Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking at a 98 ST2 at $6k for 4800 miles. I own a Duc 916 and would like to know, what kind of difference i can expect by riding the 2 valve. Any suggestion on what I should look for when I go inspect the vehicle. all suggestions are welcome

Thanks
The DUCTOR

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey Ductor - what an excellent choice in bikes you have ;)

I've heard that the 98 models had a lot of teething troubles, especially in relation to the wiring. Sorry I can't give you specifics, so you can count this as hearsay.

You should check to see if the bike has had its 6,000 mile service, and if not, see if you can factor it into the deal because, at the very least, your belts should be swapped out as they're now 8 years old.

You probably won't like the headlight or the seat - I swapped mine (02 model) out for a Ducati Design unit and a Corbin seat. The Corbin is pretty hard but an improvement over stock (too soft).

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
With that low of a mileage, I doubt any of the '98s issues have been cured. Buying that bike, I'd expect to have rectifier/stator problems, clutch slave problems, and possibly a fogged up headlight. You'll also have to be concerned about cracked mirror stalks, and......after many miles, you may wind up with a cracked engine case if the engine mounting bolts have not been replaced with a set of Nichol's mounting bolts. If not already done, to get it to run reasonably well, the stock eprom and cans will have to be exchanged for aftermarkets. If you want the bike to run really nicely, an airbox mod and a regearing may be necessary for your tastes. Other than these things, it's a great bike.......I bought mine new and have delt with every one of these issues other than the cracked engine case (I have not upgraded to the Nichol's). Advantages of the '98 compared to other year ST2?......adjustable front and rear suspension......it's not the best, but at least it is adjustable......I can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I bought a '98 ST2 a few years back, and have 26K mi. on it. The only probs. I've
had were the connector between the stator and RR. And the injection hose inside the tank ruptured. I was able to "limp home" at about 1/16th throttle.

Anyway, bring the VIN to your local dealer after you buy it, and have them see what recall campains have been completed on it. At a minimum, it needs to have a shifter that's not as short as your 916 (that's what came on the 98's). They changed it to a longer shifter.
Might be subject to the fuel line recall...Mine wasn't, but it still blew.
Might need a "hardened" keeper/washer/retainer on the counter shaft sprocket.
Probably needs the "Stator recall" - Special spacer that allows more oil to the stator, and they actualy install a new stator.

My local dealer was great with this, and actually let me do the shifter and retainer. He pretty much handed me the parts! They needed to do the stator because the engine cover needs to come off. (Hey, I didn't even buy hte bike from him, but he was more than willing to check the VIN/recall stuff.)

If you can ride at nite w/ the 916, the ST2 headlight won't be a big bother.
What you can expect is SBK handling, with the gift of luggage, and giving your wrists a nice break! I've done 700 mile days on mine w/ the OEM seat. I recently "upgraded" to the newer ST3 seat, and it's not only better for the pilot, but it's tons better for my kids when they ride bitch. The OEM seat has them sliding into me by merely chopping the throttle. ST3 seat fixes that, totally!

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Forgot...the gearing, I think, it close to perfect on the ST2. It's 15/42, and maybe I'm crazy, but I kept reaching for a 7th gear this past weekend up here in CT and Mass.
IT was quite a zesty ride! :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts