Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am still developing my Ducati-fu when it comes to matching up fiches and parts numbers on my HM, so excuse me if this is a dumbish question.

I am looking at a damaged Termi 2-1 system that has a pretty beat up crossover pipe. Shown below.

So I have a couple linked questions:

1) Firstly, this is listed as being for a 2008-2009 model, while I have a 2010 EVO model. Should there be any fitment issues here? I think I have read elsewhere that there is an issue with the O2 sensor but you normally delete these when installing an upgraded system/ECU, correct?

2) This is the link pipe from the horizontal cylinder to the collector/cat delete. Does this part actually vary from my OEM part in terms of fitment or diameter, or might I be able to re-use my existing pipe in this part of the system?

3) If no to the above, should I just ride it and not worry about it? Maybe it is impairing exhaust flow by a couple percentage points, but if I am not concerned about aesthetics I could just deal, and look into getting it repaired by a local exhaust shop.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,215 Posts
So I am still developing my Ducati-fu when it comes to matching up fiches and parts numbers on my HM, so excuse me if this is a dumbish question.

I am looking at a damaged Termi 2-1 system that has a pretty beat up crossover pipe. Shown below.

3) If no to the above, should I just ride it and not worry about it? Maybe it is impairing exhaust flow by a couple percentage points, but if I am not concerned about aesthetics I could just deal, and look into getting it repaired by a local exhaust shop.
that looks really badly damaged lol
I also think that it looks badly damaged.

You will lose a lot more than a couple percentage points.
IMHO that kind of exhaust damage will create significant backpressure.

·
Registered
611 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Very interesting, maybe I'll just roll with it and be happy about getting a good deal.

So does anybody know about getting Termi and OEM parts to fit up together?
If it was mine, and I was not worried about how it looked, I´d weld on some studs (or drill a few holes & use a self tapper) & pull out the dents as best as I could with a slide hammer, grind off (or weld up holes) and ride off giggling into the sunset...

·
Registered
2008 HyperMotard 1100S
706 Posts
Do you know anyone who rides dirt bikes or motocross? Ask around for who they recommend for exhaust repair. You would be amazed at some of the stuff they can fix...

·
Registered
663 Posts
So does anybody know about getting Termi and OEM parts to fit up together?
I've never tried but I'd be surprised if they fit. I'm 90% sure the headers are a different diameter, the fitting points are all different, and the OEM front header turns in a different direction to the Termi (the OEM turns inwards because the stock collector has to go into the cat whereas the Termi one can just go straight up to the muffler).

To see what I mean, this is a pic of the stock cat/collector and a Leo Vince cat delete (for use with the stock headers):

On both of those, the stock front header has to turn inwards to mate with the curved inlet into the collector. The Termi collector has both inlets more or less straight, so the Termi front header only has to turn slightly upwards.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Strictly speaking as a layman, I think that the steel has been stressed/fatigued and might have microscopic stress cracks where the damage is.

That might cause it to fail sooner rather than later. I wouldn't waste the time and effort to install that on my bike.

It's scrap IMO.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, thanks for the input guys.

Follow up question: This is a Termi 2-1 system complete with ECU, and I was under the impression that this setup eliminated the sensors in the exhaust. However, from the photo you can see there is a bung and sensor installed on the header. What am I missing here?

·
Tightly Clenched...
962 Posts
I have the exact same full system on my Hyper, I'd buy it and take it to an exhaust shop and ask what they can do with the damaged section. They're rare as hen's teeth and I was lucky to find a system for AUD$800, that was after a loooong time searching, especially to find one with the accompanying ECU. I do remember pulling bungs from the standard headers to put into one of the Termi ones but I'm pretty sure it still had the O2 sensors. The bike is about 3000km away so I can't pop out and look but I remember fiddling with them and if you zoom in to the footpeg area on this pic you can maybe make out the sensor for the front downpipe.

Progressing... by satansfist, on Flickr

·
Registered
178 Posts
What is your goal with buying this used system? Saving cash, if so how much are you buying it for? Or do you just want a single exhaust setup?

I'd buy a new system, no fuss with dealing with bent/damaged pipes.

Additionally, the Ducati Performance ECU that comes with the Termi kit is mediocre at best. You're better off getting a Rexxer tune or PowerCommander, the bike will run much better on either of those.

Mivv Slip on
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXHAUST-MIVV-D-022-L7-DUCATI-HYPERMOTARD-1100-EVO-2010-2012/173233994225?epid=1734226863&hash=item28558cf9f1%3Ag%3ATwoAAOSwuHZatgke&_sacat=0&_nkw=hypermotard+1100+exhaust&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xhypermotard+1100+exhaust.TRS0.TSS0

Mivv Header
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXHAUST-MIVV-D-022-C2-DUCATI-HYPERMOTARD-1100-EVO-2010-2012/183144497227?epid=1041862659&hash=item2aa443404b%3Ag%3A01IAAOSwUBpatgkm&_sacat=0&_nkw=hypermotard+1100+exhaust&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xhypermotard+1100+exhaust.TRS0.TSS0

Zard Full
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zard-2-1-High-Singl-approved-Full-Exhaust-System-Ducati-Hypermotard-1100-Evo-11/142547896128?epid=5007754877&hash=item2130844740%3Ag%3AsAEAAOSw0UBZ7che&_sacat=0&_nkw=hypermotard+1100+exhaust&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xhypermotard+1100+exhaust.TRS0.TSS0

Arrow Full
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARROW-KIT-2-EXHAUST-THUNDER-TITANIUM-C-DUCATI-HYPERMOTARD-1100-07-12/162932756267?epid=1465812688&hash=item25ef8c8f2b%3Ag%3AHwEAAOSwTbdantiN&_sacat=0&_nkw=hypermotard+1100+exhaust&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xhypermotard+1100+exhaust.TRS0.TSS0

New Termi
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TERMIGNONI-COMPLETE-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-CARBON-DUCATI-HYPERMOTARD-1100-MR-031CR/173361031640?epid=28020314120&hash=item285d1f69d8%3Ag%3AFMMAAOSwQQBbHqXi&_sacat=0&_nkw=hypermotard+1100+exhaust&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xhypermotard+1100+exhaust.TRS0.TSS0

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe this is the one he has been asking about.
Indeed, and I did not move fast enough, I was not the winning bidder.

What is your goal with buying this used system? Saving cash, if so how much are you buying it for? Or do you just want a single exhaust setup?

I'd buy a new system, no fuss with dealing with bent/damaged pipes.

Additionally, the Ducati Performance ECU that comes with the Termi kit is mediocre at best. You're better off getting a Rexxer tune or PowerCommander, the bike will run much better on either of those.
The goal is performance, via HP and weight. As you can see above, it was a full system with ECU for about $600 shipped, which means a savings of $800-$1000. That's about 100 tanks of gas on a HM!

My thinking is that there are tons of people out there buying premium grade aftermarket parts and then eating it on depreciation, for a variety of reasons (getting out of motos, crashing, parting bikes out, etc). I have been able to cobble together some pretty decent setups this way, and the hassle is often not nearly so much as it might seem on the face of it. Even if I had spent as much on fixing the pipe as I did on buying it, the price would have been good.

Thanks for the input on the ECU, I'm thinking whatever I end up with I will just get a dyno tune and flash locally since there are tons of options in my area. Two of the premier Ducati shops on the west coast are within a couple miles of my house.

Anyway, thanks to everybody for their input, I'll keep trolling ebay and keep asking questions. Regards!

·
Registered
178 Posts
The goal is performance, via HP and weight. As you can see above, it was a full system with ECU for about $600 shipped, which means a savings of $800-$1000. That's about 100 tanks of gas on a HM!

My thinking is that there are tons of people out there buying premium grade aftermarket parts and then eating it on depreciation, for a variety of reasons (getting out of motos, crashing, parting bikes out, etc). I have been able to cobble together some pretty decent setups this way, and the hassle is often not nearly so much as it might seem on the face of it. Even if I had spent as much on fixing the pipe as I did on buying it, the price would have been good.

Thanks for the input on the ECU, I'm thinking whatever I end up with I will just get a dyno tune and flash locally since there are tons of options in my area. Two of the premier Ducati shops on the west coast are within a couple miles of my house.
Getting a good deal is fine but don't let $600-1000 or hours and hours of your personal time stop you from enjoying the bike how it should have come from the factory. Any system that ditches the cat and the heavy factory mufflers will work fine if you're not set on a certain appearance or brand.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool, good info. I am new to fuel injection so still trying to wrap my head around some of the vagaries. Again thanks to everybody here for the input.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts