Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger on a 2019 Hypermotard 950 SP and have been browsing this section for a while. I am getting a bit nervous reading the stories of the stalling issue and haven’t been able to find a good answer if this is wide spread and if it has been resolved yet. Any advice for a potential buyer? 😬

·
Registered
632 Posts
How many miles on the bike?

Did the owner ever have the throttle bodies and injectors cleaned?

Was the first service done at the dealer?

Any history of stalling issues? Perhaps you could request the owner put that attestation in writing since the issue would otherwise be a deal breaker..

Extended warranty available?

You are correct to be worried. If the issue exists on that bike, would not be worth buying.

My 2019 is running perfectly but I had the throttle bodies and injectors cleaned, and since then always keep the tank full between rides, and add fuel treatment to deal with the effects of ethanol to every tank fill up.

I would be confident selling my bike that the buyer is protected.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would be very cautious. I did all of the same stuff @Pard did (TB's and injectors cleaned, always kept tank full with fuel treatment), and yet mine returned in less than one year. If a 19 is for sale, I would be concerned that the reason the person moved on from the bike was related to the stalling issue. I say this because it is a spectacular bike otherwise. I would have kept mine if not for this issue.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles on the bike?

Did the owner ever have the throttle bodies and injectors cleaned?

Was the first service done at the dealer?

Any history of stalling issues? Perhaps you could request the owner put that attestation in writing since the issue would otherwise be a deal breaker..

Extended warranty available?

You are correct to be worried. If the issue exists on that bike, would not be worth buying.

My 2019 is running perfectly but I had the throttle bodies and injectors cleaned, and since then always keep the tank full between rides, and add fuel treatment to deal with the effects of ethanol to every tank fill up.

I would be confident selling my bike that the buyer is protected.
There are 700ish miles on the bike.

They have not been cleaned. Just an oil change so far.

First oil change was done at the dealer at 400 miles he said.

He said no stalling problems, has run fine.

So are some users not experiencing it then? Not really excited about the idea of putting additive in the tank all the time...

·
Registered
632 Posts
with 700 miles... basically a new bike, so you will be taking a gamble on the stalling issue. A model with some more mileage which is usually less desirable may be a better risk in this case, so you can have some confidence.

Tough call.

Based on the source of the issue which seems to be confirmed as breakdown of tank coating, it is hard to imagine that it does not affect all bikes with this tank.

If the substance is diluted with full tanks and frequent riding, you would expect less symptoms.

Bikes that sit more would be expected to have more symptoms.

Speculation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought a 2020 from a user here on the forums. He had the tank replaced and throttle bodies cleaned about 400 miles ago. The first ride I took on the bike, it stalled on me.

Though it's annoying, I am going to bring it up to my local dealership and possibly see if they want to replace the tank again. Luckily, the bank still has a warranty.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Were the 2021s affected by this? Trying to decide if I should avoid the bike all together, roll the dice on the 2019, or go with a different year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had the issue with my 2021 so I believe it has not actually been resolved but while under warranty they will replace the fuel tank and clean the throttle bodies which fixes it for a while

·
Registered
632 Posts
Pard, would you recommend something like this: https://www.amsoil.com/p/quickshot--aqs/
I am not an expert on fuel additives. I can only report my experience. Check out the information in this thread Been testing Oil

--------------------------------------------------------------

"you guys know I test constantly and oil/tribology is my thing so here goes. I know the gasoline today is shit. Very dry and poor quality. Throw in ethanol and you got crap/corrosive gasoline. I use Fuel Power/Lucas UCL with great success in my cars and other peoples cars. At the first of the year some of us "lubrication physcho's" (mainly from the aircraft industry) discussed the shit quality of gasoline and the absolute advantages of running a fuel additive with lubrication capabilities and I think the testing is now complete and the results are very good. Biggest problem we had was the proper amount but we are now satisfied this works very well and you will have a smoother running engine/more power/better MPG....so here it is.....
What we are trying to accomplish ( The deliverables)
We need to lubricate the fuel pump/seals/injectors.
We need to clean the fuel system and scavenge water that ethanol attracts.
We need a film of protection in our fuel system to stop corrosion.
We need a cleaner for our spark plugs/valves/combustion chambers.
We need to clean the ring packs
We need to leave a film on the cylinder walls to eliminate cold start metal wear.
This was my groups short list of deliverables. Of course we knew if we accomplished this list the car should A) Run Smoother B) Run more efficiently C) Parts will last longer i.e. fuel pumps/injectors etc. D) We should see more RWHP and MPG
We did it. For pennies.
2 Stroke oil. Not just any two stroke oil But we needed the detergents etc. and found the perfect oil/add packs/viscosity in a marine 2 stroke oil you can get for under $10 bucks a gallon anywhere. We used Pennzoil Marine 2 stroke for our testing. Here is the "blurb" from Pennzoil.....
"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Lot of knowledge and experience collected there. The 2 stroke marine oil with TC-W3 is much milder for long term use than the amsoil product you linked to. That product is more of a one time cleaning option. I know it says it can be used all the time but it is exponentially more expensive than simple marine 2 stroke oil.

I have had no problems since I started adding 1 ounce of marine 2 stroke oil with TC-w3 (key ingredient)to every tankful of gas 4-5 gallons.

After filling the tank after every ride, I add the oil. If I add 2 gallons of gas to top it off, I add 1/2 ounce oil. etc.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
If you have it available run Non-Ethanol fuel, here if Florida we can find it -every station does not carry it but it is around, another option is small airports they have 100 octane LL --yes it has a small amount of lead in it but it is also non-ethanol. --another place to find it is at a Marina --they have non-ethanol.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I am not an expert on fuel additives. I can only report my experience. Check out the information in this thread Been testing Oil

--------------------------------------------------------------

"you guys know I test constantly and oil/tribology is my thing so here goes. I know the gasoline today is shit. Very dry and poor quality. Throw in ethanol and you got crap/corrosive gasoline. I use Fuel Power/Lucas UCL with great success in my cars and other peoples cars. At the first of the year some of us "lubrication physcho's" (mainly from the aircraft industry) discussed the shit quality of gasoline and the absolute advantages of running a fuel additive with lubrication capabilities and I think the testing is now complete and the results are very good. Biggest problem we had was the proper amount but we are now satisfied this works very well and you will have a smoother running engine/more power/better MPG....so here it is.....
What we are trying to accomplish ( The deliverables)
We need to lubricate the fuel pump/seals/injectors.
We need to clean the fuel system and scavenge water that ethanol attracts.
We need a film of protection in our fuel system to stop corrosion.
We need a cleaner for our spark plugs/valves/combustion chambers.
We need to clean the ring packs
We need to leave a film on the cylinder walls to eliminate cold start metal wear.
This was my groups short list of deliverables. Of course we knew if we accomplished this list the car should A) Run Smoother B) Run more efficiently C) Parts will last longer i.e. fuel pumps/injectors etc. D) We should see more RWHP and MPG
We did it. For pennies.
2 Stroke oil. Not just any two stroke oil But we needed the detergents etc. and found the perfect oil/add packs/viscosity in a marine 2 stroke oil you can get for under $10 bucks a gallon anywhere. We used Pennzoil Marine 2 stroke for our testing. Here is the "blurb" from Pennzoil.....
"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Lot of knowledge and experience collected there. The 2 stroke marine oil with TC-W3 is much milder for long term use than the amsoil product you linked to. That product is more of a one time cleaning option. I know it says it can be used all the time but it is exponentially more expensive than simple marine 2 stroke oil.

I have had no problems since I started adding 1 ounce of marine 2 stroke oil with TC-w3 (key ingredient)to every tankful of gas 4-5 gallons.

After filling the tank after every ride, I add the oil. If I add 2 gallons of gas to top it off, I add 1/2 ounce oil. etc.
I am looking to add a fuel additive, but I am unclear of what to use. The above Been Testing Oil thread is talking about using 2 stroke marine oil as a additive to our motorcycle gas tanks?

I have used Berryman B 12, Trevor Dunne uses this product, the new owner of Santa Barbara Ducati said to use K100 G+. I guess it is like making recommendations on which oil and filter to use on a motorcycle.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
632 Posts
I am looking to add a fuel additive, but I am unclear of what to use. The above Been Testing Oil thread is talking about using 2 stroke marine oil as a additive to our motorcycle gas tanks?

I have used Berryman B 12, Trevor Dunne uses this product, the new owner of Santa Barbara Ducati said to use K100 G+. I guess it is like making recommendations on which oil and filter to use on a motorcycle.
Read through that thread. Fascinating stuff. I have a combined 30K miles on 3 different bikes running the 500:1 ratio 2 stroke marine oil with TC-W3 and it works for me. I tore down one engine to rebuild the top end and the piston, rings, head and valves were significantly cleaner than the same components previously rebuilt without the mix. Anecdotal, but I am convinced.

More importantly. My 2019 Hyper SP is approaching 18K miles with no stalling since the cleaning and switching to the mix early one around the time of the first service. I believe keeping the tank full when sitting between rides is also helpful.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Read through that thread. Fascinating stuff. I have a combined 30K miles on 3 different bikes running the 500:1 ratio 2 stroke marine oil with TC-W3 and it works for me. I tore down one engine to rebuild the top end and the piston, rings, head and valves were significantly cleaner than the same components previously rebuilt without the mix. Anecdotal, but I am convinced.

More importantly. My Hypermotard 2019 Hyper SP is approaching 18K miles with no stalling since the cleaning and switching to the mix.
I read thru the thread & I thought I misread the whole thing...

500:1 ratio is 1/4 ounce per gallon of gas, correct? Is the Pennzoil 2 stroke marine oil easy to find?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I read thru the thread & I thought I misread the whole thing...

500:1 ratio is 1/4 ounce per gallon of gas, correct? Is the Pennzoil 2 stroke marine oil easy to find?
128 ounces are in gallon.

5 gallons of gas to one ounce of oil is 640:1 ratio.
4 gallons to one ounce is 512:1

Anywhere in that range is fine.

I use the 500:1 ratio so yes, you are correct. 1/4 ounce per 1 gallon gas.

Very easy to find.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Take note.

Disclosure of this fuel additive may not be welcome news to your dealer or Ducati corp.

Buyer beware.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Take note.

Disclosure of this fuel additive may not be welcome news to your dealer or Ducati corp.

Buyer beware.
It is interesting that using
128 ounces are in gallon.

5 gallons of gas to one ounce of oil is 640:1 ratio.
4 gallons to one ounce is 512:1

Anywhere in that range is fine.

I use the 500:1 ratio so yes, you are correct. 1/4 ounce per 1 gallon gas.

Very easy to find.

So this is just like the oil I added to my oil injection system for my old 1977 RD 400? Instead I used YamaLube and put it into the the reservoir which was pumped into the carbs?

·
Registered
632 Posts
It is interesting that using

So this is just like the oil I added to my oil injection system for my old 1977 RD 400? Instead I used YamaLube and put it into the the reservoir which was pumped into the carbs?
The major difference is that our Hypers are 4 stroke, not two stroke, and instead of 40:1 gas to oil mix of the 2 stroke, the suggestion is 500:1 just in order to add some lubrication and cleaning agents to the bad ethanol gas. It must be TCW3 oil.

2 stroke engines get ALL lubrication from the oil in the gas.

The goal here is to negate the effects of bad gas messing up our tanks. No engine lubrication from the 500:1

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm in the same position as OP. Looking to get a 950SP, prefer used, but not interested in this tank issue. Does anyone know if Ducati has addressed the issue for 22?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts