Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying with the idea of buying a 350 or 450 Scrambler, which means buying from Italy, but how is this possible without getting scammed? There are loads of ads on the net for the bikes and I can arrange transport to the UK, but how will I know if the bike is any good? Will it ever arrive? Does it even exist? Once I have transferred the money into the vendor's bank account it is gone, one way or another, for good. It is not so risky to buy from a main dealer, but a private vendor is a different proposition.

Has anyone experience of this type of transaction and can tell me how it works? Obviously people do buy abroad all the time, so it must be possible.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It might be worth seeing if John Fallon can help you out, Colin ... ?

(I have similar qualms about buying out of Spain, not least making sure all the export paperwork is done correctly)

Craig

·
Registered
656 Posts
Colin I looked into this when I bought my MHR. The paperwork is critical and the process for that is specific for Australia at least. I wanted to import a Lav from England, but by the time you paid everything it ended up prohibitively expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
I’d not do it without a paid agent in the Country experienced with bike export. And it won’t be cheap... probably only makes sense for rare/collectible models I suspect.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Colin why Italy ? the prices in north Europe are cheaper i think . and further more dont thrust a Italian restoration .
Eldert

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the replies, all very valid and it probably is a silly idea.

Eldert, I have heard that Italian restorations can be a bit 'dodgy', but there are a lot of Scramblers for sale in Italy, but very few in Northern Europe. There are some cheap Spanish wrecks on eBay, but they have obviously been ridden into the ground and then dumped in a shed and I know from past experience the damage some people do to engines. I think that I'd better forget the idea!

·
Tightly Clenched...
962 Posts
If I was in the UK I'd travel to Italy once things got serious enough I was about to hand over money. It'd be like me travelling from Adelaide to Melbourne or something, worth the drive to be 100% sure.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Older dude standpoint: I just wouldn’t. Too many possible ways of this thing not coming out right. I have bought things sight unseen and it has never worked out in my favor, even when I paid extra for an inspection by a private party. I just got taken by both the seller and the inspector. Be patient, look for something local that you can personally make a decision on.
Your chances of being satisfied on a long distance transaction are just not good.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are right. Many people do buy abroad, but I'm guessing that they buy from reputable dealers. Friend of mine bought a bike from Denmark and had it delivered to the UK and all was well, but the selling dealer has an international reputation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Live dangerously and you may be rewarded (or not). I suppose it could be likened to gambling, never bet what you are prepared to lose. But seriously you can take care, send lots of email questions, seek paperwork evidence and then phone calls if you can even with an interpreter. Even better arrange a visit if it’s a valuable great buy
I have bought and shipped back to Oz 8 bikes, from holland, Austria, Germany, UK, and 2 from Italy. All were pretty much what I expected and have not regretted. A couple I walked away from and one I verified as a scam, by seeking some confirmation from the Ducati club in Poland, they responded via FB very quickly. That was one of those too good to be true examples. If something does not seem right walk away.
There are good transport operators in Europe, I prefer to stick with Shippio in London, they arrange transportation across the continent and to all countries

·
Registered
352 Posts
Widecase 350 SCR might be best all-around Ducati single, more usable power than a 250, not nearly (but still some) of the vibration of the 450's - every 450 I've owned would vibrate your hands and feet to sleep, vibrate the filaments out of every bulb, tag brackets off the back, the cracks radiating from every fender and sheet metal hole, not to metion vibrate out your fillings in yer teeth and vibrate away your sanity........... That being said I still own (2) 450's, I just dont ride them much- but I have (5) 350 and (2) 250's..............

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've owned two 350's and a 450 in my time and wish that I had kept one or all of them, but that is life. Vibration was a problem with all of them (don't know why, but they are very buzzy engines compared to Brit singles that I've owned). MotoTrans 250's are a real bargain at the moment, due to a large supply I suppose. I was in Spain in the early 1980's and there were 250 Ducatis everywhere, but I would prefer the extra torque of a 350.

BTW, I found out this week that DewCaty Bob (not sure about the spelling) and Matchen are both deceased; it's sad. Anyone who knew Bob will know how enthusiastic he was about Duc singles. We PM'ed a few times, and it shows how we are getting older.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
If I was in the UK I'd travel to Italy once things got serious enough I was about to hand over money. It'd be like me travelling from Adelaide to Melbourne or something, worth the drive to be 100% sure.

This is exactly right! it's not that far! i often drive bris to melb in one hit and then back a day later....

I would scope out a few that you like, fly to italy and hire a one way van, drive around until you settle on one and drive it back, return the van and you're done. Easily the best way to spend a week, you find your bike and get away from home for a while

·
Registered
561 Posts
BTW, I found out this week that DewCaty Bob (not sure about the spelling) and Matchen are both deceased; it's sad. Anyone who knew Bob will know how enthusiastic he was about Duc singles. We PM'ed a few times, and it shows how we are getting older.
Yes, Kev ( Machten ) died quite a while ago. Massive heart attack. He was definitely an enthusiast and very handy with the lens. He had a group in Perth that did many miles in Australia and overseas. Definitely a loss. Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I've just bought a 250 Mototrans - Strada with parallel twin running gear, hope I'm not going to regret it! I couldn't find any 350's and those that were for sale were either at stratospheric prices or heaps of junk. I suppose if it comes to it I can change or rebuild the engine to a 350.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers Rossco, I didn't pay a lot for it and it is not in bad condition. It was strange when the seller fired it up - I blipped the throttle and it felt like a real thumper; I've owned three singles but have not revved one for about thirty years.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Welcome to the club of Mototrans owners, Colin! See you over at Motoscrubs .... Jon Pegler is the guy to ask about the Mototrans bikes, btw.

Craig

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Craig, I do check in at Motoscrubs sometimes and l will be needing some info - I don't even know what valve clearances the Motorans bikes use. It looks like I will be needing a pair of clocks and I don't care what they are as long as they fit and are the right ratio, so hopefully someone can give me an idea (apparently Guzzi v50 Speedos work?).

·
Registered
450 Posts
Why not buy the Real Thing out of Spain, Colin? Tap in 'Relojes Ducati Strada' and up comes ...

You can even buy them NEW:

Otherwise, reckon Mr Pegler might have some ..

P.s I have pdfs of the owners book and the parts book, if you want?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts