Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone replace all the engine and trans bearings without having to buy from Ducati? lets say NTN or SKF?
Im looking for the numbers to order them from other bearing companies,

·
Registered
831 Posts
Way to go IMO they just rebag the things put their numbers on it and multiply the price x4 or more.

That said not sure you will find a cross-reference for all the bearings, you may have to disassemble first to know the numbers. If you get a list together or find one please post it.

What bike is it for ?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Not really a answer to your question, but, my local mom&pop bearing shop was able to cross reference all the bearings that I ever brought in. Maybe you want to try this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
All the case bearings are standard cross referenced sizes....

The big crank bearings you need to get from Ducati specifically or RHP or whoever the manufacturer is.

SKF makes the same size and is cross referenced number, but the critical factor is the load angle is different on these side thrust bearings from the factory.

Originally I used the SKF, it was only a short time later I was splitting the cases again to replace the crank bearings with the factory ones instead. A conversation with the SKF technical department advised me they were working with Ducati race department and was well aware of the problem I created in using a replacement bearing.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Every name brand bearing will have a bearing part number either on the edge of a race or on the seal. It is usually etched and can be very tiny. This number can then be converted to whatever brand you prefer. The number will be similar but not exactly the same. If the bearing does not have a number on it, it is most likely a cheap bearing. You can still replace it with a name brand quality bearing by matching bearing type ( ball, tapered, roller) inner diameter, outer diameter, width, seal type, and clearance number( C- something) if there is no C number either separate or a suffix on the part number, then that means it is C3, standard clearance. This is universal.
If you take the bearings to any bearing house or industrial supply they have the knowledge to replace your bearings with quality parts, or you can order them online if you can measure them yourself.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Very strange that there was a difference that SKF was not aware of , things like load angle should have been included in the part number. It’s not often that a major bearing company isn’t aware of a situation like that. If they are not identical there should have been a suffix denoting a special dimension like a non-standard load angle.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the case bearings are standard cross referenced sizes....

The big crank bearings you need to get from Ducati specifically or JHP or whoever the manufacturer is.

SKF makes the same size and is cross referenced number, but the critical factor is the load angle is different on these side thrust bearings from the factory.

Originally I used the SKF, it was only a short time later I was splitting the cases again to replace the crank bearings with the factory ones instead. A conversation with the SKF technical department advised me they were working with Ducati race department and was well aware of the problem I created in using a replacement bearing.
I had heard the same thing, the mains from Ducati are 40 degrees with a side load bearing type b/s. Im not 100 % it is a learning curve,and im still reading anything i can get my hands on. I appreciate your and all the help im getting so far.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Very strange that there was a difference that SKF was not aware of , things like load angle should have been included in the part number. It’s not often that a major bearing company isn’t aware of a situation like that. If they are not identical there should have been a suffix denoting a special dimension like a non-standard load angle.

SKF did not designate load angle on the replacement bearing specifications. The correct required load angle for the Ducati bearing from RHP is 40 degrees. The standard load angle for the SKF bearing is 15 degrees.

This was only discussed and known from the actual telephone conversation with the technician at SKF who was working with the race team at Ducati for the GP program.

The 15 degree load angle bearing will in fact work, yet not for any extended period of time...((

·
Registered
718 Posts
From my experience the genuine bearings are worth the extra cost, it's always nice to live in a world where ideals translate into what should be but sadly, that's rarely the case. generally speaking you get what you pay for, and often times you don't save that much by going aftermarket.
Personally, i'll pay for genuine and have the peace of mind that the job is done right, and done once rather than riding around waiting for a cheap bearing to fail and dreading the mountain of work to replace it or save what the debris hasn't destroyed......
It's worth noting too that certain brands suffer from counterfeiting of their product so be careful what you buy and where you buy it from.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Counterfeit bearings are a real issue. The ones I have seen were obvious to me, but maybe not to everyone. The boxes aren’t printed as well, the color is off, and the bearing does not have the part number etched into the race, nor the brand name.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Way to go IMO they just rebag the things put their numbers on it and multiply the price x4 or more.

That said not sure you will find a cross-reference for all the bearings, you may have to disassemble first to know the numbers. If you get a list together or find one please post it.

What bike is it for ?
So if I buy a reading from Ducati, would it say SKF on it?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lets start off with this bearing first as it was the easiest to find. Ducati 748 1998

TIMING LAYSHAFT LEFT SIDE (751102054) SKF EXPLORER 6004/CJ ...F
replacement bearing info below, this bearing is $13.49 cdn,and $16.91 usd. And its made by NTN.
  • Type: Single row deep groove ball bearings
  • SKU: 6004Bearing
  • Inner Ring Diameter (bore): 20mm
  • Inner Ring Tolerance: 0~-12?���m
  • Outer Ring Diameter: 42mm
  • Outer Ring Tolerance: 0~-13?���m
  • Width: 12mm
  • Clearance: 1~11?���m
  • Basic Dynamic Load Rating Cr: 9.95 kN
  • Basic Static Load Rating Cor: 5 kN
  • Grease Lubrication: 18,000 RPM
  • Oil Lubrication: 21,000 RPM
  • Brand: VXB
  • Oil Lube
  • Equal 6004
  • Equal Koyo 6004
  • Equal Nachi 6004
  • Equal BCA 104
  • Equal Fafnir Torrington 9104K
  • Equal Federal 9104
  • Equal Hoover 104
  • Equal NTN 6004
  • Equal MRC 104KS
  • Equal Norma Hoffman 6104
  • Equal New Departure 3L04
  • Equal FAG 6004
  • Equal NSK 6004

·
Registered
46 Posts
Buy the OEM mains. Buy the 'R' mains and bushings if they are available for 748. I know they are for 999 on

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had a quick look at the parts diagrams - looks like the 748 all use the same main bearing - including the R. But yes, still order the OEM main bearings

1 - 19 of 19 Posts