Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I searched on this forum and yes there is many threads about touring with Hypermotard and about windscreens. But i still decided to start a new one and ask you're opinion.

I'm pretty close of buying a 2009 Hypermotard 1100, 15000 km on it. I mostly ride outside motorways, but I'd like to do some longer distances as well. Few questions:

- what would be the best windscreen for Hypermotard, best in taking the wind of (I'm 184 cm tall) my chest, looks, easy mountain (I quess I'd like to to take it off when I'm not touring)
- I'd like to order it from Europe, any ideas for a webstore?
- Have you guys done riding off-road (sand roads) with Hypermotard. What do you think about that?

Any opinions or comments about the bike are welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am about the same height (6ft 1 in) and I have the Ducati after-market screen. It is good, but not great. I would recommend a Fabri screen because it is a little taller and has a slight lip to deflect the wind.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got my Puig screen from BS Motoparts Racingscheibe, Bugspoiler, Hinterradabdeckung, Sturzpad, Montageständer, Puig, MRA, Tuning, Motorradzubehör,
And Fabbri from Carpimoto CarpiMoto - Fabbri Headlight Fairing Screen for Ducati Hypermotard - Ducati Hypermotard 1100
I had some issues with installing the Fabbri screen but they sent me a new one that fit perfectly. Can't really say if there is any difference between them (other than looks).

"Off-roading" is just scary, atleast with the original Pirelli Diablo Rosso tires. Better stay on paved roads. I've been thinking of buying a set of Pirelli Scorpion trails. Don't know if they work any better on dirt roads.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm 6'1" and after a long trip to the Dragon, I've concluded that the DP windscreen only works up to my chest. The area around the "Ducati" logo on my 80's jacket was full of bug splatters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been riding with this screen for about 1000 miles. It brings the air flow up around your shoulders and head. And as long as you don't look at the sky. You'll never notice the wind around your helmet. I have no complaints, I wanted to stay with the carbon theme on my bike and I can't contort my body for a transparent screen to be useful. And I've read reviews on the fabbri screen inc it seemed they are prone yo cracking.

http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/017dh/Hypermotard/017dh.html

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Fabbri seems to have the best shape for overall protection with the lip and all. The puig is the only one to feature braces and that is a big plus. The dp part is the flimsiest and offers the least wind protection although I liked it the best because it was the smallest and I don't tour on the hyper. I will most likely take a fabbri and cut it down some and add braces like others have done. As for sand, good luck (and get an engine guard)!

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=1343

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
From Europe, order the carbon windshield from www.carbonworld.de it's the one I have and it's built extremely well and doesn't flex in the wind at all, unlike the fabbri. So, it may not be as large or tall but it deflects well because of the stiffness. We're about the same height and it will take the blast off your chest. I have toured with it as well. It's still never going to be like a touring specific bike but it'll do.

Oh yeah, I also own the fabbri screen and the magical racing screen too, so you know I've tried them but the one that I keep on is the one I mentioned above.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know it isn't the prettiest, but it works great for longer trips. I can have the shield and trunk off in less than 2 minutes. You need the 1 1/4" bar clamps with the plastic spacer.

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
I know it isn't the prettiest, but it works great for longer trips. I can have the shield and trunk off in less than 2 minutes. You need the 1 1/4" bar clamps with the plastic spacer.
where did you get that screen northsouth it looks like it is a great job

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hyper windshield

Like your touring shield. Who makes it, model number etc?

Really interested in buying one!

thanks.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's made by Memphis Shades. The model is Demon. It comes in clear (mine) solar which is tinted and a gradiated version which looks weird in my opinion. I got the clear one because it disappears more than the other 2. The cutout for the headlight was round and looked strange so I cut it to the shape you see. It works great and does not move even on verry bumpy terrain. They make 2 versions: 2 point mount and 4 point. You want the 2 point. If you dremmel the cut with the sander attachment it matches the factory edge finish perfectly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Memphis Shades Demon

Looks really good, you did a great job modifying the headlight cutout.

I will fit it into my budget for this fall.

Thanks for the post, photos and reply.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
i realize to each his own but i almost hurled when i saw this. functional perhaps.... sorry. but i guess when you get off after a long ride you're spanking clean while all the bugs would be on my body and helmet. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
i realize to each his own but i almost hurled when i saw this. functional perhaps.... sorry. but i guess when you get off after a long ride you're spanking clean while all the bugs would be on my body and helmet. :D

Never said it was pretty but it does do a great job. Plus it comes off by loosening 2 bolts in less than a minute for normal day to day riding.:p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just bought a Fabbri from PJ's

Just picked up my Fabbri dark smoke form PJ's parts. I'll be going to Lake George, NY next week and plan to put over 500 mostly highway miles on it. Will report on that later.

Installation was very easy. 4 screws. Fits very nicely and looks very stock. Took it out on the highway this weekend to test it and it seems to redirect the wind upward towards the helmet which isnt a bad thing since the helmet is way more aerodynamic than your chest. Hope this helps. Stay tuned for the long ride report.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your answers so far. I hope this information helps others too. If everything goes to plan, I'm going to pick up my new bike tomorrow. Then I will buy a windscreen to it for longer rides.

So Dan, please share your info!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've had the Fabbri for quite a while and used it for my trip to Alaska last summer. It's nice and it helps. Don't kid yourself though, it's not gonna hold a candle to that Memphis Shades shield. If the Memphis Shades shield is 99% functionality and 1% aesthetics, the Fabbri is 80% aesthetics and 20% functionality.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I just threw up in my mouth! :D

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

Seems like someone bought the wrong bike. The hyper wasn't made for comfort, that's what a multistrada is for

1 - 20 of 41 Posts