Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
am thinking of buying a 996 with 18k on it, full service history and looks like its been well looked after. Would this be too many miles for a bike like this. i am doubting weather to buy it for this reason

cheers
wozza

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I think it depends on how well it's been cared for, (and a certain amount of luck), my 916 has done 20k and has been mainly trouble free with no serious issues, many have suffered flaking rockers even on low mileage bikes but mine has been fine.

You should be able to use the mileage as a price lowering point but be prepared for expensive maintenance if you want to keep it nice. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a 748 with 16K on it. The motors are failry reliable except for the rockers and valves. Get a price quote on a full replacement, then make your offer on the bike based on that price

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Why such a big concern when you have any miles on a Ducati? If it was a Japanese bike, no big deal. I know, I know, but I think its a case of discrimination based on the fact most Ducati owners don't ride their bikes much, as soon as someone puts on decent and normal miles, its a problem. 18K miles on a Japanese bike or Beemer is considered "just broken in". Expectations are different. I think by 18K things have been sorted out. If any of the gremlins were present, by 18K they would have raised their ugly, groteque heads and you would know.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Monster231 said:
I just bought a 748 with 16K on it. The motors are failry reliable except for the rockers and valves. Get a price quote on a full replacement, then make your offer on the bike based on that price
Ditto. Mine had about 16.5K on when I bought it. Aside from some issues that I'm pretty sure were self-inflicted...no troubles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts