Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone in North America tried to purchase a new Ducati through a local dealer but arranged to pick the bike up at the factory , ride around Europe then ship the bike home?

Reactions: 9finger

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Not exactly what you are looking for. But I did Order/Purchase a "North American" Spec Ducati from a dealer in Italy, where I picked it up, (in Italy). Not terribly difficult, but needed a special customs document. Cost about 85 Euro if I remember correctly, and took a few hours to organize. Waiting for the factory to get the bike built and ready US Spec really took some time. They were not very accurate with their estimates in my case.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
They were not very accurate with their estimates in my case.
Imagine that. And Italy of all places. (sarcasm) hahahaha

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Has anyone in North America tried to purchase a new Ducati through a local dealer but arranged to pick the bike up at the factory , ride around Europe then ship the bike home?
That's what (more or less) I tried to do when I bought my SL back when it was new (nearly 22 years ago now). Problem was that to register it (and insure), I needed to be resident in Italy - not Russia (where I was residing at the time). In the end, I used friends in the UK as a 'base' address, and bought my bike through a dealer there. Rego and insurance were then not a problem. Neither was the spec - UK and NZ are close enough to not worry about. 10 weeks and 10,000kms in Europe, followed by 3 weeks at the IOM TT and around the UK (another 5,000kms), and I shipped it out.

Good luck with it all - hope it does work out, as there are some awesome riding roads over there.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
Its not easy.. They dont have the same support for that kinda stuff like the car companies do.
Ducati probably wont help with anything other then delivery of US spec to you in Bologna and your going to have to fix shipping and also packing the bike up for shipping yourself.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a friend who did just this with his SAAB and he said it was awesome. It would be really cool if Ducati would do this but I bet it would take a lot of support and extra employees to make it work.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I did IDS (International Delivery Service) with a Saab back in 1987. Spent 2 weeks touring many countries, including a stop at the DUC factory in Bologna. All the pre-ordering and money was done here, and picked up the car in Amsterdam. 2 weeks later, dropped it off with the exporter in Amsterdam. It was great.

A friend had done a Volvo turbo wagon similarly in 1984. They had a great time, too.

The only minus with Saab, was the warranty was for only 1 year, vs. 3 if U bought the new car here in the states..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts