Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is more of a barn find. The bike has less than 2k miles on it. And no service history.
It is 2010 MultiStrada Touring S. They are asking $7k for it. What should I look for. I am pricing in the following
  • Cambelts, all fluids (Engine, Brakes, Radiator, Fork), fork seals
  • Tires
Is there anything else I should look for? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Pics here!

·
Registered
59 Posts
If it has sat the entire time, ie 10 years...make sure the oil is not sludge before starting it up. I would dump the fluids and put in a new battery and check the electrical for corrosion. After about 1,000 miles if the oil looks dirty change it one more time. The gas in the tank is likely ruined....siphon it out and add new gas. Check the tank for swelling and you will also need new tires. The rubber will be too brittle after that many years and the tires are likely flat spotted...some of these items are repeats of yours. The bike looks really good

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's not a deal. You can find a 2014/2015 for around 8k. There is little benefit to buying a bike that's been sitting for a decade. Get a newer one. Don't worry about mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I respectfully disagree, I prefer the cranky character of the early bike...I would however be just a tad worried about the 2010 eroding head syndrome...with so few miles it had not had time to fail, if it was going to. But hey I am cheap if I got a great deal I would roll the dice on a bad cylinder head.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2010 models had a problem with coolant and heads. They had a recall campaign where they changed all the blue coolant with pink. I think the blue one was partly responsible for the damage to the heads. If it has been sitting in blue coolant for 10 years its probably too late.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I also vote negative on this. Sitting for too long and for the long service list you'll have to do to put it back on the road the asking price is VERY high.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my 2010 low mileage 1200s touring, with service history, almost two years ago, and have been thrilled with it.Run the VIN through your local Ducati dealer, and go from there. I do agree that price is too high for all you will have to do.Beat him down, buy it and enjoy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought my 2010 low mileage 1200s touring, with service history, almost two years ago, and have been thrilled with it.Run the VIN through your local Ducati dealer, and go from there. I do agree that price is too high for all you will have to do.Beat him down, buy it and enjoy.
Can the local duc dealer run vin, if you are not the owner?

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
Every bike purchase is a gamble.
Most bike purchases are by the gut feeling.
Anybody know of what percentage of the Multis got head errosion? My guess, very few???
The buy new every couple years like a phone generation, well that ain't me.
Roll the dice....or not.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don’t know if very few is accurate. There must have been quite a few. As the root cause was traced to the wrong type of coolant. This would indicate that each and every bike would have been impacted. But how badly probably depends on the time the coolant staid in and the number of miles used. Based on what I ve seen you are looking at 12 hours of labour and 300 to 400 euros of parts. So basically a 2000 euro gamble. And don’t forget about the other weaknesses, dash, hands free unit, collapsing radiator core, gear sensor, exhaust val e are some of the more common problems.
On the other hand, the ohlins esp when upgraded to semi active is superior if you are on the sporty side of the users. I ve got a 2010 and a 2020 GT. Completely different bikes. The 2010 is a sports bike. The 2020 a tourer.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
A touring "S" with the Ohlins package? I'd offer 6, and if I got it I'd run away laughing.

Reactions: t-bills

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
IF YOU SNOOZE YOU LOOSE!!!!
Better jump soon...
you can't ride a bank account$$$
I would rather go over budget than have the dreaded buyers remorse.
(I hate budgets and never stuck to one in my life)
Buy the best one out there and NEVER EVER LOOK at the receipt again.
Ifin you end up with buyers remorse that never goes away till you get rid of it...
take my advice I never use it.
Go big so you get a BIG PERMA SMILE...
In Canada you just sign your name a few times and you can get just about anything...
And if things go south it will be a great ride for a few months till they come looking for you...
No one ever buys a Ducati to save money....
You DESERVE a great bike.
No arguing to all the above..
now go jump in chin deep.

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
No pressure huh?
Hope you gets a good one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2010 standard 22k miles. The good: it’s 50 lbs lighter than current models, 160 hp vs 170 hp you will never notice the difference, lots of use parts, no head issues, up the rear gearing for a better sweet spot,, The bad, replaced 5 sensors under warranty, fuel gauge sometimes work, still having sensor issues so the pin code is needed to start it, key fab may or may not work, lots of wind issues at 6’2” rider,seat needs upgrading to be able to slide back some. looked to trade in and newer model was offered $4500.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts