Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a bike that needs to be shipped to me. What safeguard do I use, to make sure I get the bike I pay for? I'm a nervous wreck about this !!!
Any & all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
635 Posts
Plan ahead of time. A plane ticket to anywhere in the states can be had cheap bought ahead of time. If it is good enough that you think of buying it with out seeing it it should be worth flying out seeing it buy it and ship it your self. I've done it with cars and bikes. Usually set it up so even if I don't buy it I can do something I enjoy for the weekend! Little sight seeing maybe!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Plan ahead of time. A plane ticket to anywhere in the states can be had cheap bought ahead of time. If it is good enough that you think of buying it with out seeing it it should be worth flying out seeing it buy it and ship it your self. I've done it with cars and bikes. Usually set it up so even if I don't buy it I can do something I enjoy for the weekend! Little sight seeing maybe!
Listen to this man. Good advice. I wouldn't do it any other way. Unless, of course, I had a good friend who knew the bike and lived there.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Pay with an American Express card (or any other card you have a good standing with) via PayPal if you can. This way if it's a bunk deal you can charge it back, and make the seller come get it if he or she wants.

If they won't accept that, I agree with a63buggy, fly there and check it out first hand. Pics or SO deceiving!

·
Registered
51 Posts
don't do it unless you see it in person and meet the seller. there are so many bikes around, it might be worth the wait in order to find something close to you.

·
Demotivational Member
1,603 Posts
I agree with everyone. Send the seller a deposit, maybe $500 or $1000 and tell them you will complete the deal when you come to inspect the bike. I have bought three vehicles this way and it was all good. You get to take a little mini vacation and buy a new to you bike at the same time. This way there are no surprises, and you won't be a nervous wreck.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think that after a while, you can tell if a seller is legitimately describing the product at hand.

I feel comfortable buying without seeing. If the seller is someone out of the blue, then get a member of this board to check it out for you.

Know your product. Know what you are buying. Know what potential problems exists and ask them about those problems directly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've bought my last (3) bikes long distance, mainly because if you know exactly what you want, and are particular, often you cannot find it near home.

However, if you cannot check it out yourself, I personally feel having a local un-biased party look at it for you, then ship it home.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I think that after a while, you can tell if a seller is legitimately describing the product at hand.

I feel comfortable buying without seeing. If the seller is someone out of the blue, then get a member of this board to check it out for you.

Know your product. Know what you are buying. Know what potential problems exists and ask them about those problems directly.
I agree here. Mainly I guess because that's how I sold my 999 to a member here on the forum. We communicated via phone, email, PM endlessly to ensure full understanding on both ends. A week worth of good communication, including pictures, full disclosure sealed the deal. He sent me the funds (certified check) and arranged shipping. I coordinated shipping on my end and also emailed him a PDF of the shipping documents along with pictures of it being loaded onto his carrier of choice. Worked out well. Why? Steady communication. We each knew everything about reaching the other guy too. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I bought my 996s from over 800 miles away from home. Condition, mileage, etc. made it worth it for me.

Seller had great pics, but I bought a R/T ticket and rented a U-Haul truck to bring it home with. Flew out, bike was stellar, and took it home that day. Had the return ticket for the same day in case of a dud, but no need :)

I am sure the shipping thing is safe, but I am too methodical and picky to do that myself. My limit was within 1000 miles of 33410.

(body panels in back of truck)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts