes need a bit of work to turn it into a corner. Double check suspension settings, ride height, tyre profile used etc. Previous owners are known to dial a bike in differently to the "norm" so it helps to go over it and just make sure.

Enjoy the new to you ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts