Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, not sure if it is the right section and apologize if it is not. I am considering to buy an 848 and I know I am going to keep it so being salvage is not really a deal breaker for me. I found a few auctions for the salvage ones and my question is how hard is it to register it? Never registered a salvaged anything. The bikes I found have been very slightly lowsided but have been totaled, so easy fix. I am in NYC by the way. Thank you very much :D:D:D

P.S. If anybody has one, feel free to contact me to discuss the options.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The title will say salvaged. You take it to DMV and register. Nothing special about the process.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
317 Posts
Here in california u need to pass a brake and lamp inspection. They will check all brakes and lamps to make sure they are in the original located and fublctioning. Then dmv will inspect the stickers to make sure its all there. Its a little eztra work but nothing too bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Re-titling and registering a salvage vehicle varies from state to state. Unless someone from NY on this forum is in the know, you are better off calling your Dept. of Motor Vehicles. Most states' DMV have websites with FAQ's, and I would be highly surprised if NY didn't cover registering salvage vehicles in that manner, as well.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Definitely check with your state's MVA. I know for instance MD you must get the safety inspection as with any vehicle, but salvaged vehicles must go to the MVA inspection station and be inspected. This includes checking all receipts for parts used in the rebuild. They want to make sure you haven't bought a salvage vehicle to swap stolen bike parts onto.

Different states have different processes, worth googling NY MVA to find out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ny

NY is closer to MD- you need receipts, no ebay stuff- so cost goes way up- did this with a 600rr years ago, went the ebay route, and then did my homework- spent $$$$ I shouldn't have.

·
Registered
426 Posts
NY is closer to MD- you need receipts, no ebay stuff- so cost goes way up- did this with a 600rr years ago, went the ebay route, and then did my homework- spent $$$$ I shouldn't have.
I have not done this, so it's simply a question to ask your states MVA and think about.

Things that MUST be repaired and MAY be repaired might be a way to save some money. For instance, any safety stuff, brakes, lights, obligatory mirrors, etc will all be required for a rebuild to pass safety inspection, so these items must have receipts to prove they were not sourced form a stolen vehicle.

Off the top of my head, I would say you could argue that bodywork is NOT safety, and rebuild the salvaged 848 in a naked state, have all factory mirrors, lights, etc and receipts, then get it inspected and registered. Then after you get a plate go get cosmetic stuff like bodywork for cheap off ebay.

Like I said, your mileage may vary depending on local MVA rules, but If you want to get a rebuild title and it's doable, I would focus on only those parts required by law for the safety inspection. And get other cosmetic parts after a rebuilt title has been issued.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the advices. Now my question is if I am looking at a 10 848 with clean title and 7.5k miles and 11 848 evo with 1.5k miles but salvaged, first for 8 second for 7, is it worth going with evo over non but salvage?

·
Registered
303 Posts
to me, that's still pricey for a salvaged vehicle as their value drops dramatically. If you were to buy the salvage for 7K, then purchase all the components needed to pass inspection plus labor it really doesn't seem like much of a bargain or worth the effort. There are 848's regularly going for $9K in non salvage form.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I saw that listing for the white EVO. I think it's over priced. That guy is selling a nice MV though. You can get an 848 with a clear title for just a little more. I would stay away from that NJ dealer. It's got suspect written all over it.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
If it has not been fixed you will need proof of purchased for all of the parts. It will need to be inspected by the local police dept or DOT.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can I buy the parts, fairings lets say, on the forum? Show them a bill of sale then or what would that be in this case?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Also keep in mind, the value of a salvaged vehicle is roughly 50% of a clear title vehicle. They are harder to sell, which means if you go salvaged, you should be able to negotiate down a lot on the price.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Buying parts on ebay or the forum doesn't cut it. It has to be from the dealer or local retailer that has a store front.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts